Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone out there running only the V-Mod exhaust w/o the Powercommander or K&N? If so, how do thew perform? Iwould perfer to start with just getting the pipes and running them and then upgrade from there. Will I have any problem doing that? Any opinions?

·
Banned
924 Posts
breakl8 said:
Is anyone out there running only the V-Mod exhaust w/o the Powercommander or K&N? If so, how do thew perform? Iwould perfer to start with just getting the pipes and running them and then upgrade from there. Will I have any problem doing that? Any opinions?
Don't do it!
Besides losing power and a flat spot around 3000 RPM, your engine will burn way to lean. Your exhaust valves will burn and then you've got real problems. I know it's hard to wait once you've heard the V-MODs but you'll be doing real damage by running the bike this way.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Breakl8,

Doing just the pipes is marginal at best, not something I would recommend. If you're cost concious then here's the best overall solution.

V-Mods - $150
SE Air Filter - $52 (20% discount)
HD Race Fueler - $179 (20% discount at Hales HD, Chicago HD, etc., No splicing, etc.) (TFI box retails for $189 so you might be able to find one for $160 online)

= $381

Best bang for the buck and you'll be able to switch pipes without adding anything, just retune the race fueler.

·
4,638 Posts
breakl8 ,
Have you had the download from the Harley shop...Or just what comes from the Factory?

·
Old Guys Rule
1,279 Posts
You can run the vmods with an K&N and the Stage II flash if you didnt want to buy the RT or PC. I did ask Steve at vmod that same question.

·
Registered
67 Posts
People seem to have different opinions about running Vmods with out a PC or Filter. Is there anywhere someone could find out for sure if you can do this with out hurting the engine. Breathless Performance in FL. say you do not need the PC. Others say you do. I have been wondering this myself. I would like to know for sure before I run to long with out the PC. Can anyone let me know for sure? Thanks.

·
Banned
924 Posts
just ask the dealer... V-MODs are free-r flowing than the SE pipes. The SE pipes they REQUIRE a flash. How anyone could conclude anything else is hard to understand.

Really, I think we are all telling you the same thing. Change the pipes, change your fuel setup. Either a flash, a PC, or a RT but you need to correct for the free-r flowing pipes.

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
I'm with glz and his analogy. Stock, the vrod is quite lean already, sometimes exhibitting mild lean surging. To replace the stock muffs with vmods or make any intake/exhaust improvements and retain stock mixture controls is asking for trouble, and/or a poor riding experience. Don't cheap out, at least spend the money on the HD reprogram/reflash.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Just for reference, so long as you don't change the air filter the pipes will only have a marginal effect on the AFR. It's possible that only doing the pipes would not send the bike into damage territory but it will make a lean situation slightly worse and it will make the bike run poor.

Also, the HD flash will get you back in the ballpark but you'll still be a little rich with the top on and a little lean with the top off. By using the RACE FUELER (Not the RACE TUNER) you can add fuel to compensate for almost any pipe / filter combination and have complete control of the operation AND go back to 100% stock without any worries (warranty issues for those with a**hole dealers). The Race Fueler and the Techlusion TFI / Rev tech DFO are all the same device except the Race Fueler plugs in where the others require taping into the wiring harness.

Bang for the buck my quoted solution above will give the best performance with the most flexibility.

From what I've learned the Race Tuner and PCIII are only for those who want to really get into a lot of dyno tuning. It's overkill for 90% of us.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
and impossible for those of us without a dyno tuner... or without the $$$$$$$$
;)

·
COOLER RIDER
5,180 Posts
mjw930 said:
Breakl8,

Doing just the pipes is marginal at best, not something I would recommend. If you're cost concious then here's the best overall solution.

V-Mods - $150
SE Air Filter - $52 (20% discount)
HD Race Fueler - $179 (20% discount at Hales HD, Chicago HD, etc., No splicing, etc.) (TFI box retails for $189 so you might be able to find one for $160 online)

= $381

Best bang for the buck and you'll be able to switch pipes without adding anything, just retune the race fueler.
Wish I'd done that about 1500$ ago. Good advice.

·
Registered
454 Posts
glz said:
just ask the dealer... V-MODs are free-r flowing than the SE pipes. The SE pipes they REQUIRE a flash. How anyone could conclude anything else is hard to understand.

Really, I think we are all telling you the same thing. Change the pipes, change your fuel setup. Either a flash, a PC, or a RT but you need to correct for the free-r flowing pipes.
Ask the dealer?? Like they know anything about anything. Both Steve @ V-Mod and reportedly BPP say it's ok to run just the pipes (not the filter!) w/o a remap. I'm not saying it's a great solution but it's fine if you're upgrading in stages.

I used to run this setup (V-Mod pipes and nothing else) for several months and have not noticed any problems. If anything I definetly didn't loose any power.

mjw930 said:
From what I've learned the Race Tuner and PCIII are only for those who want to really get into a lot of dyno tuning. It's overkill for 90% of us.
I wish I knew that before I plugged that RT in for the first time! :mad: With the stock 04 map for K&N and SE pipes mine runs worse than it used to with PCIIIR.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I have D&D slip ons... I am sure they are more freeflowing... I can see right down through them. I do in fact, notice soot buildup on my saddlebags, so its possible I am running a little rich. Bike runs great... I do want to get the race fueler, but you know how it is for us civil servants.... one thing at a a time.
Greg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice everyone. I decided to just go ahead and do it. I ordered the SE air filter, PCIII, and v-mods. You only live once.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts