Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tricks in removing / installing the kickstand? I've got a chrome one to install but it's cold outside, I don't longer than I have to! Thanks, Steve.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Steve the kickstand is very easy, it should only take five minutes. Much easier on a jack for sure. If memory serves me I changed mine while it was in the up position and pulled the pin out with the spring still attached and then used the reverse of that to reinstall. It is good to have some anti seize around for the pin and bushing.

Max

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, Thanks, I got it on! To late to chrome the bushing & spring, great idea thow. My bushing was fine. I think the kickstand is made of regular steel, mine had rust on the bottom where it meets the ground.

Now I have another question.........when changing/removing the brake pedal, how do you get that pin out? I took the tiny cotter key out but I can't get the pin to slide out. Did I mention it's frigging cold out? Thanks, Steve.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Chrome the spring? :confused:

That doesn't sound right to me, :rolleyes: when you chrome plate something it results in a hard coating, and doesn't the spring flex expand and contract when the kickstand is put down and retracted? The first time you put your kickstand down wouldn't that crack the chrome?

And I wonder about chroming the bushing as well or is this a joke carried over from another thread I may have missed?

Dave

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think he ment chrome the pin that goes threw the bushing. I have had springs plated before. They must develop very small cracks becuase they seem to atract rust after use.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Steve there is no real trick, the pin is steel while the lever is aluminum so you have the possiblity for galvonic reaction between the two different types of metals and the pin is probably frozen in. It has no threads and must be pushed from the inside to the outside.

Attachments

·
O-FNG
321 Posts
Hey Dave....No joke on chroming the top bushing or the spring. I had them both triple plated by a local company that does show quality chroming. Both parts cost about $10 total to chrome. No cracks, or problems (yet), just a nice finished look to the set.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Steve .......When I put my forward controls on I ran into the same problem. If my memory serve me right, once you remove the foot peg you can rotate the brake peddle and knock the pin out with a hammer and punch. I opened the hole with the next size drill just enought to install the pin with my fingers, use with a dab of Neverseize when you reinstall the pin so if you need to remove it again it will be alot easier. Good luck Greg

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got it! I sprayed some WD40 on it and let it sit overnight, a couple taps with a small hammer and it's out! What a pain in the a$$ for such a little part. I did open up the hole a few thousands with a drill on the replacement as Greg recomened and put a dab of anti seize on it per Max. Thanks all!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Steve thats good news. It does seem to be a poor design for a pin, I have noticed that several of the pegs and pins all seem to have that problem.

I always use a lot of anti sieze with the pins and axles on this bike.

Max

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
hmmm, I know on the Softails, that pin is a friction fit intentionally, and a right bitch to get out at times.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Chrome kickstand spring

You should be able to get a chrome kickstand spring from your dealer. there are a couple different length springs, so if they compare the length on an factory vrod spring to a chrome one it will work fine. I have one installed on my vrod with a chrome kickstand and it works fine.

just my .02

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
My stand came with a new chrome pin.I put a 10mm id chrome waser on top of the brass bushing.The od of the washer is the size of the bushing.It left just enough room for the cotter pin.

Elrod on the V-Rod

Still running the stock doggy butt

·
AMF
423 Posts
Please fellas, it's a "Jiffy Stand" ;) ;)

Only bicycles have kickstands

1 - 20 of 33 Posts