Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
onequickvrod
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just came home from Cole H-D in bluefield wv they had demo days for the new 08s saw a very nice copper 105 anny v rod and an 08 dx great looking bikes well anyway the wife and i was thinking of getting a used road king just for long rides like to bike week and daytona bike week just to make it alil more comfy on her (NOT) getting rid of my 03 blk n slvr though we rode the king for 10 long hot viberating miles to my surprize she hated it (yeah) she wore shorts cause it was around 88 today after 2 miles her inside rite leg had already turned red from the heat which she was very displeased in said the seat sucked aswell and it shook so bad at the stop lites we both got headaches all in 10 miles of riding the only real nice thing i found was the electronic cruse control very nice to have but to have 110 inches the moter was very unimpressive and very hot can't say hot enough just to hot all in all she rated the king a 6 outta 10 overall the vrod an 8 outta 10 hoping the sundowner, floorboards, and ricks tank can get her up to a 9 or 10 outta 10 but not knocking the airheads bike just saying if you ever give the v rod a fair shake you'll never want an airhead again be safe guys later mark

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
I've been afraid to take my wife on a ride on a road king, I would be willing to bet she would want me to get rid of the V. But now maybe I oughta take her on a ride and if she likes it then it will be easier to talk her into letting me spend more money on my Vrod :thumb:

·
Chrome is king!!!
20,269 Posts
My wife and I rented an 07 Streeglide while in NC a couple of months ago. The main thing I remember was how much it vibrated at idle. I don't know how anyone can ride one of those for any amount of time.

·
"A" is the only way
3,349 Posts
I borrowed a ultra classic for a day and I didn't care for it either, there is alot of heat that comes up and my crotch was on fire if I didn't have my legs out on the highway pegs directing some air in. Didn't have the girlfriend with me but I'm sure she would of loved it in the lounge chair. It's also a tank to move around so damn top heavy for a little guy like me.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I didnt even know they were open on sunday. Must have been a special thing. sucks lol I was out riding around bluefield and had no idea.

I owned a 06 RK custom and loved it. It was a great bike and filled in nicely for the long hauls that a v just doesnt do well in my opinion. Now I would never get rid of my v but the RK is still a sweet bike and that se looks nice.

·
DX Rider
630 Posts
Have found enjoyment with both. A great combination or complement to each other. Very different but imo, both are outstanding. The RK has that torque and inimitable 45 degree air cooled V. The 110" is nothing to sneeze at. It hauls my rear up any Rocky Mountain road without breathing hard and cries for more. Yes it vibes at idle but many get a kick out of this. Feels alive. Once underway the vibes vanish and and it's as smooth as a baby's powdered butt. The bags and shield add a refining and useful touch to the package. For sure, the VRSC is its hot blooded cousin and I love em both. An '07 FLHRSE3 here...

·
Now on a VRSCDX!!!
604 Posts
I asked the dealer the other day if HD had done anything to correct the "hot leg" issue on the 08's other than the parade mode fix and they said nope... I said what are they gonna do when the 2010 emission rules come out and he just laughed...

·
DX Rider
630 Posts
According to a recent magazine interview with a senior VP engineer in Milwaukee H-D is already in compliance with upcoming EPA restrictions and guidelines through 2012, and even those that are proposed but not written into law. Going FI with all models was key making this possible according to the interview. The engineer also notes the air cooled big twin isn't going anywhere for a loooooong time, as long as there is demand.

The hot engine complaints were analyzed in another article and they almost all came from deep south E-Glide owners having the lower/leg faired option, sitting in stop/go traffic with the bike idling away. Egads, many bikes I've ever owned, including fully faired sportbikes would be a frying pan in the same conditions. Have no heat issues with the RK here, and if a big twin owner does, SERTing or PCing the FI after the placement of pipes/air, which many do anyway, lessens any heat/lean conditions from the factory.

·
onequickvrod
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not bashing the king i thought it was a nice bike but the wife hated it and i only would get one if it was to her liking which the overly hot area where the wind would push the engine's heat was directed on to her inner calves since were in wv and was hoping to get one to ride to daytona and to myrtle beach for bike week the heat would be a problem for her and if it takes a bike shaking my head off to make me feel alive forget it as far as the sportbikes i have an 89 gsxr 1100 (1340) stroker air cooled as well and it never ever got this hot not even at rockingham nc on a 100 degree race weekend so in other words its a great bike the king but the v rod is a much much better bike so i will assume a goldwing will be in our future not an air cooled over priced harley but remember guys to each their own nothing wrong in riding whatcha like!!!!

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Road Kings are Great! But an entirely different animal than the V. Like comparing a Caddilac with a Corvette. BUT, it is a smooth ride. Only thing I didn't like on the RK was the tranny chatter in 5-6 gears and the heat coming off the engine at a stop. Man, you think a V is hot in traffic, an RK will roast your thighs.

Tons of torque and the RK will cruise at 80 with low rpms all day long.

·
GA. BOY
2,462 Posts
Vrod-Mike said:
My wife and I rented an 07 Streeglide while in NC a couple of months ago. The main thing I remember was how much it vibrated at idle. I don't know how anyone can ride one of those for any amount of time.
we rented a street glide in daytona at bruce's place . the wife hated it, the seat was way un-comfy for her and the heat real bad coming off the pipes

1 - 11 of 11 Posts