Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
One Loud VROD
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings:
I just traded in my '09 1200 Sportster for a (low mileage) '04 VRSCB. I absolutely love it. Looking to upgrading lighting, exhaust, topless, ect. I hope learn from others posts. Thanks in advance.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Welcome!
You got the best choice for year and model!!!:notworth:
:hidesbeh:

·
One Loud VROD
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your HID Kit + video

Holy crap... thanks for the video on HID's. I installed them low beam/fogs on my car so I'm quite familiar with them. I'm curious:
1) Any concern for the health of the ballast from being powered on when you are cranking the motor? A kit I had installed on my Sportster had a halogen high beam which I selected when starting the bike. When the motor was settled, I would then switch to HID. Just curious if you had any problems...
2) I see you also have Low + High HID's and very little delay in switching between the two (SWEET!).
3) I was a bit confused when you were connected the wires (not sure why you had exposed wires? All of the kits I have seen were always a direct plug. Did you change bulb type?
4) Any thoughts for replacing the housing with something with a projected lens?

Thanks!

Chris

:vrodforu:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Welcome to the forum & congrats on the new Bike. Have fun here,Ride safe,
Always Ride like everyone is trying to KILL you. Why? because they are...

·
One Loud VROD
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just upgraded to a HD Long Boy seat. Wife almost ready to climb on. Just need to replace the backrest...

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Holy crap... thanks for the video on HID's. I installed them low beam/fogs on my car so I'm quite familiar with them. I'm curious:
1) Any concern for the health of the ballast from being powered on when you are cranking the motor? A kit I had installed on my Sportster had a halogen high beam which I selected when starting the bike. When the motor was settled, I would then switch to HID. Just curious if you had any problems...I have noticed that the 35w ballast tend to like it less than the 55w ballasts. Since they come with lifetime warranty, I honestly do not care about their life expectancy.
2) I see you also have Low + High HID's and very little delay in switching between the two (SWEET!). Since I "spliced" the two beams together, the lows NEVER shut off so their is zero delay between going from high beam to low beam. It still takes about 5 seconds for the highs to come to full brightness
3) I was a bit confused when you were connected the wires (not sure why you had exposed wires? All of the kits I have seen were always a direct plug. Did you change bulb type?In the video in my signature, Lux received ballast kit from DDM that did not come w/factory shrouds on the harness, only spades on the wires. 5 of the 6 kits I have ordered all came with plug & play shrouds. One kit that I sent off to a forum member in AUS did not, so I purchased 3 sets of waterproof shrouds and included a set for his kits.
4) Any thoughts for replacing the housing with something with a projected lens?
YES, by the GODS YES!!!! haven't been able to get the factory sealed beam lens off though. I had it in a 200〫oven for about two hours to no avail. Last resort would be to cut it apart to install the projector(s), but I do not have a spare housing and am not willing to drop the coin for a new one from HD
Thanks!

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts