Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having two issues lately with my DX.

First: My key fob warning light is constanly on. I have the security system/fob enabled....typical deal...nowhere near the bike, the warning light comes on, and it won't start. Place it in range and it starts up fine. The issue is I let it run and start riding for a minute and the key warning lights up and stays on the entire ride...everytime I ride it does it. Shut the bike off and turn it back and with no issues. Changed the fob battery and no luck. Basically it all works 100% but that damn key warning light comes on and stays on for my entire ride everytime I'm out. Maybe I'm crazy or maybe its chance but I feel it started when I installed my Heavy Cycles light.

Second: I've had a very intermittent water temp warning light come on. Probably 8k on my bike now and just started. Its still the original coolant. Maybe 4-5 times it just randomly pops on for a bit (2-10min) and goes off. Sometimes it during stop and go riding (nothing too hot weather wise) and the other day it was while riding on thw highway on and easy cruise speed on a cool morning. Just as quick as it comes on it goes away and doesn't come back. Coolant levels look ok. Not sure what to think

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd be checking out the coolant temp light to see if its a fault with the wiring or something like that or an actual high temp.
Are the fans on when the light comes on?
Do the fans come on if you let the bike idle for a long time, 5-10 min?
Not sure about the PC111 but with the PCV you can plug a lap top in and see the temp and check that the fans come on at the correct temp, and see the fans pull the temp down .

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Pull & check for codes/historical codes

·
Registered
655 Posts
I wouldnt keep going down the road with the temp light on until you check for stored codes and know for sure its not overheating.Sounds alot like my bike when the triple sprocket bolt backed out.
The weird thing was the bike would run normal for a day or two and then overheat for 10 or 15 minutes on the highway for no aparent reason all day long then run fine for a days.The bolt was tightening and loosening on its own.Meanwhile I had half the required oil pressure with no indication except for two very quick oil light flickers and a sump full of shavings.
You can also check the fans with a simple IR gun.My fans came on around 205 and shut down around 180.The idiot light trips at 240.Not saying thats your problem but you dont want an ID 10 T failure.Everyone should check that friggin bolt and locktite that basterd down.

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
I've been having two issues lately with my DX.

First: My key fob warning light is constanly on. I have the security system/fob enabled....typical deal...nowhere near the bike, the warning light comes on, and it won't start. Place it in range and it starts up fine. The issue is I let it run and start riding for a minute and the key warning lights up and stays on the entire ride...everytime I ride it does it. Shut the bike off and turn it back and with no issues. Changed the fob battery and no luck. Basically it all works 100% but that damn key warning light comes on and stays on for my entire ride everytime I'm out. Maybe I'm crazy or maybe its chance but I feel it started when I installed my Heavy Cycles light.

Mine has done the same thing ever since I installed my LED signals (no load equalizer) a month or 2 ago. I was out of my mind trying to figure out why. Then I realized, it doesn't go on UNTIL I use a blinker for the first time. Try it...

Firemt27 said:
Second: I've had a very intermittent water temp warning light come on. Probably 8k on my bike now and just started. Its still the original coolant. Maybe 4-5 times it just randomly pops on for a bit (2-10min) and goes off. Sometimes it during stop and go riding (nothing too hot weather wise) and the other day it was while riding on thw highway on and easy cruise speed on a cool morning. Just as quick as it comes on it goes away and doesn't come back. Coolant levels look ok. Not sure what to think
Holy crap man! Only 8k??? My '09 is pushing 20k! :D. I was a maniac the past 2 seasons though, and unfortunately it'll probably slow down a little now... :(

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are the fans on when the light comes on?
Do the fans come on if you let the bike idle for a long time, 5-10 min?
Just took another ride tonight to work. Air temps are were about 50ish, nice easy 20 min ride nothing crazy. Light came on about 5 minutes in and stayed on for the remainder of the ride. Yes, the fans were on when the light was. This is the worst it has been so far. Was thinking drain and flush the system tomorrow. Waste of time or good idea?

Pull & check for codes/historical codes
How do you do this?

Mine has done the same thing ever since I installed my LED signals (no load equalizer) a month or 2 ago. I was out of my mind trying to figure out why. Then I realized, it doesn't go on UNTIL I use a blinker for the first time. Try it...

Holy crap man! Only 8k??? My '09 is pushing 20k! :D. I was a maniac the past 2 seasons though, and unfortunately it'll probably slow down a little now... :(
On the plus side I figured out the key fob light. Yes, no signal use and no issue. The second you use the signal for the first time it goes on and stays on. Maybe the lack of load equalizer is causing this?

I lied....9k:hidesbeh:. Sad, I know. I still live in a condo without a garage. Although I keep it in a garage in town, unless I'm out for a long ride its not worth going to get just for day to day stuff or short trips. Give it one week in overnight in my lot and I'm sure it would be stolen. I wont even mention working like crazy.

EDIT TO POST: So this morning I returned home. Same nice easy ride and route with temps again in the 50's. No water temp light for the entire ride but while cruising mid ride I think the fan kicked on (no light still) for a bit. Now I'm confused. I'm gonna get an ir temp reader and carry it with me to make sure its not overheating. The warning light and fan are one thing, I just want to make sure it's truely not over heating.

·
Premium Member
11,245 Posts
I would not ride his bike until you find out what is wrong. Sounds like coolant issues and the bike may overheat. I would check the triple sprocket bolt for tightness first off.
The fans coming on while riding in 50° outside temperatures is a sure sign your cooling system is not working.
The Key fob warning light is also used to tell you you have a engine problem. You need to pull the DTC's looking for some clue.

CHECK THAT TRIPLE SPROCKET BOLT. There are issues with it not being properly torqued from the factory and catastrophic engine failure can occur if it backs out all the way.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not sure what you mean by 'KEY FOB WARNING LIGHT"
If you have LED s back and front without an equaliser of resistors to increase the load the red key warning light on the speedo face will come on the first time you use the indicators and stay on.

With the coolant light, the fact the fans come on as well seems to indicate an actual cooling problem.
If I had this problem I would still like to confirm that the coolant is over temp, with some sort of external temp. indicator, infrared gun or a thermometer strapped to the radiator inlet.
If this confirms a cooling problem, start with the easy things first.
Try burping the coolant system first through the bleed you access through the bottom of the air box.
If that does't fix it look at the tripple sprocket bolt.

·
Noel
4,579 Posts
I would not ride his bike until you find out what is wrong. Sounds like coolant issues and the bike may overheat. I would check the triple sprocket bolt for tightness first off.
The fans coming on while riding in 50° outside temperatures is a sure sign your cooling system is not working.
The Key fob warning light is also used to tell you you have a engine problem. You need to pull the DTC's looking for some clue.

CHECK THAT TRIPLE SPROCKET BOLT. There are issues with it not being properly torqued from the factory and catastrophic engine failure can occur if it backs out all the way.
Agree with Rusty, CHECK THAT BOLT!!!!!!

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Im starting to think you should pull the right side cover and check that bolt.Do it yourself wont take more than 30minutes and will wreck the motor due to low oil pressure very quickly .The dealer will be no help.When ever you have an overtheating or oil pressure problem its the easiest and first place to look.You wont get an oil light as the switch is set to 5psi but your motor will puke with less then 30psi at idle.It can also wreck the intermediate shaft threads and case bushings.
Every one needs to check that bastard bolt especially the OP as it can cost you a new motor.Read my earlier post the symptoms now sound identical.Search for the video that Max made or i will find it an post it for you as its that important and also search triple spocket bolt backing out.I would not even start the bike until its checked.The overheating is the less of an issue than the oil but may be your only indication if the bolt backs out

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Last night I flushed aand changed the fluid and burped the system. Same 25 mile easy ride last night to work and approx 55 degrees. Still the light came on and the fan ran the entire time. Unfortunately I decided to ride it to work so I'm going straight home to check the bolt. After that I give up and its stealership time.

Not sure what you mean by 'KEY FOB WARNING LIGHT"
If you have LED s back and front without an equaliser of resistors to increase the load the red key warning light on the speedo face will come on the first time you use the indicators and stay on.

With the coolant light, the fact the fans come on as well seems to indicate an actual cooling problem.
If I had this problem I would still like to confirm that the coolant is over temp, with some sort of external temp. indicator, infrared gun or a thermometer strapped to the radiator inlet.
If this confirms a cooling problem, start with the easy things first.
Try burping the coolant system first through the bleed you access through the bottom of the air box.
If that does't fix it look at the tripple sprocket bolt.
Thanks for the info. I've confirmed what you are saying regarding the key fob icon. I'll have to order a set of resistors. I did get a hold of an IR gun and after last nights ride and overheat light the highest temp I could find was 190ish.
Thanks!
Im starting to think you should pull the right side cover and check that bolt.Do it yourself wont take more than 30minutes and will wreck the motor due to low oil pressure very quickly .The dealer will be no help.When ever you have an overtheating or oil pressure problem its the easiest and first place to look.You wont get an oil light as the switch is set to 5psi but your motor will puke with less then 30psi at idle.It can also wreck the intermediate shaft threads and case bushings.
Every one needs to check that bastard bolt especially the OP as it can cost you a new motor.Read my earlier post the symptoms now sound identical.Search for the video that Max made or i will find it an post it for you as its that important and also search triple spocket bolt backing out.I would not even start the bike until its checked.The overheating is the less of an issue than the oil but may be your only indication if the bolt backs out
Reading more and more I can't believe how much of and issue this is. Thanks for the video.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Just paying it forward,without this site and people on it some of which have already posted here I would have been screwed.
Still I hesitated pulling the cover and took it to the dealer as my riding buddies all said I should let them find it.The dealer had no clue and the response was that if the bolt had backed out the motor would have blown immediately.They stood fast on wanting pull the oil and water pump.I had to force the issue and get nasty with them just to check it after which they told me the bolt backing out had nothing to do with low oil pressure and still wanted to pull both pumps.
I told them to order the bolt,not touch anything else and we would see how it went once it was installed with blue locktite.THERE IS NO FORM OF RETENTION ON THIS BOLT OTHER THAN 17FT-LBS TORQUE. NO LOCK WASER ,SET SCREW NOTHING.When done the bike ran cool and the oil pressure came back well within spec.
If it is the bolt you should clean the inside threads of the intermediate shaft by dipping a Q tip in brake fluid to get all the oil/shavings off the intermediate shaft threads as locktite will not set in the presents of oil.Then install a new bolt,don't be too concerned if the bolt is chewed to shit as mine was stripped clean of threads to about a 1/2" from the end.The intermediate shaft threading is harder than the bolt.
I then ran cheap dino oil for 500 miles strained and dumped it, checked the oil filter for filings and added water wetter to the coolant for good measure(didn't really need it as it was already running cool).Now the fans only come on very hot days at long stop lights.
The bike sat at the dealers for a week waiting for the bolt and only took 1.5 hrs to fix including 20 minutes for the locktite to set and and 1/2 hour to test oil pressure and put the air box and oil sender back on.My oil pressure went from 35psi to 75psi @ 180 degrees and 3000rpm.Hot idle was 60psi
I'm no expert on this bike but through this site I knew far more than the dealer who was in fact very honest but quick to dismiss the bolt.I would check it just to be safe and not piss around like i did.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I finally made it home and pulled the cover. The bolt in question was completely loose (floating around) inside the cover and chewed to crap. Looks like Im gonna order one from Harley. Now that I found the problem I'm hopefully going to solve this issue once I put the new bolt on.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like that stupid bolt was the my whole issue. Replaced the bolt, loctite, and torqued the hell out of it. Rode today with the 90+ heat with no issues at all! Thanks to everyone who pointed me in the right direction.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Happy happy happy.You just saved yourself $400 not having the dealer dick with it.Now change your oil and filter and get the rid of the remnants of that bolt if you have not already

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Happy happy happy.You just saved yourself $400 not having the dealer dick with it.Now change your oil and filter and get the rid of the remnants of that bolt if you have not already
I love doing stuff myself. Not only do I save huge amounts of money but I also avoid the irritation of them not being able to fix the problem and charging me for every "guessed" fix they do.

The only not happy part is draining the $10 a quart synthetic Amsoil but still better than a dealer charge.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts