Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bike is a 2004 vrscb. Because turn signals, brake light etc were not working I checked and replaced the accy fuse. As soon as I turn the ignition on it blows. Is there a notorious place on this year bike to look for a short? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
The bike is a 2004 vrscb. Because turn signals, brake light etc were not working I checked and replaced the accy fuse. As soon as I turn the ignition on it blows. Is there a notorious place on this year bike to look for a short? Any help is appreciated.
Favourite place would be handlebar switches. Have you done any work around here recently?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased the bike at auction so no. I will check there... the clutch side blinker assembly seems loose. Probably a good place to start then.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I purchased the bike at auction so no. I will check there... the clutch side blinker assembly seems loose. Probably a good place to start then.

Thanks
Something as simple as a bulb itself can cause a short within it. Start there. If the fuse blows only on the running light side, search for a problem there for next step. If key on only blows the fuse, it tends to rule out the brake light end of it.
Ron

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Thanks
If you disconnect the handlebar switches, you are looking for an orange/white wire that is touching ground somewhere. This wire also runs to the rear brake light switch and the tail light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Crazy as this sounds but I sold my 07 VRSCX and bought it back after finding out how poorly it was taken care of about 6 or so weeks ago. Long story short, when I went to start the bike, I turned on the accessory switch and the rear brake switch inline with the brake line started smoking and all lights were lost. Replaced the fuse and unplugged the rear brake light switch, all lights worked like a champ. Was a first for me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had vrod since 2005 found the same problem over the years on two different bikes found a can of contact cleaner all over and inside ignition switch fixed it from time to time

·
Ghost Rider
534 Posts
My 2003 is doing the same. Had the dealer do a fuel system update and having the same problem since. Oddly enough, I replace the fuse, no issues with engine on, everything works. I ride it out of the garage and it blows. I figure that to do the fuel pump update they took a lot of stuff out. Maybe frayed a wire.

Guess have to trace that orange/white wire.

Any recommendations are welcomed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts