Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Uploaded the rear wheel removal and install videos today. Replaced the rear OEM 240/40/18 Michelin Scorcher with a Avon Cobra Chrome 250/40/18. I wish I would have gone with the slightly bigger 260, but the sale on this tire at Walmart was too hard to pass up.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
One issue I need to dig into is that after riding the bike for about 20 mins (this has happened to me twice now) The abs light randomly starts flashing and / or stays lot up entirely. I’ll start digging, but if anyone has any leads I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
One issue I need to dig into is that after riding the bike for about 20 mins (this has happened to me twice now) The abs light randomly starts flashing and / or stays lot up entirely. I’ll start digging, but if anyone has any leads I would appreciate it.
Any codes or have you done any work on the wheels or tire changes recently? Codes is a good first step.
Ron

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Any codes or have you done any work on the wheels or tire changes recently? Codes is a good first step.
Ron
I need to look into how to read the codes. I have recently replaced the rear tire which required removing the rear wheel. Unfortunately I didn't really ride the bike all that much to know if this issue was present before I replaced the rear tire. The rear sensor just slips over the rear axle so not sure how you can mess that up.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I need to look into how to read the codes. I have recently replaced the rear tire which required removing the rear wheel. Unfortunately I didn't really ride the bike all that much to know if this issue was present before I replaced the rear tire. The rear sensor just slips over the rear axle so not sure how you can mess that up.
This post explains how to read the codes.
Worth making sure you didn't pinch the cable going to the ABS sensor. Also I have heard people on here say that the plug along the swingarm where the sensor plugs into the harness sometimes causes problems. Maybe worth seperating this and making sure the contacts are clean and the plug is firmly refitted.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Code will be the first step. Keep in mind many problems come from the last thing that was done to the bike. This case your rear wheel and if the code points to rear sensor issue, bingo you are in the right area. I see you sold the PCV. If you went PV, the codes can be read and cleared on the screen. Bonus is it tells you the issue with code , rather then just a number which you have to look up separately. No PV, well the instrument cluster will display it.
Ron

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You guys are awesome.

Worth making sure you didn't pinch the cable going to the ABS sensor. Also I have heard people on here say that the plug along the swingarm where the sensor plugs into the harness sometimes causes problems. Maybe worth seperating this and making sure the contacts are clean and the plug is firmly refitted.
Thank you! I will definitely check both the pinched cable and the connection tonight.

Code will be the first step. Keep in mind many problems come from the last thing that was done to the bike. This case your rear wheel and if the code points to rear sensor issue, bingo you are in the right area. I see you sold the PCV. If you went PV, the codes can be read and cleared on the screen. Bonus is it tells you the issue with code , rather then just a number which you have to look up separately. No PV, well the instrument cluster will display it.
Ron
I haven't sold the PCV yet. I have had some interest, but nothing firm yet. I'm in no rush to sell. I've just come to the realization that this bike won't be boosted anytime soon. I'd rather have the simplicity of the PV at this point and not have to physically have anything on the bike itself.

You did install the rear sensor in correct (degree/angle) position?
Let us pray that the abs module has not gone bananas. Costly story.
Didn't know anything about this. I will check the FSM tonight. You have me worried now LOL. Luckily the weather here has been crap and I have hardly ridden it.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
You guys are awesome.

Thank you! I will definitely check both the pinched cable and the connection tonight.

I haven't sold the PCV yet. I have had some interest, but nothing firm yet. I'm in no rush to sell. I've just come to the realization that this bike won't be boosted anytime soon. I'd rather have the simplicity of the PV at this point and not have to physically have anything on the bike itself.

Didn't know anything about this. I will check the FSM tonight. You have me worried now LOL. Luckily the weather here has been crap and I have hardly ridden it.
Well if you have the PV, look up any codes on the screen. They can be cleared there as well when fixed.
Ron

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
I've got a PCV still. Once it sells I will pickup a PV.
Just beware, if using the stock NB sensors there will be no sensor protrusion into the pipe. None. I've modified the reducers a lot to get about 1/4" of the sensor tip into the pipe. Without doing that autotuning will be very poor. I'll take some detail pics and keep them on file, should you later ask.
Ron

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You did install the rear sensor in correct (degree/angle) position?
Let us pray that the abs module has not gone bananas. Costly story.
Ok, I'll bite. I got a chance to look at the FSM and I'm not seeing anything mentioned about the sensor being in a specific angle / degree. I didn't pay much attention to it when removing so I'm not exactly sure what the angle was initially. I did snap a quick pic of current orientation:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just beware, if using the stock NB sensors there will be no sensor protrusion into the pipe. None. I've modified the reducers a lot to get about 1/4" of the sensor tip into the pipe. Without doing that autotuning will be very poor. I'll take some detail pics and keep them on file, should you later ask.
Ron
No NB's. Holes are plugged with the plugs that came with the akra pipe. Runs perfect as is.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Ran the diagnostic report tonight and I've got several codes:

1147-01
B1154
B1007

Two things I'm thinking about as I'm going through this and they may be completely independent of the trouble codes, but maybe not.

1) When I first got the bike the battery was super weak. I have an HD battery charger from my previous bike and I hooked that up. Ever since I've had no issues starting the bike. Maybe the weak battery caused a couple of codes?

2) Do bikes that come with ABS automatically also have a proximity key? The key I have with the bike is not a key fob, but just an actual key. I always thought that was odd ever since I first purchased the bike earlier this year.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok quick update. I cleared all the codes. I fired the bike up for like 2 seconds (it's in the garage and it's loud so I shut it off immediately as my 1 year old is sleeping). Went back in and so far no codes are coming back up. It's weird because everytime I check to see if a code exists by pushing the button in, I try to cycle back to the main menu (PSCb menu). It always comes up as Pn 1147-01?

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Ran the diagnostic report tonight and I've got several codes:

1147-01
B1154
B1007

Two things I'm thinking about as I'm going through this and they may be completely independent of the trouble codes, but maybe not.

1) When I first got the bike the battery was super weak. I have an HD battery charger from my previous bike and I hooked that up. Ever since I've had no issues starting the bike. Maybe the weak battery caused a couple of codes?

2) Do bikes that come with ABS automatically also have a proximity key? The key I have with the bike is not a key fob, but just an actual key. I always thought that was odd ever since I first purchased the bike earlier this year.
B1154 is from the clutch switch. Either a problem or you coasted a long time over 10 mph with the clutch pulled in. It also might point to the switch if the bike won't start in gear with clutch pulled in. Clear it and see if it comes back.
B1007 is an over-voltage code if it sees over 16 volts. Check charging with a VOM. regulator might be screwed or your battery charger is defective and spiked the system.
No clue what the first number is. Did you install O2 eliminators when you unhooked the sensors?
Only the bikes with a security system use the fobs. If you don't have that red blinking key light in the cluster, you don't have a security module.
O2s capped off huh. I'm surprised it runs good on a stock tune unless it's been flashed with another tune before.
Your ABS sensor looks ok. Only way to screw it up is flip it backwards if that's even possible. There are no ABS codes in this list.
Ron

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Its
Ok quick update. I cleared all the codes. I fired the bike up for like 2 seconds (it's in the garage and it's loud so I shut it off immediately as my 1 year old is sleeping). Went back in and so far no codes are coming back up. It's weird because everytime I check to see if a code exists by pushing the button in, I try to cycle back to the main menu (PSCb menu). It always comes up as Pn 1147-01?
Its normal for the part no to come up. Dont worry about that.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
B1154 is from the clutch switch. Either a problem or you coasted a long time over 10 mph with the clutch pulled in. It also might point to the switch if the bike won't start in gear with clutch pulled in. Clear it and see if it comes back.
B1007 is an over-voltage code if it sees over 16 volts. Check charging with a VOM. regulator might be screwed or your battery charger is defective and spiked the system.
No clue what the first number is. Did you install O2 eliminators when you unhooked the sensors?
Only the bikes with a security system use the fobs. If you don't have that red blinking key light in the cluster, you don't have a security module.
O2s capped off huh. I'm surprised it runs good on a stock tune unless it's been flashed with another tune before.
Your ABS sensor looks ok. Only way to screw it up is flip it backwards if that's even possible. There are no ABS codes in this list.
Ron
Hi Ron,

I did coast down a long hill a while back and maybe that triggered the B1154. I also replaced the grips when I first got the bike, but the clutch side was the easy side. Really not much to mess up there.

I did install O2 elims when I removed the sensors. I'm running a PCV with the akra map.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts