Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
1SIKFER
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have decided to keep my 2009 F. Here is my issue I'm forced to deal with. This bike is registered in New Mexico (In the original owners name). I have the signed pink slip in my hand that was signed by the owner and a bill of sale so that's all good.

My big issue it this bike only has 625 miles on it and the California DMV Nazi's will NOT let me register an out of state bike unless it has over 7500 miles. This is a NON CA emissions bike.

·
Registered
294 Posts
So I have decided to keep my 2009 F. Here is my issue I'm forced to deal with. This bike is registered in New Mexico (In the original owners name). I have the signed pink slip in my hand that was signed by the owner and a bill of sale so that's all good.

My big issue it this bike only has 625 miles on it and the California DMV Nazi's will NOT let me register an out of state bike unless it has over 7500 miles. This is a NON CA emissions bike.

So I figure I could swap over to a speedo with 7500+ miles on it....let the CA DMV Nazi's look it over, sign it off and get the registration for CA. Sounds semi simple.

I also need to Rent or Buy a Cluster/Speedo for a simple inspection. Does anyone have a speedo with 7500+ miles i can rent from them?
i only have 6300 on mine:(

·
1SIKFER
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ride it :). You've only got 6875 miles to go...that's easy
I'd love to.....however the New Mexico registration is up as of April 2010.

...........and if you know anything about the famous California Highway Patrol or Local Police here in my neck of the woods well then you'd be searching for a speedo too. :D

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
Kingsize, is the CA rule about 7500 miles due to it being a a NON CA emissions bike? Or is that the rule for any out of state bike?

·
1SIKFER
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kingsize, is the CA rule about 7500 miles due to it being a a NON CA emissions bike? Or is that the rule for any out of state bike?
That's just a lame California rule on any out of state bike.

If it was not purchased in CA then it must have over 7500 miles on it to register here.

Rules sure have changed since I bought my SUZUKI RG500 GAMMA and imported it from Europe. I could only imagine how hard it would be to register that 2 stroke GP bike here now.

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
That's just a lame California rule on any out of state bike.
I'm trying to wrap my head around the purpose of such a rule. It's not making much sense.

I was close to relocating to SoCal this year, my avatar pic was shot at Laguna Beach at my last visit. I was wondering about my bike and if there would be problems. I don't have 7500 yet, not even close.

SoCal traffic is god awful. I do like the way motorcycles are allowed to zip in-between cars.

·
1SIKFER
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm trying to wrap my head around the purpose of such a rule. It's not making much sense.

I was close to relocating to SoCal this year, my avatar pic was shot at Laguna Beach at my last visit. I was wondering about my bike and if there would be problems. I don't have 7500 yet, not even close.

SoCal traffic is god awful. I do like the way motorcycles are allowed to zip in-between cars.
Well here is the deal....since I am a CA native/resident the DMV will not let me buy an out of state bike unless it has 7500 miles on it.

Since you are from OH and a resident there (I assume) you are ok to move here and re-register your bike here as well. Even if it does not have 7500 miles on it. Guess that's CA's way of saying please move here we really need more traffic. :D

Trust me I'm looking for any loop hole I can find....hell all I want to do it ride my brand new bike....I'm already paying for insurance on it.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
I'm not sure about this, and I think I'm wrong, but this topic has been discussed countless times here. For some reason, I want to think you can't do that because of the ECM..it stores the mileage data in it.

Can't you just register it at an out of state family member's residence until you get to 7500 miles? Find a state that has a lower tax rate than California, and you'll save a few bucks too. Plus, insurance has to be cheaper.

·
1SIKFER
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure about this, and I think I'm wrong, but this topic has been discussed countless times here. For some reason, I want to think you can't do that because of the ECM..it stores the mileage data in it.

Can't you just register it at an out of state family member's residence until you get to 7500 miles? Find a state that has a lower tax rate than California, and you'll save a few bucks too. Plus, insurance has to be cheaper.
Yeah I have hit the "Search" button here many times....but everything i find on here has nothing to back up the statement. Everything I see is a different situation....I could be wrong.

I wish I had family in another state...that would have made it MUCH easier on me and I would have gone that route. That said all of my family are either here in CA or in Sicily.

·
Registered
129 Posts
you can regi it here in NY in my name

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
For this, California DMV is gay. Thank-you

·
Registered
569 Posts

·
boredom kills
2,310 Posts
Would it just be a matter of paying the dealer to flash the ecm with the Califonia specs and then taking the reciept to DMV?

·
Registered
394 Posts
It can't be done because the bikes bought in other states don't pass CA emissions. Cars gave up awhile ago and they, for the most part, only produce versions that pass in all 50 states. California is simply saying that you need to buy a bike that passes our emissions laws. They exempt older used bikes but not the newer ones, since buying a low mileage used bike then bringing it would be an easy way around the law.

I agree that all of this is a pain in the @ss, but why would you buy the bike and then complain about the law? It's been that way for quite a while.

·
1SIKFER
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree that all of this is a pain in the @ss, but why would you buy the bike and then complain about the law? It's been that way for quite a while.
Simple answer is....I was NOT aware of this law.

This is the first "Out of state" bike I have had in over 10 years. When you don't have to deal with it your unaware of it.

Really it's not that big a deal...I traded an old Jeep for the bike. I had very little $ into that Jeep so If i sell this bike off for cheap it's a win win either way.

·
Registered Boozer
1,529 Posts
kingsize,

Thanks for the info.

You are stuck between a rock and hard place here. Still though, tinkering with the Odometer seems very ill advised.

·
1SIKFER
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah I think I need to sell it out of state and buy a CA model. Oh well back to eBay it goes.

·
Noel
4,585 Posts
Any way to find a member here planning a move to CA soon?
sell it to that person, they can Register it where they departing then. Bring in. The registration to Ca then reregister it and then sell it back to you

what stupid law

1 - 20 of 46 Posts