Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to started my VROD today for the first time in 2 weeks. I had the alarm on the whole time it sat in my garage. It kicked over a couple times and died on me. Bike usually starts on the 2nd or 3rd crank but today it wouldn`t. I gave it a little juice and it cranked 2 more times and Ka-BOOM!!!! It backfired. Wife thought I shot someone. Gave me a heart attack. I then put it on the charger for 20 minutes and she started right up. Let it run for 2 minutes then shut down. I washed and waxed it then tried to start again and Ka-BOOM!!!the same thing happened. Put it back on the charger for a few minutes and it started again. I rode it for about 45 minutes but was afraid to stop somewhere and shut it down. I didn`t feel like getting stranded right before dark. When I got home I shut it off, waited a minute and started it up again. No problem. I`ll see if it starts again tomorrow.:confused:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
TBAG809 I have been keeping an eye on my battery, the bike has a born on date of 04/02 and I am getting close to time for a battery. My voltage after sitting overnight has dropped from 12.4 volts to 12.2 volts in the last two months. I want to find an optima or some other more powerful source when this one dies. The backfire is more then likely fuel in a cylinder and the engine spins forward then kicks backwards from low voltage and then gives a spark to a fueled cylinder with the intake valve open and KABOOM is the result. Make sure to check your air box and velocity stacks that no damage has occured.

Max

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Max, And what kind of damage should I be looking for? I had the air box off the first time and didn`t notice anything.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
TBAG809 remove the air filter and all you want to do is make sure that both velocity stacks are secure. I doubt it would but it could break the base of one of the plastic stacks. If the air box cover was good then your probably fine.

Max

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool Max,

I`ll check tomorrow....

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have had the same thoughts about the battery on my 02; I was thinking if I were going to get a new one I look at the Odyssey battery. I saw something about them on Corbin Ride-on about how they made the Odyssey and how they were one of the few that meets the Government's Mil specs.

Here is their web page:

http://www.odysseydirect.com/

Also here is the summary of the TV show:

http://www.rideontv.com/episodes/2003Season/CRN8001/odyssey.html

Hope this helps,

Dave

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I had a NO2 Back fire on the dyno so big flames came out from under the skin down the bike!My tuner turned it right off and WAVED BY BY!:eek: I about $hit thinking that was my motor!Checked everything out put in fresh plugs then lay'd down 180rwhp!:diablo:

·
Here for the ride
355 Posts
I'm a new vrod owner and a fomer Roadstar owner and I've used the battery tender on both bikes and can't say enough good about this product.

I just figured that ANY bike with a security system is going to have battery drain in a relatively short period of time so why wait for it to die? I purchased a new one (for my truck) recently at batterystuff.com for 47.00.

Hope this helps.

Leo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts