Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's cold and windy today here in CT but otherwise dry enough for a ride... so I set out to install the intiminators this morning. I'll try to make my review concise for others. I purchased the Intiminators for the VRod and put in my weight and GF's weight. I also purchased their recommended fork oil, as well as new fork seals.

My take on the stock suspension
I've ridden a lot of bikes, mostly cruisers. Almost ALL of them were basic damper rod type front ends. After trading my 2006 Honda VTX for the 2008 VRSCAW, I was pretty happy with the ride quality. It was smoother than the Honda. I ride two-up very often with my GF. I'm about 175lbs and she's around 120lbs. We both find the VRod to be pretty good suspension wise in stock form, except for the brake dive. I will say that I ride a lot faster on this than on the Honda, but the front end just felt way too squishy under braking, and did not instill much confidence. My girlfriend felt the same way. Everything else seemed fine so I didn't want to make major changes.

What I was hoping for from the Ricor Intiminators
Reduction in brake dive. That was really all I wanted, I was happy enough with the stock suspension otherwise.

What I got out of the Ricor Intiminators
First things first- I sat on the bike and the front end went no where. Felt like it didn't compress at all. I was a bit nervous about that at first...
A slight reduction in brake dive (not as much as I was hoping)
A very noticeable improvement on taking potholes, bumps, and anything in the road. Wow. I did not expect that much improvement. Feels like the stock forks were thrown in the garbage and a much higher tech front-end was installed.
Much more confident front-end. All of the floatiness/squishiness has just vanished.
A bit harder to put the bike into a corner- it wants to stand itself up a bit more.

Would I do it again?
For sure. I didn't quite accomplish my goal with eliminating brake dive, but man... I guess I didn't know what I wanted. The front end is really transformed. It's surprising how simple of a device the Ricor is as well. Still, makes a big difference.

The hardest part of the installation was compressing the fork spring and screwing the nut back on. I did not have a socket big enough so I ended up using an adjustable wrench and had the GF help out. It took a couple tries but we managed.

I haven't gone out riding 2-up yet. With the weather, we might not get a chance until the spring.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Good stuff, mine was heaps better in the dive department.I know you don't want to pull it apart again to find out but might be different recommended oil level now to when I did mine,don't know only guessing.They are a bitch to compress on your own I nearly blew my pooper valve screwing the son of a bitch together ended up putting a t bar on the socket seemed to help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know I really should take the GF out for a ride to test the brake dive. I don't think I had much of a problem riding by myself, so it probably wasn't the best comparison. Hopefully we'll have another warm day before winter really sets in.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Mine was that bad it upset the whole bike especially two up I used to hit the brakes prematurely to get the front down before getting into it hard.Ridiculous crap really but braking now feels like maybe 1-2 inches at the most and it hardens right up but will still take a pothole or bump midway if it has to.I did read an article somewhere where a guy pulled his valves apart and fine tuned with different discs for the ultimate setup,bit beyond my capabilities but doable.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
I just put Screaming Eagle fork oil (15 wt) in my forks and it cured most of the dive problem.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
I just put Screaming Eagle fork oil (15 wt) in my forks and it cured most of the dive problem.
Not recommended with the Ricor valves, 5w maximum, they sent me a bottle of Amsoil shock therapy with them.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Stock forks, Screaming Eagle 15 wt oil works for me. No need to spend gobs of cash on Ricor's.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Stock forks, Screaming Eagle 15 wt oil works for me. No need to spend gobs of cash on Ricor's.
$180 Rusty, cheapest suspension fix and mod around.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They were super easy to put in. I did read a lot about changing oil and the progressive springs on the forums here. I figured that since I wanted to do the fork seals (10 years old) at the same time, it would be enough work that $180 was money well spent. It was actually a bit easier than I had expected. All in I think it took me about 2.5 hours to do everything, with basic hand tools.

I ordered the recommended Amsoil from Ricor, but pretty sure their website said 10w. I thought that was odd as most other bikes they were recommending 5w. Maybe they've changed their setup over the years. My bike is a 2008 VRSCAW with 49mm forks and wide frame, if that matters.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
They were super easy to put in. I did read a lot about changing oil and the progressive springs on the forums here. I figured that since I wanted to do the fork seals (10 years old) at the same time, it would be enough work that $180 was money well spent. It was actually a bit easier than I had expected. All in I think it took me about 2.5 hours to do everything, with basic hand tools.

I ordered the recommended Amsoil from Ricor, but pretty sure their website said 10w. I thought that was odd as most other bikes they were recommending 5w. Maybe they've changed their setup over the years. My bike is a 2008 VRSCAW with 49mm forks and wide frame, if that matters.
Hmmm just had a look on their site (when in doubt read the instructions) and yeah different weight oil now.I did get mine quite a few years back for my 08DX.See they have a shim kit now too any idea what that's for?Maybe that hardens the dive up a bit more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was warm out today and dry enough, so went for another ride with the GF on the back. Some more comments:

Handling is vastly improved. It doesn't wallow in the corners, and keeps a line much better. I used to find myself leaning in or out of the corner a bit as I went around. I always assumed it was the stupid fat rear tire. Nope. Ricor in the front end didn't lessen that- it completely removed it. Steering is just rock solid now. I did not expect that at all.

We rode around for about 45 minutes and the whole time I was trying to find a bump or pothole to satisfy me. I hit everything in the damn road I could find, and everything was super smooth. Triple A+ for the Ricors in that department.

Brake dive is a bit better. It is less sudden. So if you slam on the front brake, the front end still compresses all the way but it does so at a much slower rate. So it does feel more confident. Thinking about it, there's no way to dampen out brake dive, you can only put beefier springs in front. I don't want those, as I'm 100% happy with how the front end came out!

This is a really great improvement for the V Rod. I would highly recommend these things!

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Did the Race Tech Goldvalve Emulators and springs in mine. Similar technology and about the same cost. Way cheaper than the Traxxion system
Might be fine for conventional forks but for the inverted going with the dual Traxxion setup is the best. Anything else is only half way there. Stock damper valving too damn small and only on the left fork. I know some have done the RaceTech valve and are happy. I just don't see it worth the effort. Def more affordable options for conventional forks regarding upgrades.
Ron

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spring time finally came and I was able to do a few hours of riding. These things are great! The front end feels firm but is never harsh. There's no more squishyness going on up front, the bike doesn't wallow in corners, and it floats over bumps in the road comfortably. These things really do exactly what they claim to do.

Now I'm noticing how poor the rear does in comparison. Oof... it begins...

·
Registered
315 Posts
I just purchased the Race tech kit. I am going with Progressive springs, because I have progressive suspension on the back. Motul 20w fork oil.

Do you have to dissemble the entire fork? Or just pop the cap and oil and gizzards fall out?

Also, do you remember at what level you put the oil?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took the forks off and completely disassembled, which I think is the best way to go. You need to remove the wheel, and at that point there really isn't much holding them onto the bike. My bike has the regular forks with tubes on both sides (no cartridge), and not the upside-down forks.

I don't remember the exact level, I just followed the instructions given with the kit. I may still have it laying around... maybe. If you want I can search for it and let you know.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks, it's not that big of a deal. Race tech has a not on their website that 165mm is too high of a level. Then has 130mm in their instructions.

I will contact them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts