Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Apprentice Poser
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until 7 years ago, I was a lifelong sportbike/dirtbike guy who most often had no less than two bikes at a time at the house since age 12. In 2004 I finally folded under pressure of my wife's constantly-voiced fears and got rid of my bike....I've regretted it every day since. At the same time, I'm no friend of MOCO. I got thoroughly disgusted with company and dealer practices during the end of the AMF period, got rid of my Bicentennial Glide and 81 inch Sporty, swearing I'd never again grace another HD dealership with my presence.

Last year, upon getting the news that my pops was diagnosed with terminal cancer, I pulled the plug early on my career and moved back home to spend time with him. I've watched him progressively decline, listened to the stories of what he'd have done differently, what he's missed out on, and came to the conclusion I'm not going to go out that way; however, I didn't give motorcycles even a fleeting thought initially in that determination.

Then, a friend, who's an HD dealership race mechanic, came down here and invited us to the March 05-06 AHDRA event at Orlando Speed World where I was introduced to the V-Rod (they took the Destroyer and Draggin' Bagger classes). All I had to do was sit on one of their V-Rods and I was semi-hooked....even the wife was impressed although "her" Gasser was eliminated.

After the event, my pal stayed over with us a couple of days and we took a look-see at the local shops and, at the local HD store, all I could focus on was the V-Rods. We spotted a 100th Anniversary issue with 997 miles on the clock....I didn't think much about it then; but, after my buddy left it began to eat on me. So, a few days ago it followed me home....

I am impressed even more with it and thrilled I have it. After only 38 miles on it, when I step off it feels like a part of my backside is missing. My first forward control bike....strangely, anything else would now seem foreign to me and there's not one thing I dislike about it. Unfortunately, such is not the case where my feelings about dealerships are concerned.

From the minute I paid their price and it became mine, they assumed the attitude they had no further obligations to me....not even so much as common courtesy. First, the fuel gauge was fritzed on the showroom floor...."We'll take care of that." Service dude said, "Maybe the 32nd of Neveruary, if we can get it in by then." Next I asked where the owner manual was and the response was "Twenty-Six dollars." Fist time ever, even with previous HD dealership transactions, I didn't get an owner manual included in my purchase. I could care less about the fuel gauge....it's the principle of the thing that's at issue, but I hope they took a long look at the bike as I rode it away....not that they impressed me they'd care to see anything except money in the future. Wonder if I ought to dash off a scribe to Willie G? He acted like we were long-lost pals in Orlando....nah, he's too busy with far more important stuff....

Apologies for the "book" but sincere appreciation for a great site with great members who've kindly shared enough info for me to take care of whatever my V-Rod needs in the future. I thank you all and to all a great week ahead....

Thanks,

Sam

·
Justpassinthru
8,976 Posts
Congrats Sam and enjoy and Smile every mile down the Road !

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
welcome! Many of us here share your pain when it comes to stealerships....

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Congrats Sam, that looks like the one I was racing in Orlando....

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Welcome and congrats!

·
Apprentice Poser
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats Sam, that looks like the one I was racing in Orlando....
Thanks Gene....real kudos to you for playing a significant part in a fine show....sincere congrats to you and 481 for the win.... a fine machine.

props to AHDRA/OSW for the photo

Sincere appreciation to everyone else for the warm welcome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts