Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm getting ready to install these Air Cleaners and a breather bypass.

Question is - how to you removed the OEM Breather "Stack" from inside the lower airbox? It shows in the parts book as part of the unit. Service manual doesn't mention it at all. Appears to be no fasteners UNDER the lower airbox cover, and no "snap clips" to detach it with.

Do you just BREAK THE SUCKER OFF (point of no return)?

Also forgot (duh) that I put 58mm throttle body on, and the RX-4010 opening is for a 53mm. Temporary solution is to put the short 53mm stacks (that came with the SEII cams) on and either - (a) order a set of billet 58mm stacks - or - (b) sand/polish my "shorty stacks" bottoms to "fade" into the 58mm opening - or - (c) return the RX-4010 and find out which K&N's fit the stock (came with destroyer throttle body) 58mm stacks.

Any way you slice it, I'm venting the breathers to the ground (3/8 t- connector & 4' of 3/8 breather hose), but I still have to "lose" the OEM Breather Tower.

How'd y'all deal with it - since the cone air cleaners won't go on with it installed? Tell me QUICK (LOL) cause I take a hammer to it in about 1/2 hour... :bash:

Rick

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SURVEY SAYS!!!

Dremel Tool.

Just when you thought all those tools "I may only use once" were a waste of $$ (actually, I use my roto all the time).

Step 1 - Cut the Tower off. Top comes off with tabs (that I could see in the sunlight - damn these old eyes), cut around the bottom and make all nice and smooth. Wash it all off to get all the collected oil (Dawn - takes grease outta yer way)

Step 2 - 3/8 plastic T-Connector, clamp type hose clamps, along with a 4' length of 9/32 vacuum hose. Hose run down with coolant overflow (we don't need no stinkin' trees).

Step 3 - Mount filters, put horn compressor back in and button it up.

Used the shortie 53mm stacks that came with the SEii cams for now, just to get it going. Will look for other velocity stack options over the weekend.

Off to the showers and take a ride...

Rick

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty, no doubt - but the airbox bottom is home to a lot of stuff (possibly the Boss Noss 50 shot next), and losing the bottom is not conducive to where I'm going. This thing takes up more real estate than the stock cleaner...

Thanks for the heads up though. I had seen this and took a pass on it for those reasons.

Rick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts