Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this is something that I was hoping might go away (like get trapped and stay in the radiator...forever), but I did a coolant drain and flush (with 2 gallons of distilled water to get all the orange out) before I added my Engine Ice. I stopped for lunch after the bike was drained for about an hour before I started working on cutting the hose and when I was curiously feeling the inside of the hard coolant pipe that runs along the frame I had some small black flakes that came out on my finger. Well I wiped them out as best as I could and then did a little scraping in there with my finger nail looking for more and didn't get any. Well after I finished the install, I poured in my Engine Ice, fired her up, and after the bike warmed up and the thermostat opened there were all these black flakes floating through the glass :chainsaw: Really!!! Again, the only reason I'm bringing it up now is that I was hoping it would go away. Anyone else have this problem? The only resolution I can think of is to drain the Engine Ice, filtrate it of the damned flakes and re-fill the bike again.
I can put up a crappy video if any of you want to see it.

Jeff

·
It's so easy....
186 Posts
Draining and filtering the coolant is probably going to be your best bet. It sounds like residue from the metal lines on the bike. Pretty normal, but can be ugly.

Once you drain it get some radiator flush to clean out the scale and it should take care of the problem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i have the same issue, you're not alone. Let me know how you fix it.

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Draining and filtering the coolant is probably going to be your best bet. It sounds like residue from the metal lines on the bike. Pretty normal, but can be ugly.

Once you drain it get some radiator flush to clean out the scale and it should take care of the problem.
This isn't the typical scale build up like can be found after months/years of running tap water mixed with antifreeze in a radiator. This is some black flake. Some pieces are big and then there are some small ones as well.
I'm a little ticked about it, but I don't want to be tearing the bike apart just to get this fixed. So far, I'm the only one to notice. If others take note (or the flaking gets worse) then I'm going to have to tear it down for a flush.
To be continued, and thanks for the reply.

Jeff

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man, I don't know. My '09 is brilliant silver, but the coolant pipes are black so maybe.
I went on a nice long ride down to St. Augustine and past the fort tonight and after getting back home there were all kinds of flakes passing through the glass...it's whatever :surrender

Jeff

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Man, I don't know. My '09 is brilliant silver, but the coolant pipes are black so maybe.
I went on a nice long ride down to St. Augustine and past the fort tonight and after getting back home there were all kinds of flakes passing through the glass...it's whatever :surrender

Jeff
That's what your wife/girfriends panty hose are for!!

Put them back when you're done.

See you at the Rooster!!!

Regards

Jerry

·
NSFW
1,984 Posts
That's what your wife/girfriends panty hose are for!!

Put them back when you're done.

See you at the Rooster!!!

Regards

Jerry
:laugh::popcorn

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
...is this an F problem only? seems i haven't read any of this about the earlier KG installs???

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
...is this an F problem only? seems i haven't read any of this about the earlier KG installs???
Not sure, but I pick my bike back up from the dealer tomorrow after dyno, 1k mile tune and paint fix on front fender. Somehow I don't think the flakes will be gone.

Jeff

·
Registered
544 Posts
Killerglass is kickass

Installed mine last week , looks sweet as !!!
No black flakes so I'm happy with that !!!!
Thanks for the help and advice on the install :)
Now for the air suspension , im thinking of
Arnotts , any pros or cons ???:moped:

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Installed mine last week , looks sweet as !!!
No black flakes so I'm happy with that !!!!
Thanks for the help and advice on the install :)
You're most welcome...now where's the pics of it?

My black flakes are getting smaller and smaller with every run that I do. I'm sure that they'll eventually start finding little places to hide in the coolant system :spank:
When I get back from sea, I'm going to drain the coolant system and see if I can strain that crap out. I'm also going to do another fresh water flush too to force that crap out too...with the hose this time.
...why am I letting little black flakes annoy me? Should I really be this concerned about them or just run with it and call it good? What do y'all think?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Black flakes suck

**** having black flakes ....
;-)
If I could work out how to post pics
From my iPhone I would got a nice one of
Me wasting my tyre last week , you can just
See the K G in the thick of it !!!!
I think one more crowd pleaser and it's a new
260 for me .....:moped:

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've used photoucket for years to host pics and now there is a free photobucket app for the iPhone. I can take a pic and upload it to photobucket all within the app.
This is just one of several free image/video hosting sites, but this one has it's own app. Good luck slaying the rest of your rear tire :angeldev:

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would flush until I got the flakes out. Otherwise it would drive me apeshit crazy.

Phatass
Thanks, Phatass. They're gonna get ground up nicely by the waterpump tonight when I go for my last good run until the end of October. The ocean is calling and it's time for me to go out for a little while.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
How many people look at your killerglass while the engine is running? When my engine is running no one that I know is fast enough to inspect my water...

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How many people look at your killerglass while the engine is running? When my engine is running no one that I know is fast enough to inspect my water...
I had a lady notice them while I had the bike running recently and then after I shut down the engine the flakes slowly drift around in the coolant in front of the led. I hate them and wish them a slow painful death...final answer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts