Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In major panic mode here. I just installed the UE tank on a 2003 VRSCA. After buttoning everything up, I turned on the ignitions, set the switch to Run. The fuel pump kicks in and there is fuel at the pressure "nipple". The oil pressure light is on.

When I press Start, I hear a relay click but nothing happens. The engine light goes out but the oil light is still on. If I click start a couple times, the engine light comes back on.

I don't use the security system so it wasn't armed before I pull the maxi fuse.

I'm wondering if I broke a sensor somewhere during my installation of the tank. I'll check all the fuses and connectors but I thought I'd ask in case there was something that you have to do after disconnecting the battery for several days.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
@noechamp just gave me a tip. I probably mucked up something in the ignition switch when I relocated it and changed the seat release cable. I don't know how that would affect the oil pressure light but I'll yank the switch out and start there.

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
If the engine doesn't start, yes the oil light will still be on since there is no oil pressure to extinguish it. ( Normal Pre start mode ) Sounds to me like the battery connections are not tight or as Moler said ground wire, or battery is run down not enough amperage. Yes, you may have mucked up the switch or connections re check everything - charge battery, check it's strength with lights on when you push start button see if lights die out if so replace battery try again. Good Luck ! (y)

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ground strap from the frame to the engine is good. I visually inspected it and it is good. I also did a continuity test from the block to the negative terminal on the battery. Looks good. I got my hopes up for a second there.

I'll check the battery. I just replaced it a month ago and it was disconnected for the last 3 days. But...you never know.

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found it. The spade connector in the starter relay was loose. It was in the right spot but it had come out probably when I was removing the front exhaust header.

Thank you ALL for your quick response to help me get this figured out.

·
Registered
2003 V-Rod A
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI, Here's a pic to show I ripped it up, did some stuff and put it back together. Now, I just need to put away EVERY tool I own plus the $100 in new tools I had to buy to do this project. My dad was a mechanic and when he passed, I inherited all his tools. Yea...SAE!!!! Back in his day, he didn't know what the word metric meant.

Accidentally released half the rear break fluid onto the floor when I removed the wrong screws thinking I would be taking off the other side of the caliper. So...did a brake fluid flush while I was at it!

Man, I learned a crap load about this bike by doing this project. I'm so glad I did it.

I also replaced the horrible ball bustin seat that was on it with the OEM seat. Fortunately the guy before me kept the original when he put the "special anniversary cool back bustin" seat on it.

3 days to do the project, 1 more day just to clean up.

Rippin it up...

Buttoned up and running!

Friday's project.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Good job, Joe! Bike looks great! That mess looks familiar. lol! I had crap scattered for a week because I had to polish everything I touched. But you do learn a lot about the bike doing it. The extended range alone makes it worth it. You're gonna love that seat!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts