Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever remove the spring tang on the frame side of the jiffy spring. This is a replacable part but I cannot figure out how to get the old one out of the hole to put it into a new frame section that I have. Is it screwed in or pressed in ??????????

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
I'm assuming that you don't have an "R". The VRSCR has a traditional airhead-type jiffy stand.

But, for all others, the service manual calls the "tang" on the frame end of the spring an "anchor". The instructions for removal are as follows:

1. Block motorcycle underneath frame so both wheels are raised off ground. Jiffy stand should be able to move through its full range of travel without the weight of motorcycle resting on it.
  2. Remove cotter pin from clevis pin.
  3. With leg in the retracted position, detach spring from jiffy stand leg and anchor.
  4. Remove clevis pin by gently tapping on pin from bottom to drive up throught mounting bracket.
  5. Pull out jiffy stand leg and remove upper and lower bushings.
  6. Loosen and remove the anchor.
  7. Remove rubber bumper if necessary.

Because it calls for the anchor to be loosened, I assume that it is threaded like a bolt.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Installation Instructions

Installation:
  1. Apply LOCTITE 243 (blue) to anchor. Install and tighten to 7-9 Nm (62-79 in-lbs).
  2. Apply LOCTITE AEROSOL ANTI-SEIZE to both bushings and install bushings in position for a retracted leg.
  3. Orient leg retracted in mounting bracket, and install new clevis pin through the upper bushing, leg, and lower bushing.
  4. Install new cotter pin.
  5. Attach spring to the anchor and to jiffy stand leg. When properly installed, spring open hook on anchor faces outward and open hook on jiffy stand leg faces down when jiffy stand leg is extended.
  6. Replace rubber bumper if required.
  7. Check that jiffy stand operates correctly before supporting the weight of the motorcycle on the leg.

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
It looks like you have the R. Take a pic and show us specifically what part you are talking about. It really is easy to remove and install all the parts of the Jiffy Stand on an R.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This "TANG" it is on the frame end NOT the jiffy end right ?
How does it come out ? it is screwed in ????? I tried a pair of pliers on it and it does not move.

Yes it is on an R frame and I am changing this side to a DX frame and jiffy stand so I have forward controls also. The only think holding me back now is this TANG on the R frame section getting moved over to the new frame.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
This "TANG" it is on the frame end NOT the jiffy end right ?
How does it come out ? it is screwed in ????? I tried a pair of pliers on it and it does not move.

Yes it is on an R frame and I am changing this side to a DX frame and jiffy stand so I have forward controls also. The only think holding me back now is this TANG on the R frame section getting moved over to the new frame.
I don’t have a HD SM that covers the VRSCR models but on the VRSCA (up through 2006 at least) the “anchor” is threaded in the left side frame lower (it’s machined from hex stock and the SM instructs to use blue thread locking compound and tighten to 62 to 79 in•lbs or 7 to 9 Nm).

The 2007 parts catalog (see attached pages) shows the anchor as removable for the VRSCAW/D/DX/X but not for the VRSCR.

Attachments

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the exploded view. I have seen this for both the DX and the R and the part numbers are both the same so it must be the loctite and maybe even the powder coating that is making it stuck in there. I will get a pair of vise grips on it and get it out now that I know it is threaded in there for sure.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Thanks for the exploded view. I have seen this for both the DX and the R and the part numbers are both the same so it must be the loctite and maybe even the powder coating that is making it stuck in there. I will get a pair of vise grips on it and get it out now that I know it is threaded in there for sure.
Not sure what you’re saying.

The DX uses LH frame lower 47987-07xxx with anchor piece 3718M and this piece has a hex (10 mm across the flats) so that a wrench or socket can be used.

The R uses LH frame lower 47984-07BK with the anchor fixed to it according to the picture I attached.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, I took the lower frame off this morning and found that the Tang is welded to the frame section. Off to the stealer to order one for a DX jiffy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts