Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Proud Infidel!
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do K&N's produce a noticeable increase in performance and are they worth +$60.00?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
They do open up a few pent up horses but in the long term of maintenance they are cheaper for the fact you just clean and re oil them.A new recharge kit is around $10 and does 3 or 4 services.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
I went topless with a K&N filter and noticed a decent jump in power. Of course, I also modified the exhaust, therefore need the RT. All in all, there was noticeable difference from the stock filter.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
The best thing w/ the K&N is that it is reusable...I don't think you are going to feel anything it's such a small difference

·
Genesis1130cc
1,824 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
They do open up a few pent up horses but in the long term of maintenance they are cheaper for the fact you just clean and re oil them.A new recharge kit is around $10 and does 3 or 4 services.

Elrod on the V-Rod
WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY RE OILING THEM?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Re oiling? The K&N filter does not filter at all unless it is oiled. The dirt particles are trapped on the oil, not the dry paper.

·
Genesis1130cc
1,824 Posts
Jackflash said:
Re oiling? The K&N filter does not filter at all unless it is oiled. The dirt particles are trapped on the oil, not the dry paper.
How do you go about re oiling them?

·
Registered
322 Posts
It's all in the instructions. You need to also purchase a Recharge Kit which includes a detergent solution and the oil (which gives the filter the red color). Both products are in spray cans, it's hard to to screw up. You'll have to wash, dry and re-oil the element periodically as maintanence.

·
Genesis1130cc
1,824 Posts
Dirty Chris said:
It's all in the instructions. You need to also purchase a Recharge Kit which includes a detergent solution and the oil (which gives the filter the red color). Both products are in spray cans, it's hard to to screw up. You'll have to wash, dry and re-oil the element periodically as maintanence.
Cool, thanks. I will investigate a little further it looks like. When I bought the bike it already had the stage 1 w/filter so now I know I have one more maintenence item to perform.

·
03 A
1,506 Posts
Where can one acquire the recharge kit?

Dirty Chris said:

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
synseer said:
Other option are the Amsoil nano-fiber air filters. Can buy one through Ken here on the forum. They are just as good and you don't have to re-oil them.
Ed, You are correct. They are easier to use and cost is less in most cases as well. Not to mention no mess in cleaning and oiling.

·
Registered
322 Posts
ladipogi said:
Where can one acquire the recharge kit?
You SHOULD be able to get the recharge kit anywhere that stocks K&N Filters. Around here, that's Advance, Checker, VatoZone, etc...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Which is better, the K&N or the Screaming Eagle Filters? I have the SE on my V-rod and the K&N on the Avalanche.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've always been partial to K&N but have no experience with either the Screamin' Eagle or the AmsOil filters.

So, I will :bolt

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Caution needs to be taken when using the K&N on vehicles with MAS air flow sensors.I don't see it as often as I used to because I don't work in a dealership anymore and the problem is usually cured by the time I get the vehicle in for repairs,the ones I do see now are after a filter service where there has been to much oil put on after a filter service.Diesels are the worst for K&N compatability.The oil gets into the sensor and creates all sorts of driveability issues,including automatic transmission performance issues.Most of the time a carefull cleaning of the flow sensor and a new dry filter fixes the problem.

Our V-Rods do not have these air flow sensors but it's still a real good idea to follow the service instructions in the recharge kit.This is definatly not one of the times where.... if a little is good then alot should be better.

Elrod on the V-Rod

1 - 20 of 22 Posts