Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying a Rubicon to use for work... Have some concerns with it though. Mainly, about pulling my enclosed trailer (7x13) Any owners on here have any insight they can share?
Realistic mileage? Common problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
I have a Jeep.

Are you planning on getting the 4-door version? Otherwise, I wouldn't attempt to pull a trailer that long with a short-wheel base like that on a 2-door.

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Jeep.

Are you planning on getting the 4-door version? Otherwise, I wouldn't attempt to pull a trailer that long with a short-wheel base like that on a 2-door.
Definatly getting a four door...

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
You should be fine, then. I don't have to tell you not about proper loading, overloading, blah blah blah...

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Fuel MPG, figure 15-20. If you put a trailer behind it drop that to 8-12. Seriuosly my friend has one tows a little 17 foot boat goes from mid teens on MPG to sigle digits.

You will need a winch to get over anything with a grade steeper than a wheel chair can go up. You will find 4 wheel drive means that only two wheels work sometimes, the other two are along for the ride unless they cant do a thing then they will spin like canaval ride. If you ever rode a motorcycle next to a 18 wheeler that is only 1/2 as bad as this in a breeze that wont blow papers off a table.

That was a review on a Land Cruiser site about the Jeep Compass.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
Yup, the economy in the new Jeeps sucks beyond belief because the motor is under-powered. They should never have gotten rid of the 4.0L I-6.

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, the economy in the new Jeeps sucks beyond belief because the motor is under-powered. They should never have gotten rid of the 4.0L I-6.
I've seen tuners for them. I wonder if they help?

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
I'd read up a bunch on them if I were you.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
THis is from the company that gave us the 426 HEMI.

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
My sister had nothing but problems with hers. Underpowered, rode bad, horrible gas mileage. If you tow, get a diesel. Jeep does not make one. Chevy, Ford or Dodge, trucks. As a SUV, crappy ride. Just say no! JMHO, Joe

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far I'm very impressed with mine... Pulled my enclosed trailer over the weekend and it did fine.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I have only rented them. I was impressed with the build quality and how tight they were. They rode hard, but I expected that from a Jeep. To their credit the ride had just enough compliance to not be harsh, so I thought Jeep did a very good job of walking that very fine line between hard core off road and something you can live with on public roads.
The only quality that made me uncomfortable was cornering. Even mild on ramps the surprisingly early onset of understeer had me wondering how it would behave, or mis-behave, if you had to make a sudden evasive maneuver or discovered you had misjudged a corner or an off ramp.
That said, I could probably find a half dozen pick ups better suited for towing and better all around road vehicles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts