Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so is there a big difference between the 2 differnt filters, and if so what one is better??

·
Tie One On
1,644 Posts
I saw a thread here on the forum not long back with a comparison of air filters. Use the search feature and you might come across it.
Try searching filter comparison

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
Back in June I ordered a SE filter from the dealer. When I got there to pick it up, it was a K&N instead. I honestly can't tell you anything useful other than that the SE is paper and doesn't need to be oiled etc, just clean it with compressed air. The K&N is wool and needs to be oiled but it can be washed and re-oiled and last a lot longer. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken...

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Back in June I ordered a SE filter from the dealer. When I got there to pick it up, it was a K&N instead. I honestly can't tell you anything useful other than that the SE is paper and doesn't need to be oiled etc, just clean it with compressed air. The K&N is wool and needs to be oiled but it can be washed and re-oiled and last a lot longer. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken...
Sounds right to me. I also used BMC filters in my older sport bikes (just like K&N but cheaper).

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
SE is paper and doesn't need to be oiled etc, just clean it with compressed air. The K&N is wool and needs to be oiled but it can be washed and re-oiled and last a lot longer. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken...
Agree except that K&N air filter is cotton fiber (mostly cellulose) not wool fiber (mostly keratin).

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I know the Amsoil air filter is ok to be cleaned with low psi air, but believe the SE filter cautions specifically against this.

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
Agree except that K&N air filter is cotton fiber (mostly cellulose) not wool fiber (mostly keratin).
Doh! That's what I meant.

·
Dean
775 Posts
I went with the SE filter for these reasons -

• Local HD shop was running 25% off sale
  • Local HD shop had it in stock
  • I don't have to oil it up!

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
I went with the SE filter for these reasons -
[*]I don't have to oil it up!
[/LIST]
That's the primary reason I ordered a SE. But when the K&N came in I already had the pipes and fuelpak waiting so I just threw it on...

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
I picked up my SE air filter last winter on eBay for $1.02. LOL. The seller bought a K'N filter & sold me his brand new in the box SE air filter for basically $1.00, can't beat that.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
reminds me i have to clean my K/N for next season.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts