Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know that perhaps this is not the best time of the year for many of you to be reading this post, but summer for you stuck in that white stuff and low, low temperatures is around the corner.

A few weeks back, in an earlier thread I'd posted about a vest that will help keep one cool while riding. Well, this vest can also keep you warm too.

It is made by a gal out of Las Vegas, was reviewed in HD's Thunder mag recently. So I am a sucker for easy living, and bought one of these vests.

The day after it arrived, I attended a biker funeral, and in the early morning hours in Hawaii in January, the temp was nice, but by 10 AM, standing in the sun, it just plain sucked, as being dressed in long lblack Levis, a black Polo shirt with the boots on had me breaking a sweat. So I got the vest out, walked over to a sink that was installed at the beach park where the memorial was being held at, and filled the ziplock bag with water as the instructions stated. Put the vest into the bag, and mushed the water around the vest until most of the water was sucked up into the vest material.

I thought this thing is going to soak me, make my trouser waist band soaked and cause itching in a short amount of time. Well, as the instructions advised, wring the vest out of excess moisture, and put it on.

In about 30 seconds, it was like I was in air conditioning. Unbelievable. The sweating stopped, and I was suddenly comfortable in the sun. Unfortunatley, the vest did not stop the skin from being hot in the sun, and I realized I needed the shade to keep from frying the skin.

When I rode away from the memorial, the vest made me feel even cooler, as I now wear a JoeRocket jacket too, which allows for good air flow. The air flow through the vest dropped the temperature even more. The vest was being worn over the top of the Polo shirt too.

The heat from the motor at traffic lights was not felt either, a real plus for the tropical weather I live in.

The kicker was that one water soak, and the jacket stayed cool until sunset. It still had some moisture in it at dark, and then, it kept me warm as the sun went down. The Polo shirt felt a tad damp, but when the vest came off, in a few minutes all trace of mositure evaporated, and I was dry as a bone

I don't sell these things, as I tried to work a deal with the biz owner. They are a small business getting started, and as yet their programs do not take into account middlemen I believe. But that should not stop me from sharing what I think is something worthwhile to riding friends.

When the hot weather comes, this vest is worth the 85.00 dollar cost, and I would purchase again if something happened to this one.

They use YKK zippers, and high quality materials to manufacture these, and I think with proper care you can get years out of this.

Here is the contact info if your interested:

Chill Out Designs
www.chilloutdesigns.net
702-480-9297
Terry Jackson, President

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Looks gret. Woinder how well it works in cold weather (leave out the water?). Also, the mention Biketoberwest, in San Diego, the middle of March. Hmmm...

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Daniii,

Works well in moderately cool weather (as if 60 and 70 degrees is cool!!), as there is enough material in the vest to act as a liner. If you get caught in a heavy downpour, and the water makes it through whatever you have on, on the outside, this vest will hold that water though.

I rode this in moderate to light rains with no problems with my JoeRocket jacket without its rain liner, and suffered no chills. It was nightime, in the low 70's though so it might not be fair to say it would work in the 50s at night in rainfall. Experimenting will tell, or call Terry to get the straight scoop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts