Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a brand new K&N filter (model HD-1102) that will fit model years 2002-2007. I bought this in anticipation for an exhaust system. Unfortunately, Smaltz HD WILL NOT install items not bought there. (my only pet peeve with the place.) First $55 takes it SHIPPED to the lower 48 ONLY. Prefer a U.S Postal money order that way I can cash it at the Post Office and send out at the same time.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Yarvis:

Ihave another alternative for you to consider--INSTALL IT YOURSELF!!!

1. Open the seat and place the handlebars straight ahead.
2. Twist the connector on the rear of the air box cover and GENTLY lift it up at the rear about 4 inches. Place your hand on the front of the air box and GENTLY slide it to the rear. (You will notice two pins at the fron of the air box that are inserted in the holes in the raised bracket on your frame).
3. Place the air box cover on a padded area so it won't get scratched.
4. Untwist the wing nut on the black cover and remove the top.
5. Remove the air cleaner that is in there and replace it with the K&N making sure to seat it in the groved areas in the bottom of the air cleaner.

THEN REVERSE THESE STEPS.

You will feel some improved performance and throttle response and NO you do not need to remap or tune anything.

GOOD LUCK!!

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
V-Rod I FL said:
Yarvis:

Ihave another alternative for you to consider--INSTALL IT YOURSELF!!!

1. Open the seat and place the handlebars straight ahead.
2. Twist the connector on the rear of the air box cover and GENTLY lift it up at the rear about 4 inches. Place your hand on the front of the air box and GENTLY slide it to the rear. (You will notice two pins at the fron of the air box that are inserted in the holes in the raised bracket on your frame).
3. Place the air box cover on a padded area so it won't get scratched.
4. Untwist the wing nut on the black cover and remove the top.
5. Remove the air cleaner that is in there and replace it with the K&N making sure to seat it in the groved areas in the bottom of the air cleaner.

THEN REVERSE THESE STEPS.

You will feel some improved performance and throttle response and NO you do not need to remap or tune anything.

GOOD LUCK!!

V:
You know something? I NEVER even thought of doing this because the bike is stock and has no pipes or SERT. You are 100% right, why try and sell it if i can use it? I think I will just wait though until the day BEFORE my appointment and then tell them nicely that I don't need the screaming eagle air cleaner (that will save me another $60) I'm sure they will have no choice but to tune the bike to the K&N and the rest of the gear. Thanks for the tip!

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys, I'm going to keep it. Consider it sold, to me. lol

·
Rallycaust Survivor
11,141 Posts
Attaboy Yarvis. Gitrdone

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good for you! It's my understanding, though, that you can add a K&N filter to a stock V-Rod without having to do any tuning. Correct?

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wilkie said:
Good for you! It's my understanding, though, that you can add a K&N filter to a stock V-Rod without having to do any tuning. Correct?
I would think you could, but I never put it in as I wanted to get the FULL effect by having the pipes and SERT installed along with it. If ANYONE can say otherwise, can we hear from them?

·
Official bike nut
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 - 10 of 10 Posts