Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after 6 weeks of waiting my parts show up. The rear fender that "bolts right on" is far from being a bolt on item. I dont mind that it isnt, but dont state that it is... someone out there wont have a metal bandsaw and angle grinder handy come install time.

The VGauge airbox does NOT clear the stock gauge cluster lock to lock in turns, so my new paint job already has two big scuff marks on it, wonderful. I had to bend the tab down at the bottom to get it to seat, it was missing by 2in out of the box. And there is a gap double the size of the stock airbox around the perimeter.

I'll let you know how much of the steel underside needs to be cut away for this "bolt on" item tomorrow, I quit for tonight.

I guess for $2000 you just expect it to be 100%.... sorry for my rant.

R

·
F.U.B.A.R
174 Posts
07DX said:
So after 6 weeks of waiting my parts show up. The rear fender that "bolts right on" is far from being a bolt on item. I dont mind that it isnt, but dont state that it is... someone out there wont have a metal bandsaw and angle grinder handy come install time.

The VGauge airbox does NOT clear the stock gauge cluster lock to lock in turns, so my new paint job already has two big scuff marks on it, wonderful. I had to bend the tab down at the bottom to get it to seat, it was missing by 2in out of the box. And there is a gap double the size of the stock airbox around the perimeter.

I'll let you know how much of the steel underside needs to be cut away for this "bolt on" item tomorrow, I quit for tonight.

R
I know just how you feel:banghead:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Some pics of your issues!!!

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
You might call josh on this. He is a very stand up guy and backs his work up well.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Sorry about your issues. FWIW, I discovered there was a stock cluster clearance issue with the JE V-Gauge airbox with my '06 D last year... I corresponded with Josh and Brianne about it and told them about the issue and suggested that it would exist with any D or B model riser. They thanked me for the info - I guess I'm disappointed they did not pass this info on!!! My discussion with then took place in private emails - which I think is proper, but hearing that my feedback fell on deaf ears has me pissed enough to chime in here. I was willing to be a guinea pig - you should have benefitted from my experience or at least have been warned about the issue.

I did keep the airbox and did not wind up scuffing it b/c I caught the interference early and ended up raising the cluster and handlebars about 1/2 - 3/4" by using a spacer in the riser. And I too, saw the gap around the outside - but did not complain about it to JE. Instead, I went and bought some black car door edge trim and slipped it around the perimeter - works and looks great.

I hope JE makes good on this for you. If you told them you had a DX, then they should've known about the inteference.

Don't know nuthin' 'bout no fenders, tho...

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Here is the text of an email I sent to JE Illusions last Dec 26th:

Brianne -

I LOVE the airbox - but unfortunately, there are 'issues'. Nothing I can't resolve myself, but still unexpected. Rather than post anything on the forums, I just want to let you guys know - please pass the following info on to Josh:

Some people have asked me whether your paint is a match with the stock 'Black Denim'. Having seen it on the bike in daylight now, I have to say 'not exactly'. Though the color looks right, the finish is not the same - the stock is flat, your paint is more of a 'satin'. That being said, I LOVE the airbox and don't thik it looks bad with the stock paint - just not an exact match. I will be experimenting with cleaning products - maybe even a wax or something - to make the fenders, headlight fairing, and radiator shrouds have a similar finish to your work - I actually prefer its sheen.

The next two issues are a little more serious and related to the VGR airbox design. Before I ordered, I'd wondered about the clearance between the mount for the V-Gauge and the stock gauge cluster, but had assumed this had all been worked out. Well... that may be true for 'A' model V-Rods, but not true for my 'D' Night Rod - and I suspect the same may be true for the 'B' model.

Here's the deal - there is no way for me to put the airbox cover on the bike unless I remove the top of the airbox (go 'topless'). I have been running with the top ON, but when I try to put your V-Gauge cover on the bike, it hits the stock instrument cluster before clearing the airbox lid and can't be slid into place. I've tried from a variety of angles and handlebar orientations - no go. When I finally removed the airbox lid, the JE27VGR went on just fine... guess I'll be running the bike topless from now on!

Even more importantly, the stock cluster HITS THE JE27VGR at the limits of travel when turning when it is in place. In other words, during about the last 10 or 15 degrees of a hard turn, left or right, the stock cluster hits the JE27VGR well before hitting the limits of travel. This - in a word - kind of sucks... I'm going to look at pulling the stock cluster off the handlebar riser and create some kind of rubber wedge-shaped shim or something that will angle the stock cluster just a bit higher... a real PITA, but I REALLY love the look of my new airbox cover, so will try all I can to make it fit.

This is what I think the problem is: from my reading on the forums, I have learned that the instrument cluster on an original 'A' model V-Rod has a different, taller riser than the 'B' model riser. I am guessing that my 'D' model Night Rod has a shorter riser that is either the same as or very similar to, the 'B' riser. And I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that your JE27VGR airbox was designed on an 'A' model V-Rod.

I think it's importatnt you guys are aware of this, else you may have some more - and potentially less reasonable -dissatisfied customers who ride Night Rods - and potentially 'B' models as well. (who knows about the 'R'?) I know that those of us who use the V-Gauge are a small group, so that's good news for you - without the V-Gauge mount, Clearance would not be an issue. Still, as it's designed, THIS BOX DOES NOT FIT MY NIGHT ROD - not without removing the stock cluster or somehow modifying its mount.

I'm just getting started on winter mods, so will look more closely at how to resolve this in the weeks to come. If I do need your help in engineering a solution, I'll make sure to let you know.

I do still love the airbox! I know that these are just the kind of things that come up with customizing. But... these are unexpected hurdles

Regards to the whole JEIllusions family,

Alex

Josh's response:

Alex,

We hope you had a very enjoyable and safe New Year's. Thank you so much for your compliments on the airbox cover and paint as well. We designed the V-Gauge airbox cover for KC on the forum. We also wanted this airbox cover to work out for any V Model Bike. We will update our site about running the airbox topless so the v-gauge can fit in there. We have had some other customers with the B model which needed to install gauge risers where they mount, we are not sure exactly what they did. This information is new to us and we will be updating our site. Is there anything else that we can do to help? Do you have any pictures of your bike? Thank you for emailing us.

Member of the Better Business Bureau
Josh Ellison, Owner and Head Artist
JE Illusions Custom Painting
1210 Interior St. Suite 2
Eugene, Or 97402

and my reply:

Josh -

I think it important you note that your box will only fit the 'A' models without modification - not even sure if you do need to run topless with the 'A' - you might ask someone with that setup to try fitting it on with stock cluster intact and the top on.

So the riser is an issue with the 'B' as well? Add the 'D' to that, as well as the DX, I would guess.

As far as you helping out in any way - not sure right now - I'll let you know as the winter progresses. I have the bike on a lift and am pulling the swingarm apart and gas tank out. The airbox cover is in my living room. At some time before spring I'll look at how to engineer a solution for the clearance issue, and will be sure to update you and send pics as well.

Alex

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is how the lower tab showed up.

Here is stock for reference.

Gap around the perimeter while fully seated.

These "wings" are about .5in too narrow on BOTH sides. Its quite obvious when holding up the stock fender to this one how much more narrow it is.
If you were to "bolt on" this fender the fiberglass would surely crack.

Maybe Josh and Co will buy this back from me. If not it will be for sale on the board. At this point I plan on going another route. Disappointing

really.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While we are on the subject does anyone know what bolts to use to mount the Vgauge to the box? Or do I have to do a run to the hardware store and waste an hour figuring it out.... maybe another $.25 item that could have been included.

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
Sorry about your problems, but I am curious. Have you tried to work something out with Josh or did you just come on here and rant. I have a feeling this will stir up a lot of bad feelings over something that hopefully has been tried to have been resolved between the two parties prior to this thread.

·
Wore Out Woodworker
1,620 Posts
This is how much I cut off to get mine to fit. Its for their new fender for the wide tire. PM me if you need any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thumbsupracing said:
Sorry about your problems, but I am curious. Have you tried to work something out with Josh or did you just come on here and rant. I have a feeling this will stir up a lot of bad feelings over something that hopefully has been tried to have been resolved between the two parties prior to this thread.
It seems apparent from the above post that letting them know in private didnt work. Should we let a couple hundred other DX owners have the problem or air it out on the forum? Isnt that what the forum is for, to avoid problems if possible?

·
Wore Out Woodworker
1,620 Posts
As far as the rear fender fitting you will have to spread it out a little to fit. and maybe make the hole a little larger to align up. I have had mine off a dozen or so times with no problems.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
thumbsupracing said:
You know, I would TOTALLY agree with you - if not for the fact that as I posted, Josh knew the airbox had issues when fitting anything but an 'A' model. As you can see, I did exactly what you suggested - addressed the issue privately and quietly... last December. The fact that this happened to another person DESPITE my efforts and despite Josh's assurances that they would make the incompatibility public make me feel that taking the issue public is perfectly warranted. Maybe not by 07DX - I don't know if he tried to resolve this privately - but it was his post that has caused me to realise MY emails fell of deaf ears, and frankly, now I'm pissed. Heck - maybe if I had gone public with MY issues last year, others would not have had to deal with this.

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
07DX said:
It seems apparent from the above post that letting them know in private didnt work. Should we let a couple hundred other DX owners have the problem or air it out on the forum? Isnt that what the forum is for, to avoid problems if possible?
You have a valid point, but I think initially trying to work things out in private would go a long way toward a satisfactory ending, and if you get stonewalled then by all means tear him up. I am actually glad I read this thread since I would love a set of tins from Josh when I can afford them but also have a B and wasn't aware of issues.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thumbsupracing said:
You have a valid point, but I think initially trying to work things out in private would go a long way toward a satisfactory ending, and if you get stonewalled then by all means tear him up. I am actually glad I read this thread since I would love a set of tins from Josh when I can afford them but also have a B and wasn't aware of issues.
I think you just contradicted yourself. Had I done this privately, I never would have mentioned the issue, and you and a gazillion other people would never, ever know about it.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
FWIW, here is the description from the JE Illusions site - a site that has been updated several times since my correspondence with them:

(bolding by me to highlight relevant text):

"This custom airbox cover is specifically designed to look powerful and mean, take in more air and add more power, accommodate a super charger or turbo, and add some aesthetic screen options to the ram air vents (such as chrome screen). Ram air screens, rubber grommets, and mounting tabs are included. We designed the ram air vent opening to be parallel to the forks of your bike and compliment your front end natural lines. Included behind the vents are different screen options and rubber grommets where the airbox cover rests on the frame just like your stock airbox cover does. It is 100% ready to install with no modifications or pre mock-ups before paint. Install time is as fast as taking your stock airbox cover off and putting it back on. Fits all V-Rod models from 2002-present, including VRSCAW, VRSCD, VRSCDX, VRSCX, VRSCR, VRSCA, VRSCB, VRSCSE and VRSCSR"

http://www.jeillusions.com/store/store_item.php?i=5

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is the difference in widths between the stock and JE. WAY OFF> Pay attention to the "wings" .

A pic of my tasty new scratch in my 1 hour old airbox. Identical one on the other side.

So since I was hacking it apart anyway, I said F'it and when fenderless. Looks better anyway... guess it was meant to be.

·
Bike is for sale!
5,075 Posts
Did you call them yet? I does look good by the way.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
07DX said:

R
That sucks!!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts