Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up a chrome jiffy stand and can't figure out how to get the spring off of the old without killing myself.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. the guys at Harley told me I couldn't do it- that I needed a special tool to pull the spring out with! I'm almost done, but can't get the new cotter pin in- it's a bitch.

·
Registered
352 Posts
With the great video Max has on this install, it's a 10 min. job, Max,hehe.
What do you mean, you can't get the cotter pin in??????
It's just amazing!!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
gcc255 said:
thanks. the guys at Harley told me I couldn't do it- that I needed a special tool to pull the spring out with! I'm almost done, but can't get the new cotter pin in- it's a bitch.
Some dealers are clueless when it comes to the V-Rod.

·
MYDRM
261 Posts
wow

WOW WOW WOW :notworth: I can't belive my eyes on this! I used 4 screw drivers spaced apart and slide into the spring and twisted them to stretch the spring apart far enough to get it on the stand! Now im going to replace the spring. It is not as tight as it was.

·
Not Dead Yet
1,172 Posts
Max said:
Just did the job and man, DID IT NEED IT! If you havent looked at those bushing in 15000 miles or so - BETTER DO IT. My bottom bushing was literally, half gone and was enlarging the hole it sits it. The new bushing moves back and forth in the gouged out space, so I will have to come up w/a repair at some point. I will replace them now every 6 months. And yes - it is easy. It's the little things... Guess I better look into lubing the cables and all those other little items or else :lamer:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Man I wish I would have seen this before I did mine. I had to use brute force to get my spring on. Thanks Max for the great tech video.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Max thats slick !!!

My dad made me a stainless set of bushing and the next time I have it on the jack I'll check and see how they're holding up.

Thanks For the video...........

How about a smaller diameter pin with a thinker wall bushing..?

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
VrodG said:
Max thats slick !!!

My dad made me a stainless set of bushing and the next time I have it on the jack I'll check and see how they're holding up.

Thanks For the video...........

How about a smaller diameter pin with a thinker wall bushing..?
These have about 15.000 miles on them, the bottom has wear but not bad......

Attachments

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Sooo...I just revieced mine today...Thanks Max!

The bottom bushing was completely gone...I mean there was nothing there. Don't know if it completely wore out and fell out or if the dealer lost it for me.

The bottom hole is elongated, I guess so the jiffy stand can be jiffy, but it is really worn. I let this go way too long. I need to replace the fram rail and jiffy stand.

I am keeping my eyes open for used parts. The little tab that locks the stand is almost gone and the groove that it locks into is worn as well.

35k miles and this it the first attention from me...

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
Sooo...I just revieced mine today...Thanks Max!

The bottom bushing was completely gone...I mean there was nothing there. Don't know if it completely wore out and fell out or if the dealer lost it for me.

The bottom hole is elongated, I guess so the jiffy stand can be jiffy, but it is really worn. I let this go way too long. I need to replace the fram rail and jiffy stand.

I am keeping my eyes open for used parts. The little tab that locks the stand is almost gone and the groove that it locks into is worn as well.

35k miles and this it the first attention from me...
I let my first one go too long also so I have a little frame wear but not as bad as yours sounds. Still putting the bushing in will help to make it last until you replace the parts.

·
insane vrod posse...
2,018 Posts

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
TEJASPECIAL said:
FANTASTIC! I was worried for a minute when Max took off..........to get the anti-seize and perhaps a Kold Bier? GREAT INFORMATION! :notworth:

Yea...I don't know how many times Max practiced that before filming...although it was a snap, I certanily could not remove and insert the jiffy stand as quickly and with as much grace as Max does....

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
Yea...I don't know how many times Max practiced that before filming...although it was a snap, I certanily could not remove and insert the jiffy stand as quickly and with as much grace as Max does....
LOL that was the first take. We all get lucky at times.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts