Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After not wearing any helmet at all for the entire season, I recently purchased the Bell Custom 500 3/4 helmet. I absolutely hate the full-face I own, and feel off-balance, top heavy, claustrophobic, deaf, scrunch-faced... Etc. So I finally said eff'it, and started looking for a light, low-riding open-face helmet that I could get in a reasonable amount of time. After researching a little bit online it seemed like the Bell 500 was the way to go. Just my luck, gloss black was backordered till November so I went with Orange. It's been raining for almost 2 weeks non-stop as well, so in the meantime I also ordered a Fulmer V2 in gloss black, including a dark smoke and clear bubble shield.

As far as exterior demensions go, they seem identical. Weight seems about the same too. I haven't had much time to closely compare why, but the Fulmer fits considerably tighter than the Bell, but once it's on it's super comfy. The only downside it that I pretty much destroy my ears every time I take it off.

This past Sunday I rode for about 2 hours with the Bell 500 and riding glasses on and it was extremely comfortable and so light I forgot I even had it on! Today I rode for 3 hours with the Fulmer V2 and dark smoke shield. Again, just as light and the bubble worked great. So far these seem like great helmets, well worth the money...

·
Dean
775 Posts
The Fulmer with the bubble shield looks great. I thought the bubble shield would actually look, too big....but it looks great.

Where did you order it from? Do they run true to size...compared to other helmets you have?

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Fulmer with the bubble shield looks great. I thought the bubble shield would actually look, too big....but it looks great.

Where did you order it from? Do they run true to size...compared to other helmets you have?
I actually ordered the Fulmer from a local (import) dealer. No one around here stocks either of them. As far as fit goes, compared to my old Scorpion FF and current 7zero7 FF, it's about the same for a Large in all 3. The main difference is that the V2 is so much tighter to get on and off, but it has the same fit once it's on... If that makes any sense? Hopefully it'll break in, because my ears are BUSTED up. Anyway, the fit and finish of the Bell is a little nicer, interior liner, chrome trim, etc. I'll snap some pics with the shield on the orange too...

·
Dean
775 Posts
Surprisingly......

A HD dealer did have a large V2 in stock. At first glance it looked like a kids helmet as it looked too tiny. But it did fit...kinda. It was a little tight across my hairline. But it was extremely light.

Something to think about for next season, maybe.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I like the bubble shield. My flat copper Biltwell got into my hands yesterday.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
you guys know the "Trick" of getting a HElmet to fit comfortably dont you?
Take a Hard HAndle Hairbrush or Screwdriver handle and gently Press in the areas that are causing you trouble. The Foam compresses a bit and the fit gets much better.

·
Dean
775 Posts
you guys know the "Trick" of getting a HElmet to fit comfortably dont you?
Take a Hard HAndle Hairbrush or Screwdriver handle and gently Press in the areas that are causing you trouble. The Foam compresses a bit and the fit gets much better.
Fur real? My wife has a terrible time trying to find a helmet that fits. She has a pea head. Her half helmet is too big...it is a XS. Her full face is a small and it compresses her jawbone so much...the padding leaves a mark, but a medium is to big.

I will have to try this "trick" on her helmet tomorrow.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Fur real? My wife has a terrible time trying to find a helmet that fits. She has a pea head. Her half helmet is too big...it is a XS. Her full face is a small and it compresses her jawbone so much...the padding leaves a mark, but a medium is to big.

I will have to try this "trick" on her helmet tomorrow.
It only works in the Styrofoam parts, Dont go crazy either doing it, take it easy and slow so you dont do too much than it will be loose.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Yes it fits great. Nice helmet. I'll post a pic when I get a chance

1 - 13 of 13 Posts