Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after more than four hours of waiting, the really nice folks at Corbin installed my fairing.

Unfortunately, on my ride home, I realized the very expensive mistake I had just made...the buffeting was horrible. It's likely (hopefully) due to the fact that I'm really too tall for the V-Rod (6'-1") and the 6" smoked screen is too short. I really didn't want to install the 10" clear screen, but I may have no choice.

Here are a few pics:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I believe that MJW had the same issue, and he is much shorter than you. I find that the short screen on my Kenday, which looks to be about the same height as yours, works well with a full face helmet. There is some turbulence, but little updraft. The updraft was what I was looking to eliminate, and the Kenday did that. I suspect yours will as well.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
can you mount any stock windshield? I like it. Was it costly? joe

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all,

I really do like the look, but the turbulence noise and skull vibrations are just too much. I'll wait to see what Corbin says, but I'll bet they suggest that I get the 10" clear windscreen. Also, it looks as though the windscreens are bolt-on replacements for 1997-2006 FLHTC models per their page at:
http://www.corbin.com/accessories/windscreens.shtml

As far as price is concerned, it's as stated on their site:
http://www.corbin.com/harley/vrsca/hdvrywfair.shtml

It was $1499 for the fairing, $100 for the two-tone paint, and $147.91 tax in CA - Shipping would've been another $105, but I live close enough to Hollister to be able to have them take care of the installation for me.

P.S. - FWIW, the paint job and build quality is fantastic. They did an excellent job. I'll have to take some better photos to try and show you what I mean.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Had a similar setup and similar problem. A taller windscreen did the trick. While riding with the shorty I could hold my hand sideways on top of the shorty and it would drastically change the characteristics of the turbulence.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Sorry to hear your not happy with the set up... I think it looks great!

It's going to come down to windshield height and/or angle of the shield versus rider height. I'd love to put a fairing on my bike, but I think I'd have the same issue...

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Thanks all,

I really do like the look, but the turbulence noise and skull vibrations are just too much. I'll wait to see what Corbin says, but I'll bet they suggest that I get the 10" clear windscreen. Also, it looks as though the windscreens are bolt-on replacements for 1997-2006 FLHTC models per their page at:
http://www.corbin.com/accessories/windscreens.shtml

As far as price is concerned, it's as stated on their site:
http://www.corbin.com/harley/vrsca/hdvrywfair.shtml

It was $1499 for the fairing, $100 for the two-tone paint, and $147.91 tax in CA - Shipping would've been another $105, but I live close enough to Hollister to be able to have them take care of the installation for me.

P.S. - FWIW, the paint job and build quality is fantastic. They did an excellent job. I'll have to take some better photos to try and show you what I mean.
You might look at either a laminar lip or one of those curvy windscreens. The bike looks great.

Just remember that when riding it, you can't look at it. :spank:

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might look at either a laminar lip or one of those curvy windscreens. The bike looks great.

Just remember that when riding it, you can't look at it. :spank:
Thanks Dan. You're right. If the taller screen doesn't help, I'll look into a lip or a more curvy screen.

I just need to remember what's important...if I can't ride it, it doesn't matter what it looks like. :D

·
Registered
186 Posts
I believe that MJW had the same issue, and he is much shorter than you. I find that the short screen on my Kenday, which looks to be about the same height as yours, works well with a full face helmet. There is some turbulence, but little updraft. The updraft was what I was looking to eliminate, and the Kenday did that. I suspect yours will as well.
They don't show the VRSC on their application chart on Ken Day website. Which part number did you get?

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Check this place out.

www.clearviewshields.com

They sell windshields with a recurve on them so you don't have to have a big windsail on the front of the bike. The recurve allows the wind to pass over top of your face and head while using a shorter windshield. I have one on one of my V-Rod Baggers and also my SE Electra Glide and love them both.

Good company to deal with as well.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
They don't show the VRSC on their application chart on Ken Day website. Which part number did you get?
I made my own brackets. It wasn't too hard.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Check this place out.

www.clearviewshields.com

They sell windshields with a recurve on them so you don't have to have a big windsail on the front of the bike. The recurve allows the wind to pass over top of your face and head while using a shorter windshield. I have one on one of my V-Rod Baggers and also my SE Electra Glide and love them both.

Good company to deal with as well.
Cool. They do look good. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I just installed this windshield on my Corbin fairing and it works well: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0412119704&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT I'm not as tall as you though. I would recommend the 14" light smoked one for you (the 10" feels like it just clears my helmet).
Yeah, I got the 7" X-Stream from LRS (http://www.longrideshields.com/x-stream.html), but it's not tall enough either. I was hoping the extra inch and the recurve would help. It did, just not enough. I was really hoping to avoid getting a tall shield, but perhaps that's what I'll have to do.

Thanks for the input!

UPDATE: Thinking about getting a 4" or just leaving the shield off all together to see if the wind hits my chest instead. That could work as long as I get rid of the sonic booms in my ears and vibrations in my eyes...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts