Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

was thinging about getting some kevlar jeans, but what does everyone thing?

Do they offer the protection needed?

or am i best to stay with leathers?

Mark

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I'm not sure how well they actually work but the ones I've tried fit and looked horrible to the point I refused to wear them. Which........ made them pretty unsafe (sitting in a drawer). I'd make an educated assumption that leather would perform better in an actual accident also.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Most look like hell.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've worn draggin jeans in the past. They look like normal jeans but have gotten to be pretty warm in the Texas summer heat.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I wear Draggin Jeans, for summer riding.
I prefer the "cargo pants" rather than the jeans, and I only do black.

They do tend to fade during the season, but you can dye them black again really easily.

Here is their demo, though there are loads of others around.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DragginJeansAUS#p/a/u/2/GDPcFGV9vPg

There is no cushioning armour, as standard, but you can buy inserts.

Also, buy a size larger.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
I wear draggin camo's in the summer.next time I fall off i'll let you know how good they were!

·
Registered
400 Posts
i wear red route kevlar jeans. agree with the above about getting a size up from what you normally buy. I have found them to be great though and they have inserts for armour if thats important for you.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
i wear black draggin jeans in the summer and they do get a bit warm and i have a pair of waterproof ones for using when the weather gets a bit damp. try them on before you buy. i had to go up 3 sizes to get them to fit. no i hav'nt put on "that" much weight

·
Registered
404 Posts
I wear flip flops, shorts, tee shirt, and helmet. The shorts are like air conditioning for my nuts.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wear flip flops, shorts, tee shirt, and helmet. The shorts are like air conditioning for my nuts.
i really do hope you are joking, as you'll be a goner if u come off.

i cringe when i see bikers in tshirt and shorts

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
"Kevlar, an extremely strong synthetic fiber, might seem to be an ideal fabric for riding gear, but abrasion resistance is not simply a matter of stronger fibers. Apparently, Cordura nylon fibers will stretch over the bumps and snap back to shape, while non-stretching Kevlar fibers will grab the surface bumps and pull apart. That’s why “Kevlar” riding suits are not pure Kevlar fabric, but a blend of special flexible Kevlar fibers, Cordura Nylon, and stretch Lycra. Only one company in the world produces Kevlar fabric suitable for motorcycle garments: Schoeller Textile Company, in Switzerland.

Motoport will custom build a Kevlar suit for you at their Carlsbad, California factory, using Schoeller fabric. Marsee advertises an Ultra Ballistics Kevlar Jacket. Aerostich continues to use only Cordura nylon in their highly respected Roadcrafter and Darien suits."

·
Registered
279 Posts
I bought some Red Route jeans for my trip to DC and back over July 4th, I sprayed them with waterproof silicone spray for a little water resistance, It worked! the east coast had an epic heat wave and no rain. The jeans are comfortable, however as all the reports say they need more belt loops. I have seen some adds for armored under suit, anybody ever try them?

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
The cordura/kevlar mix jacket I wear in the summer months works so well I bought the over pants as well. May not be to stylish but I wear shorts and want at least a little protection. They have armor in the knees and side zippers and peel right off. When it gets cold I go with the leather. I had 1 pair of reinforced jeans, when I crashed the knee tore right out. Turned them into $80 shorts and my knee to swiss cheese.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
IF you kevlar gear is not made by Schoeller Textile Company of Switzerland, then it ain't 100% kevlar riding gear. Most likely a hybrid of kevlar and the ever popular and durable cordura. Even with 100% kevlar jeans, the heat generated by the slide will melt the skin as well as the impact causing quite some damage.

If you're honestly concerned with protection and want it comfortable, ride in your favorite pair(s) of jeans and purchase some leg armor that can be worn comfortably under your jeans. It's what I do and works out the best. Most leg armor can be purchased for 100 bucks or less and can be worn with any pants and be 100% undetectable.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Tried and tested in my Vrod crash. Look great but can get warm but saved my legs from scarring during my crash. Bought another black pair the same as the first pair.

·
Registered
404 Posts
So don't think I have seen one guy on a Harley with a helmet here, and every Harley here I can hear 4 blocks away. Also I have only seen one crotch rocket. It has been about 21 degrees everyday.

I remember the chastising I got from my all the guys at my local when they saw me riding around with no helmet when I first moved to England. Or how I was strong armed into getting a jacket for the ride back from Calne... Even though I had a leather jackets at the house. I was sweating the day I left and only had a backpack of space.

Hope to see you in Calne, worked a drug deal to be back in June, July, and August of 2011 and 2012.

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
So don't think I have seen one guy on a Harley with a helmet here, and every Harley here I can hear 4 blocks away. Also I have only seen one crotch rocket. It has been about 21 degrees everyday.

I remember the chastising I got from my all the guys at my local when they saw me riding around with no helmet when I first moved to England. Or how I was strong armed into getting a jacket for the ride back from Calne... Even though I had a leather jackets at the house. I was sweating the day I left and only had a backpack of space.

Hope to see you in Calne, worked a drug deal to be back in June, July, and August of 2011 and 2012.
Don't wear a leather jacket then, it's your choice. But remember, don't come on here complaining how badly injured you are, IF you ever come off your bike and your not wearing protection. "Strong armed is a bit harsh, you did not HAVE to buy anything if you didn't want to, did you?"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts