Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Making the UK Fatter
Joined
·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First 100 miles out the way. Almost got spat off at 50 miles, sharp left turn away from traffic lights, little bit of gas, then massive rear wheel step out, left foot down, shut the throttle straightened her up. Used up two and half lanes during this specticle, god it was close.
Almost S**t my pants and now I'm terrified leaning the bike over. I can only assume it was the new "virgin" rubber.
The rest of my ride was great, the bits that did'nt require leaning over too far that is.
Fuel light came on at 84 miles, filled up and only got 8.5 litres in out of 14, bit early I think.
Did not find the gearing too high, supposed to have 30T pulley in UK, just did'nt seem like the other Vrods I have ridden, probably because I'm watching the revs too much. And ain't those 16Gg loud, I'm sure to get nicked. :ride:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Congrats. The mishap in the beginning was the bike trying to let you know that a little respect was in order. That way you will take your time to develope a more sincere relationship with her. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
I'm with Derek, spend a little time a courtin' before you grab a hand full! :)
I have some balast (at 250 pounds) and even I have spun the rear wheel through some turns. It fun under a smooth controlled apex but nobody wants to lay'er down or have a high side launch. Enjoy your ride, be safe and have fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
mr vroder,

I got the impression from your post that you had ridden other V-Rods without the rear tire breaking loose - at least not to this severity. Is there any chance that you have a 28 tooth model and the others were 30? Or is there any chance you applied any 'tire protectant' in preparing the new Rod for its first use?

Just curious. Ride safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
885 Posts
mr_vrodder said:
First 100 miles out the way. Almost got spat off at 50 miles, sharp left turn away from traffic lights, little bit of gas, then massive rear wheel step out, left foot down, shut the throttle straightened her up. Used up two and half lanes during this specticle, god it was close.
Almost S**t my pants and now I'm terrified leaning the bike over. I can only assume it was the new "virgin" rubber.
The rest of my ride was great, the bits that did'nt require leaning over too far that is.
Fuel light came on at 84 miles, filled up and only got 8.5 litres in out of 14, bit early I think.
Did not find the gearing too high, supposed to have 30T pulley in UK, just did'nt seem like the other Vrods I have ridden, probably because I'm watching the revs too much. And ain't those 16Gg loud, I'm sure to get nicked. :ride:
Hi, I just spent 6 hours polishing my front end, it's a beautiful evening & now I wanna go for a ride.
How about I truck down the M4 & come & have a look at your bike.
Call me on 07753866907 if you're up for it.
If not, take it steady, new skins & all.
Cheers,
Paul.
 

·
Making the UK Fatter
Joined
·
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's raining now, so it's time spent in the garage with the new love of my life. Had a look at my tyres and there's some slippery stuff on the tyre walls that has gone round onto the tread quite a bit, may help explain yesterdays close one.
Fitted my sport screen with the headlamp visor the wrong way around, I think it looks better this way. Cleaned the wheels, not such a task as I was expecting, quick wipe with white spirit, then again with a spray cleaner and a wipe off.
Back to the garage now to get that slippery stuff off the tyres. :vrod:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,992 Posts
Paul Simon: "Slip sliding away"

I say, Old Chap...here's the scuttle on the tyres:

Use extreme caution during the first 100-200 Kilometers as the tyres have a coating of lubricant used to release them from the molds during manufacture. Additionally, never use Armour All or any type of black wall shine product on motorcycle tyres as they produce the same lubricating effect. :paper:

Ride safe, Mate!
 

·
Come back Max
Joined
·
435 Posts
:rofl:
danafwelch said:
I say, Old Chap...here's the scuttle on the tyres:

Use extreme caution during the first 100-200 Kilometers as the tyres have a coating of lubricant used to release them from the molds during manufacture. Additionally, never use Armour All or any type of black wall shine product on motorcycle tyres as they produce the same lubricating effect. :paper:

Ride safe, Mate!
:rofl: You sound just like Dick Van **** :rofl:
 

·
Come back Max
Joined
·
435 Posts
mr_vrodder said:
First 100 miles out the way. Almost got spat off at 50 miles, sharp left turn away from traffic lights, little bit of gas, then massive rear wheel step out, left foot down, shut the throttle straightened her up. Used up two and half lanes during this specticle, god it was close.
Almost S**t my pants and now I'm terrified leaning the bike over. I can only assume it was the new "virgin" rubber.

Similar thing happened to me last summer. Came around a bend on a country lane and hit a patch of spilled grain. Twas like trying to ride on ball bearings. Slapped the leg down hard swerved all over the road and then connected with the hard top again. That was way too close! Lesson learned, take extra care during harvest time! Take it nice and slow at first, then after a little time you'll soon be scrapeing the foot pegs, then you know your confidence is back!
 

·
'02 Anodized Club
Joined
·
970 Posts
Also first ride yesterday--

Also felt the handling difference in the curves vs. my old Italian bikes. Takes some getting used to. I'm taking it easy until it becomes part of the way I move my bod, so to speak.

A couple of comments:

--very low CG makes it feel like a lot less than 600 lbs. The "light" feeling of the bike was very interesting.

--Curious torque curve. High HP/torque at 4+K lets you jump from 60 to 110 like many bikes do from 20-60. Twist the throttle at cruising speeds and you’re suddenly breaking a lot of laws.

--I might go from the current sprocket to a different one – maybe drop the torque band a bit on the RPM curve. I'd like it a little lower, since I really don't need to twist the throttle at 110 to see how quickly I can get to 130... We’ll see.

--Seems crosswinds sensitive and didn’t like being behind a semi at all due to wind buffeting. Maybe the disc wheels? Gave me a good excuse to blast past them, though….

--Peg location certainly is different. If you’re used to “normal” peg locations at the base of the engine, it’s mighty weird. I kept searching for where the peg should be instead of where it is every time I took off from a stop. Got used to it pretty fast, and is a nice cruiser setup.

--Shifter is a "Clunk!" sound rather than a "snick" when you shift. Thought I broke something the first few times :) . But still speed shifts pretty well.

--Handling is good, but not Italian level—but this bike isn’t about that. Very good for a HD. But ya can’t cafe race this – this is a quick cruiser through the twisties, not a café racer. Maybe that's one of the things our Euro friends will need to get used to -- you simply can't drive this like a crotchrocket Italian bike (Duke, Aprillia, etc), or the Nortons so many of them grew up with. Be doing a long slide on your a$$ if you do...

--Seating position (straight up) is going to be tiring on long hauls. Removable windshield makes sense.

--Bike sounds great – real, but muted, HD sound.

--The bike is a beautiful quality build and a real work of art. This means a lot to me, for some reason. Used to think HD's were pretty iffy on the build/design department, but this thing's gorgeous.

--Very comfortable ride with a lot of power for it’s configuration.

--Looked at a bunch of jackets -- the Fox Creek jacket is great – comfortable and bulletproof. Costs half the price of the Vanson.

--Attracts a lot of stares. I like that it's still relatively unique. OK, I'm shallow...

I’ll be out on the road this weekend if the weather holds. Fine bike and glad to be on it.

:vrod:

Hey --previous owner had it for 18 months and put 800 mi on it. Sat in the garage. I'll change the oil first thing -- but do you guys think a hydraulic fluid flush is a good idea at this point?

2002 Stock
 

·
Tired of the crap
Joined
·
2,819 Posts
banglenot said:
Hey --previous owner had it for 18 months and put 800 mi on it. Sat in the garage. I'll change the oil first thing -- but do you guys think a hydraulic fluid flush is a good idea at this point?
Certainly the brake fluid should be looked at. My bike is about the same vintage as yours (but 10,000 more miles) - and the stuff looked pretty grungy compared to new when I bled mine. A bike that has sat in England's soggy climate for most of the last 18 months possibly could be worse.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top