Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I’m new here.I ride a 2016 v rod muscle. I ride with guys that have bigger engines, so when we start off the line they pull away quite quickly what do you recommend I do to change that. Once we are up and going I keep up no problem. Thanks

·
'04 1300
3,061 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
youre not reving it hard enough
I totally agree, Don't be afraid to get the rpms up. Don't short shift. Stay on it until close to rev limiter and no way they are going to pull very far away from you. I'm sure they have stump pulling torque (assuming big airheads) but they probably blow through 3 gears and you can still be winding it out in first gear.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Use it or lose it.

I've got a stock 28 tooth front pulley now so all I can say is yes, for the first 50 feet they may pull out a couple bike lengths but once I've got the clutch out and can start to rev it they are going backwards. Next thing that happens they gotta shift and wham I'm revving to the moon in first and blow past 'em - by the time I'm hitting second it's all over, they are flailing around back there bringing torque to a horsepower contest. I agree with pecee & Moler - most guys that are new to V Rods ride them like an airhead and never spin 'em above 5000 Rpm or so - and that's just where they START to really make power so rev it up, use the engine in it's element and you won't be going backwards - guaranteed ! I personally would not put a 26 tooth pulley on a bike ridden on longer trips outside of the city - you'll gain 1st gear launch but rev out and lose gas mileage & range on the highway and your airhead friends will have to stop so you can gas up. I'm going the other way - 30 tooth, straight cut 2nd ( closer in ratio to the middle of first & third ) and a stronger engine to pull it so that should be real fun - and no revving out at higher speeds. :blahblah: :D

·
"Vrod King"
845 Posts
You know I like to wait until they get to the other side of the intersection before I launch it. Makes it more fun when you run them down and scream pass them. The look of total shock on their faces is away worth it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts