Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing Jug Huggers on my DX, and purchased them from V-MOD. (Great Service by the way). I also purchased the bracket from V-MOD to install to the DX, but did not receive any instructions to install the bracket, but I have mounted it to the frame. My question is for those who have had this bracket installed. I see at the top of the bracket there is a hoop built into the bracket that when mounted comes close to the rear brake line, and it looks as if it was fabricated for the brake line to pass through. Can someone who has this bracket installed look to see if this is indeed the intention. The rest of the install looks fairly straightforward.

Thanks in advance.

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
The hoop is for the stock exhaust, it supports the stock exhaust from twisting from the weight. You will not use it on your install.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent. Thanks for the info. I was just not sure at all, and wanted to be certain before completing the install. Now I can move on.

·
Registered
597 Posts
can you post some pics when you are done? I want to see the jug huggers, I am going to order some for my bike here soon. Did you get them coated or are they still chrome?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, Please Post Pics

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will definitely post pics. I was going to keep them chrome, but after my wife said, " I thought you were not going to add any chrome to your bike." I decided to do something else. I am not jet coating, nor am I heat wrapping. I am going to experiment with something, and it seems that the way these pipes are made will work. IF it works, I will be happy to share, if it doesn't HEAT WRAP it is.

·
Registered
105 Posts
good luck, I look forward to some pics of your experiment. I'm bouncing back and forth between the rinhart 2into1, jughuggers and F.A.I.C racking my brain if you know what I mean......:banghead: decisions, decisions.

·
V-Mod.com
581 Posts
The "hoop" is for a rubber isolater[ OEM Exhaust ] that you will not use, but you are correct in saying that its perfect for the brake line as a guide. you do not have to use it for this, but it is clean.
Oh, And thank You for your order!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate the info. I am a "do it your selfer", so I go to it, try to figure it out, and ask questions as I go.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here you go. Flat Black Jug Huggers. This past weekend, I stripped all the chrome from the heat shields by sanding them in order for my paint to stick. When they were ready, I painted them with 2 coats of Krylon B-B-Que grill paint. After that had dried, I applied 2 or 3 coats of good ole Wal-Mart $.96 cent flat black, which I have found is very close to the Night Rod Special Flat black. The B-B-Que paint is NOT enough to protect the paint from the heat of the pipe, believe me, that is another story. I went to Advanced Auto parts and found a heat cloth that is made to wrap around starters, or solenoids to protect them from heat. One side was silver, and the other was some other heat resistant material. I cut them into strips long enough to line the sheilds, then inserted the pipe back into the entire heat sheild, and installed. I have put about 100 miles on it so far, and the paint is fine. There was some small bubbles at the top of the rear exhaust, where I missed putting the material, but that was a quick fix. I just loosened up the clamp, inserted a scrap of the material, and then sanded and spot painted the area. Total cost of about $55.00.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts