Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several people have ask me about changing them. They seem to wear at a rapid rate, enough so that I stock them in the store and sell them. I went ahead tonight and did a quick video to show how easy they are to replace. The file is a little big for dial up but the size is so you can see better what I'm doing.

The bike is on a jack, do not try to take the side stand off with the bike on it. :)

http://www.1130cc.com/gallery/misc.php?do=downloadfile&i=36434

·
Ricky Love MooreHead
1,440 Posts

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
Thanks Max. My bike didn't even have a bottom bushing or cotter pin when I got it. I got a make shift pin in there for now. Didn't know you offered these but I will be ordering a set in the near future along with the brake/clutch fluid replacement kit (winter work). Robb

Just watched the video. Man that looks so much simpler than a thread I read months ago about putting washers in the spring to lengthen it for easy installation. Oh, I know you've heard it a million times but...NICE BIKE!!!!!

·
Ricky Love MooreHead
1,440 Posts
Max said:
Several people have ask me about changing them. They seem to wear at a rapid rate, enough so that I stock them in the store and sell them. I went ahead tonight and did a quick video to show how easy they are to replace. The file is a little big for dial up but the size is so you can see better what I'm doing.

The bike is on a jack, do not try to take the side stand off with the bike on it. :)

Seriously Max,, thanks for the tip...

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Hi Max,
Thank you very much!!!
I do not have a collection of cotter pins. Can you provide a little guidance on purchasing the proper one? I would think I should go to an automotive or hardware store???
Lil

·
Silver Bullet
540 Posts
Thanks for making life simple. I did not know I needed to replace that bushing. You should do a seperate video for each of the maintaince items so we can all do the work ourself. And then create a seperate video section for us to reference. Maybe a seminar at each of the major bike showings for all the VRoders!

You have single handely built a "forum" for us.

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
Hi Max,
Thank you very much!!!
I do not have a collection of cotter pins. Can you provide a little guidance on purchasing the proper one? I would think I should go to an automotive or hardware store???
Lil
When I do mine I think I'll just take the pin with me to the hardware store and get the largest cotter pin that will fit the opening. :)

·
Scott
492 Posts
Max said:

Of course you know this needs to be posted in the Tech Service or How to sections!! Thanks Max!

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
robbwest said:
When I do mine I think I'll just take the pin with me to the hardware store and get the largest cotter pin that will fit the opening. :)
Thanks.
Are all cotter pins made equal? In other words, what metal should I get?

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
Thanks.
Are all cotter pins made equal? In other words, what metal should I get?
Probably not, but for this application I wouldn't think it would be a big deal, especially if you get the biggest one that will fit. Since they are made to bend I doubt you will find one of real hard metal but I could be wrong. I have a hose connecter pin in mine right now that is stainless steel and won't bend easily but probably doesn't look too good (but only if you were lying on your back). I certainly don't notice it with the bike on the stand.

NOTE: When I say largest one that will fit, I mean diameter. If it's too long you can always snip off the excess if it is an eyesore.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
robbwest said:
Probably not, but for this application I wouldn't think it would be a big deal, especially if you get the biggest one that will fit. Since they are made to bend I doubt you will find one of real hard metal but I could be wrong.
That makes sense. Thank you for your patience with someone who knows not much at all about this wrenching stuff. :)

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
That makes sense. Thank you for your patience with someone who knows not much at all about this wrenching stuff. :)
Actually I'm so bad at wrenching you may want to ignore everthing I just said. All I can say is it made sense to me:cheers:

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I purchased a box of cotter pins the other day and a lot of people are ordering bushings today because of the video. I will start including a new pin as long as I have some to make it easier for those doing this for the first time.

Max

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
MAX!!!!!
I'M ALMOST SPEECHLESS!!!!
YOU ARE TRULY AMAZING!!!

THANK YOU!!!! :notworth:

·
I'm With Stupid
966 Posts
Max said:
I purchased a box of cotter pins the other day and a lot of people are ordering bushings today because of the video. I will start including a new pin as long as I have some to make it easier for those doing this for the first time.

Max
Well that takes care of that! :)

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm going to add this to the tech page but thought I would bump it up for any that had not seen it yet.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Thanks again Max!!!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts