Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching and trying to figure out what kind of "muscle cruiser" I wanted for probably 2 years I decided on a VRSCDX about 4 years ago. On a really nice spring day I got a text from the wife saying "it would be really nice to have a motorcycle on a day like today". A week later I had my first V-Rod which was a 2008 VRSCDX. Owned that bike for about a year and did some minor upgrades over that year. Really liked that bike, but ran into some unfortunate issues with my older son and had to sell that bike to pay for attorney. Fast forward two very expensive years later and I now am custodial and residential parent of my older son.

Fast forward again to this past fall and I really started looking at the market and seeing what was out there as far as 12+ bikes go as I had always really wanted a 12+ DX. I had lot's of saved searches setup on Cycletrader and other sites and saw a few bikes hit the sub $9k number that had less than 10k miles. But nothing was really jumping out at me. I wasn't planning on buying until the spring anyway so I was fine with just waiting it out for the right bike to come along.

That happened in January of this year, 2020. I was browsing FB marketplace and ran across a 14' DX in Memphis, Tennessee at a dealership. And it was even Orange! I really wanted Sedona Orange, but after seeing the Candy Orange in person I am so happy with this color. The price almost seemed too good to be true, but I reached out to them and asked if it was still available. After about 30 pictures, 2 videos and 1 FaceTime video with the dealer we struck up a deal. And it was even cheaper than the already crazy low asking price. Initially I was planning on going to pick the bike up as it was only about a 7.5 hour drive each way. After figuring up some fuel / trailer rental costs and a quote from UShip for $300 I just couldn't justify making the trip myself. I'd never bought anything sight unseen before, but after all the videos, FaceTime, vin check and anything else I could think of I had the bike shipped to me about a month ago.

The bike is a 2014 Candy Orange VRSCDX and had just a tad over 6100 miles on it. Completely stock even the stock rear Michelin Scorcher tire (which is completely done for). I am very excited to be back on two wheels especially on the exact bike I've been wanting for a long time. I am looking forward to putting some miles on this one and not to mention a couple mods.

One thing I have noticed about V-Rod's is there is a real lack of YouTube content on these bikes. There are some things here and there, but it's really minimal. I hope to change that and will be documenting and posting up a video here and there of my journey with this bike! Stay tuned for more updates.

Attachments

·
Yooper/Geek
744 Posts
One thing I have noticed about V-Rod's is there is a real lack of YouTube content on these bikes. There are some things here and there, but it's really minimal. I hope to change that and will be documenting and posting up a video here and there of my journey with this bike! Stay tuned for more updates.
Among many, our own RSC here on the forums has quite a few HOWTOs:

rscrod

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Among many, our own RSC here on the forums has quite a few HOWTOs:

rscrod
I had seen some of his video's, but didn't realize he was a member here. Some of those descriptions make it tough for search-ability on YouTube. I watched his video on removing the rear wheel a couple of times and found it to be very helpful on top of the service manual. Something happened on Part 3 though where it was just a repeat of Part 2. That was the one I was really looking forward to as far as the orientation of everything. I got it figured out though with the service manual and documented it as well. I'll have that video up on the channel in the next week or two.

I've been able to spend some time on the bike over the past week and tried to document as much as possible.

Upcoming mods:
-Installation of the PC V and downloading the Akra tune
-Installation of the Akra 2 into 1
-Replace the rear tire with an Avon Cobra 250/40/18
-Replace the stock headlight with an ebay LED blacked out headlight
-Install the Dalavas sissy bar

Did a couple unboxing videos:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had seen some of his video's, but didn't realize he was a member here. Some of those descriptions make it tough for search-ability on YouTube. I watched his video on removing the rear wheel a couple of times and found it to be very helpful on top of the service manual. Something happened on Part 3 though where it was just a repeat of Part 2. That was the one I was really looking forward to as far as the orientation of everything. I got it figured out though with the service manual and documented it as well. I'll have that video up on the channel in the next week or two.

I've been able to spend some time on the bike over the past week and tried to document as much as possible.

Upcoming mods:
-Installation of the PC V and downloading the Akra tune
-Installation of the Akra 2 into 1
-Replace the rear tire with an Avon Cobra 250/40/18
-Replace the stock headlight with an ebay LED blacked out headlight
-Install the Dalavas sissy bar

Did a couple unboxing videos:

Great videos. Keep them coming.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Great videos. Keep them coming.
Appreciate it!

Uploaded a new video today talking folks through how to get a PCV tune on their unit from the beginning. Including software download, downloading a tune, connecting the PCV to your computer and actually sending a tune to the PCV:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And last one for today is the actual install of the PCV onto the bike itself. This was a little more difficult than I was expecting and I'm still not really that happy with how it fits:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't afford to drop $500 on a JW speaker headlight so I settled for a cheap, $80 eBay unit. So far so good! I love this thing and the light output. One of the simplest and favorite mods I've done to the bike so far. I love how this thing flows with the blacked out look of the rest of the bike!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been excited to get this on the bike ever since I got it. I liked the OEM rear passenger seat and backrest so I bought one to add to this bike. Shortly after I bought the OEM piece a guy from Texas posted up the Custom Dalavas sissy bar that was my number one choice so I made him an offer and shortly after it showed up on my porch. If anyone needs a brand new in box OEM backrest and luggage rack let me know!

I love how this thing is removable when not in use and the brackets that mount to the bike are very minimal and hardly noticeable to the untrained eye. I think the design really flows well with the NRS:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Harley did a great job back in 2012. Sweet Ride, Congrats!
Thanks Knut!

Got around to making the Akrapovic install video. I absolutely LOVE this exhaust. It may not make the most power out there, but I'm not worried about a couple hp. This thing truly is a work of art

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Thanks Knut!

Got around to making the Akrapovic install video. I absolutely LOVE this exhaust. It may not make the most power out there, but I'm not worried about a couple hp. This thing truly is a work of art

Curious. No antiseize on the slip joints? Stainless on stainless fits like that tend to stick themselves together, making them next to impossible to pull apart later. Directions show a ceramic based grease for those areas but no further mention of application, which I thought was weird . By the way, stainless can be brought back to clear metal with scotch-brite if stained.
Ron

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Curious. No antiseize on the slip joints? Stainless on stainless fits like that tend to stick themselves together, making them next to impossible to pull apart later. Directions show a ceramic based grease for those areas but no further mention of application, which I thought was weird . By the way, stainless can be brought back to clear metal with scotch-brite if stained.
Ron
Hey Ron, appreciate the tips! I didn't show anything in their instructions on using an anti sieze on the slip joints. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea, but I'm sure you also know you end up looking like the pic down below as soon as you unscrew the anti sieze cap lol.

I did see the part about using anti sieze on the O2 bungs, but I'm planning on getting the AT200-B Autotune kit here in the next month or two so I'll be backing those out soon enough.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Hey Ron, appreciate the tips! I didn't show anything in their instructions on using an anti sieze on the slip joints. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea, but I'm sure you also know you end up looking like the pic down below as soon as you unscrew the anti sieze cap lol.

I did see the part about using anti sieze on the O2 bungs, but I'm planning on getting the AT200-B Autotune kit here in the next month or two so I'll be backing those out soon enough.
View attachment 603518
View attachment 603519
Yes, that shit covers everything. Key is sparingly apply and even then it travels from fingers. Going to see if I can locate a small quantity of ceramic based. Got plenty of copper base. The way I look at it, keeping those slip joints free to rotate or move slightly with heating an cooling can place less stresses on all the connection points, especially since the muffler has no give in the mounting, like a rubber mount at the can. I have an Akro coming also. Thanks for the vid. Those springs, having dealt with two stroke exhausts, a bent wire with a hook makes a nice pull tool to hook them in. Saves spewing a lot of four letter words too.
Ron

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, that shit covers everything. Key is sparingly apply and even then it travels from fingers. Going to see if I can locate a small quantity of ceramic based. Got plenty of copper base. The way I look at it, keeping those slip joints free to rotate or move slightly with heating an cooling can place less stresses on all the connection points, especially since the muffler has no give in the mounting, like a rubber mount at the can. I have an Akro coming also. Thanks for the vid. Those springs, having dealt with two stroke exhausts, a bent wire with a hook makes a nice pull tool to hook them in. Saves spewing a lot of four letter words too.
Ron
That's a valid point. Ugh. I need to think about if I want to tear this back down to apply. Everything is a tight fit so I would be pretty surprised if anything could move anyway, but I definitely see your point of playing it safe rather than sorry given that the system is a fixed system. Maybe once I get the autotune in I'll tear it apart and apply some anti sieze.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
That's a valid point. Ugh. I need to think about if I want to tear this back down to apply. Everything is a tight fit so I would be pretty surprised if anything could move anyway, but I definitely see your point of playing it safe rather than sorry given that the system is a fixed system. Maybe once I get the autotune in I'll tear it apart and apply some anti sieze.
Just picked up some Permatex Nickel anti seize. Good for 2400 degrees. For stainless and titanium joints. Pricey but what the hell. At least the slip fits won't friction weld themselves with it. Don't use the nickel for O2 sensor threads. Here's a little tidbit. In aviation mouse milk has been used forever. It's Milk-of-Magnesia used on slip joints, even in turbines. None flavored of course.
Ron

·
Registered
948 Posts
Just picked up some Permatex Nickel anti seize. Good for 2400 degrees. For stainless and titanium joints. Pricey but what the hell. At least the slip fits won't friction weld themselves with it. Don't use the nickel for O2 sensor threads. Here's a little tidbit. In aviation mouse milk has been used forever. It's Milk-of-Magnesia used on slip joints, even in turbines. None flavored of course.
Ron
Hey Ron,
Is that Milk of Magnesia as used for reducing stomach acid etc?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Hey Ron,
Is that Milk of Magnesia as used for reducing stomach acid etc?
Yes that too. I've seen it on aircraft mechanics tool boxes. Always thought the cafeteria food was bad until I asked about it. It forms a non stick barrier between the joints. Much like liquid paper does on that show Forged In Fire.
Ron

·
Registered
948 Posts
Yes that too. I've seen it on aircraft mechanics tool boxes. Always thought the cafeteria food was bad until I asked about it. It forms a non stick barrier between the joints. Much like liquid paper does on that show Forged In Fire.
Ron
Really interesting! Never would have guessed that in a million years. Thanks for sharing that. :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts