Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a cheap way to get a spare key and alarm fob?

Example: If you need a key for a touring model, the key is about $25.00.

BUT.....if you go in and order a lock for your tour pak, you get the lock and TWO keys, coded to match your original key, all for $30.00.

So, does anyone know of a trick like this for getting keys and maybe a spare fob for the Rod ?
Thanks, and sorry about all the stupid newbie questions !!!

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
I would like to know this also. I need a spare set for myself

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I've bought keys at a dealer.2 for $20.At flea markets I see them 1 for $20.
Thats what I did and it goes under one of the Smartest things I have ever done, I have used the "Extra's" quite a few times when the daily key was misplaced.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lux dude,
I just went and checked out the Anodized Nation link in your post and about spit my meatballs on my computer screen laughing that they even offer a thong with the logo on it !!!!!!!
Sweet !!!!!

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
You got 2 keys for $20.00, cut to your code, from a dealer ???
Yup, bring in Your key, they write down the # on it and you get a set of keys from the factory ( or wherever HD has its Keys made) in about a week. Thats how it worked for me. Mercedes does he same thing (quite a bit more $$$ than the HD Keys)

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
You got 2 keys for $20.00, cut to your code, from a dealer ???
yea,no big deal other than,me,my family and immediate neighbor combined have purchased close to $300,000 worth of new motorcycles in the past 9 years.I think they tend to give us a break with the intentions of us doing it again in the next 8 or 10 years.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well,
I didn't get the little metal tab with the key code on it, and of course the key doesn't have the # on itself. SO, I wonder if they can get the key code by running the VIN thru the computer, anyone know?
Thanks !

·
05 Blue VRSCSE Owner
179 Posts
Did you slide the rubber back off the key? Usually the code is scribed in the metal of the key under the rubber coating. Just checking.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
D mac
Thanks dude, went out and slid the rubber off and there was the #. Just hope my local Harley dealer will sell me 2 new ones for $20.00.
Peace.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
yea,no big deal other than,me,my family and immediate neighbor combined have purchased close to $300,000 worth of new motorcycles in the past 9 years.I think they tend to give us a break with the intentions of us doing it again in the next 8 or 10 years.
I have spent under $900 at the dealership I go to (not including the warranty work they have done a few times) and got the same deal. It was in 2005 when I bought the bike so it might have gone up a bit.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
lux dude,
I just went and checked out the Anodized Nation link in your post and about spit my meatballs on my computer screen laughing that they even offer a thong with the logo on it !!!!!!!
Sweet !!!!!
Yes sir, that site - owned and operated by the Harley MoCo - about says all need be said! :rofl:

·
Retired, Not SLOW!
6,000 Posts
Is there a cheap way to get a spare key and alarm fob?

Example: If you need a key for a touring model, the key is about $25.00.

BUT.....if you go in and order a lock for your tour pak, you get the lock and TWO keys, coded to match your original key, all for $30.00.

So, does anyone know of a trick like this for getting keys and maybe a spare fob for the Rod ?
Thanks, and sorry about all the stupid newbie questions !!!
Don't know any way to get those except just buy 'em from the dealer. And, if you don't want to make another trip,
be sure to have 'em "mated" to your alarm system before you leave the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
if you own a fob, can you program it to another bike?

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
if you own a fob, can you program it to another bike?
In theory yes, but only two fobs can be assigned to each HD security system and the fobs need to be compatible with the security module. When assigning a fob any successful assignment will erase all previous assignments so both fobs need to be present and assigned during the same programming sequence. If you have the newer (since 2007) buttonless fobs, the dealer will need to use his Digital Technician to assign the serial # for both fobs so you need to bring the fobs and your bike to a dealer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts