Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2009 VRSCAW
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To sum it up.....I WANT THAT SOUND :D!!
Are we 100% sure it causes no damage to the engine and doesn't need to be remapped or need an external fuel management device?
For reference my bike is an 09' VRSCAW
Many thanks in advance!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
yes, we are 100% sure. Although with your '09AW cans, you should pick up a set of good used pre '07 cans to drill. I'm pretty sure you will end up VMOD-ing your stock cans, and on the '07 & newer it's easy and ore refined looking than the earlier models.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
To sum it up.....I WANT THAT SOUND :D!!
Are we 100% sure it causes no damage to the engine and doesn't need to be remapped or need an external fuel management device?
For reference my bike is an 09' VRSCAW
Many thanks in advance!
Knowing what I do from owning an 07 factory 1250 bike,I would suggest every single Harley to be retuned on a dyno using a cartridge that reprograms the ecm.Stay away from the piggy back tuners and these alleged self learning ecm's.
Virgin exhaust or not,if you have your motorcycle tuned for power,instead of passing an emission standard @ 2900 rpm's,you will have that brand new feeling with your motorcycle.

You think drilled pipes sound good,wait til you run a set of V-Mods!
V-Mods will make your Revo sound like a badassed monster instead of a Virago.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,170 Posts
23 years ago a 700 virago was my first bike and it sounded great. I made the exhaust myself. Even my dad's hardcore airhead friend thought it sounded great.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
23 years ago a 700 virago was my first bike and it sounded great. I made the exhaust myself. Even my dad's hardcore airhead friend thought it sounded great.
I copied the Virago baffles when I was playing around w a set of Samsons on my 03 A.It wound up sounding like a 1000 Kowy w the popular 4 into 1 we used to run.I didn't like the sound and eventually gave the Samsons away,and went with V-Mods.
Those baffles did make the Samsons perform decent.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts

·
2009 VRSCAW
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By cartridge do you mean the SEPST tuner? I honestly have a hard time trusting my dealership to change my oil much less a dyno and changing the fuel values. Unfortunately my next closest shop is a sistership of my local one which means they pretty much suck as well :D.

Knowing what I do from owning an 07 factory 1250 bike,I would suggest every single Harley to be retuned on a dyno using a cartridge that reprograms the ecm.Stay away from the piggy back tuners and these alleged self learning ecm's.
Virgin exhaust or not,if you have your motorcycle tuned for power,instead of passing an emission standard @ 2900 rpm's,you will have that brand new feeling with your motorcycle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just in case some other fence-sitter comes through here...

I've been riding my bone-stock '02, but with newly-drilled-out mufflers for about two weeks now. I've taken it on a couple of longer mountain rides as well as plenty of city commuting. I noticed no difference in performance or fuel consumption so far (but will keep monitoring).

But the noise? Oh yeah, there's a difference. Open up the throttle and now it makes a big ol' smile break out on my face!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Just in case some other fence-sitter comes through here...

I've been riding my bone-stock '02, but with newly-drilled-out mufflers for about two weeks now. I've taken it on a couple of longer mountain rides as well as plenty of city commuting. I noticed no difference in performance or fuel consumption so far (but will keep monitoring).

But the noise? Oh yeah, there's a difference. Open up the throttle and now it makes a big ol' smile break out on my face!
Well,if you have a noise,it's time to V-Mod your mufflers.
Mine make a beautiful sound.
With the difference in the cam grinds throughout the years,the 03,and the 02 Revo's have the most overlap making for some sweet sounding idle music.Tune an 02 and an 03 a tad rich at idle and they sound even mo sweeter!

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
Whats wrong with a piggyback tuner? Just asking. ;)
Nothing. They work exactly as advertised.
What most of them really are is a pulse width modulator. All they do is take the electrical signal from the ECU to the injectors (the pulse) and make it a tad longer or shorter.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
Well in plain Spanish (LOL!), what it does is compensate for the difference in air-fuel ratio that results when you change exhaust, air filter, etc. A piggy back device is a link between the computer and the bike that actually "compensates" for that new AFR difference while you bike's ECM stays with the factory settings, while a "tuner" per-se (like the Harley ones) helps you access your bike's ECM (computer) and actually re-programs it to work with new adjustments to adjust the AFR needs. As far as I know, a tuner is preffered since the piggy bag is like an "intermediary" while the tuner reprograms the ECM and it works steadily with the same settings. That is my pre-school knowledge about it, someone might come in shortly and bitch-slap me with his own version, so lets see!
:hidesbeh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts