Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2" of dangling death
10,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i see barnett has a kevlar and carbon fiber clutch kit both are the same price so what better or what is the advantages or disadvantages of each.

·
The Hawk
3,785 Posts
I can't speak for the carbon fiber clutch, but I put the extra plate kevlar clutch in my V Rod a couple of weeks ago. Took it to the races last Sunday, made 10 runs and it performed flawlessly all day. My 60' times went from 1.98 a month ago with the stock clutch to 1.74 last weekend. Launches were at 5500 to 6000 and used a PC quick shifter down track. I hear the carbon fiber will last longer under racing conditions but the kevlar is very smooth.

Mike

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I'm the same way but in reverse....never tried the Kevlar clutch in this bike......but the carbon fiber has been working great....very smooth launch......better than average 60' times.....
I told Ian at Cycle Connection that if he doesn't already stock the carbon fiber kits, he should go ahead and put some in stock....so if anyone is looking for this setup, he's the guy to call....

·
Registered
295 Posts
Guy at Barnett told me unless your going to be at the strip all the time go with Kevlar - about the same life as carbon fiber but made for street.
Dan

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Don't know about the kevlar clutch's ability to withstand street use....I guess they would be fine....but I did try another brand of Kevlar clutch in my import bike....it sat all winter one year and when I opened the clutch cover I found some of the "buttons" of kevlar material had actually come off of the metal plate material. Don't know if it happened before I put it away for the winter or not. I thought it was because of the plates soaking in the oil all winter.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I just ordered the carbon fiber from Cycle Connection in Joplin, Mo. MIKELEWIS hooked me up with Ian at Cycle Connections and he gave me a hell of a deal.

When I talked to the people at Barnett's and inquired about the difference between the Kevlar and Carbon Fiber, they said that the Carbon Fiber was stronger and lighter.

·
Registered Addict
2,182 Posts
Hope he has one more of those carbon clutch kits, I am gonna order one this week most likely. I'm tired of mine slipping all the time. Anyone know how many hours the dealerships normally charge to install these?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Elgavilan said:
I can't speak for the carbon fiber clutch, but I put the extra plate kevlar clutch in my V Rod a couple of weeks ago. Took it to the races last Sunday, made 10 runs and it performed flawlessly all day. My 60' times went from 1.98 a month ago with the stock clutch to 1.74 last weekend. Launches were at 5500 to 6000 and used a PC quick shifter down track. I hear the carbon fiber will last longer under racing conditions but the kevlar is very smooth.

Mike
One of the techs from a local independendant shop races and runs the carbon fiber set up on a big Kowy.He says the draw back that he has found in the 0 to 60 ft is temerature.The higher the temp gets the slower the time.Maybe different w the Revo because of the temp being pretty consistant.He uses castrol oil.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guy at Barnett told me unless your going to be at the strip all the time go with Kevlar - about the same life as carbon fiber but made for street.
Dan
i put Barntt Kevlar clutch plates in my SuperGlide and am happy with it , lookin forward to a worry free year of riding

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I have 11 disc (2 extra plates) Barnett's carbon and heavy 70% springs and it sucks. Kind of on/off clutch and it is dragging. Master/slave cylinder combination does not make enough movement for proper release. Finding neutral from first gear side is impossible. From second gear side sometimes. Avoid this setup. Planning to go lock up again this offseason.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts