Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
its only been like 2 months since I did this. It seems I remember someone saying that waxing over after polishing would make it last longer. what I need to know is, what kind of wax works best for this? thanks, phil.

·
Registered
591 Posts
zman said:
its only been like 2 months since I did this. It seems I remember someone saying that waxing over after polishing would make it last longer. what I need to know is, what kind of wax works best for this? thanks, phil.
Might have been me. Use whatever wax you use on other areas. I use S100. Waxing the wheels and swingarm will help some to extend the time between touch-ups. I've also noticed that the triple-tree, rear brake lever, and shift lever polish up far better and stay shiny far longer than the wheels/swingarm. I assume they are a finer casting.

Mike

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Semichrome paste from the stealer works well.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
I just powerballed my wheels today too... I used

It does a pretty good job. Other then a clear coat there really is no way around polishing every so often...

·
Loud and Proud
628 Posts
I remember those days.. It sure is a lot of work getting them to look good!

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Biker Bill said:
I just powerballed my wheels today too... I used

It does a pretty good job. Other then a clear coat there really is no way around polishing every so often...
I use the mothers billet, but only because it was what was available. is the one you're using more appropriate for the wheels? just wondering.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
zman said:
I use the mothers billet, but only because it was what was available. is the one you're using more appropriate for the wheels? just wondering.
The mag and aluminum stuff is $5... The billet stuff is $14. You get an extra ounce with the Mag and Aluminum stuff. I don't know if one is more appropriate then the other. All I know is the M&A polish really shines!!

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
shiningrmur said:
I'll vouch for Zoopseal - just friggin' expensive and a real pain to apply correctly.... but since I applied it (while wheels were off last winter) I have only had to wash or rinse the wheels all season. It does what they say - trick is to find someone to split a kit with... there is enough in one to do two or three bikes.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sorry this is off subject a bit, but can you use the powerball on alum wheels that have clear coat on them, such as on a car or truck?

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
frankjake it wouldn't do any good if they're clear coated just use soap and water and your normal wax/treatment for painted parts. unless you just want to clean them with the powerball that is, but the metal polish is a no.

·
Registered
339 Posts
zman said:
frankjake it wouldn't do any good if they're clear coated just use soap and water and your normal wax/treatment for painted parts. unless you just want to clean them that is, but the metal polish is a no.
I've got alum wheels on my truck. There are 5 years old and I've always kept them looking clean. But over the years the clear coat (I assume they have clear coat) just looks like it has yellowed a tiny bit. They don't look yellow, but they just are not as bright and shiny as they were when new. I guess that just part of the aging. I don't want to screw up the clear coast and make them look really bad.

maybe a good excuse for some new wheels.... he he he

·
Phil Z.
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
that, or you could strip the clear coat off of them, then you could polish to your hearts content, but then you'd have to keep up with them just like on the bike.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts