Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I worked out all the kinks from my Night-Rod, hopefully. Maybe. Probably not...

:blahblah: I'm the 2nd owner and bought it with 7,500 miles on it. I was wondering what was wrong with the thing before I bought it since it wasn't being ridden around. Who only puts 75 hundred miles on a Night-Rod?
Well when I went to inspect/ buy or reject, I got a hint of why and I decided to jump on this deal. The man was a vet and bought the bike after deployment to "let off some steam". Now he's a family man and doesn't want to ride as often so he let go one of his bikes. With his wife and family right there I gauged his story and thought it plausible. Also got the feeling he was pushed into selling it by said wife... Thank God I'm not married. :D

So I rode it around like a mad man for a few weeks. Only then did the issues arise after I put 1,400 miles on it. But I have to say the previous owner kept his word. Nothing was wrong with the bike, the last time he rode it.
It's been sitting for a long time. Fluids never got changed. Hoses... God the hoses... I had to replace all the hoses along with the coolant cap cause they were cracked and leaked fluids everywhere. No clue what it was(pic attached) was caked with oil and grime. It was under the air box. So I replaced the O-ring on that as well. The speed sensor needed to be replaced because the speedometer was falling to Zero while riding. And finally the rear brake light sensor was fried.
I guess my hint should've been the tires which had lots of thread left, but they were rock hard tires and the original Dunlops that came with the bike.

Got all that shit fixed and rode around only for my front brake lever to squish into the throttle when I needed to stop. I didn't WANT to stop, I NEEDED to stop! Don't want to go into much detail, but I learned that dirty brake calipers, oil on the road, and front brake failure can spell disaster. That or "incontinence".

So obviously my front brake line developed a leak too. That or I didn't notice it was leaking until air got into it.
Took it to the dealership, something I will never do again, and they told me my rear brake had a leak as well... It costed an arm and a leg but now I finally got my bike back just in time for the rain to start falling. I guess I can't be too upset, Arizona needs its rain.

Couldn't have fixed the things I did fix without the community's help so thank you all very much for taking the time to assist me personally and to post articles so we all can search for solutions when problems arise.

Well here's to a short winter, and to the community for getting me back into the saddle!

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
Sounds like you got all the issues figured out. Actually none of them are really a big deal, mostly maintenance stuff. I doubt the PO was hiding anything. That O ring on the front breather vent is common, as well as the rear breather hose cracking. as far as brakes go, good idea to change fluid on a regular basis as well as clutch. I change every other year but some do it every year. As far as the dealership goes, well,,, nuff said. Glad it worked out. you got yourself a great ride. ride safe...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. It was a bit of a iffy feeling first month of owning this bike, being my first bike and all, but like you said I think all the little things are out of the way. And me being completely non-mechanically inclined this site has helped a ton.

·
"Vrod King"
831 Posts
Yeah, all minor things to fix. There are a bunch of bikes out in the world with less than 7500 miles on them. Two of mine had less than that on them. Getting married and having kids (and sometime girlfriends) will do that to anybody.
Since it is your first bike......respect the speed. It will try to suck you in.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Just a helpfull hint to all v rodders. If the external surface of these breather hoses get a light coating of silicone dielectric grease on them to not allow air to attack the rubber, they will not crack. Ozone is what kills them. I did it to mine five years ago and still crack free. A trick I learned a long time ago dealing with the rubber sockets on Rotax engines. Those pricks crack in about a week. The set I had on, no cracking in two years. That much of a difference, with or without dielectric grease.
Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts