Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, returning to the ride after many years, I'm interested in the new types of jackets.

I was a black leather rider, but newer ones I've seen on the net that use heavy ballistic nylon, with impact pads on elbows, shoulders etc. look interesting -- more comfortable, able to take liners for warmth, zip open vents for cool, and all that.

Still want black on black for styling, but any thoughts on whats the best combo of safety and comfort out there?

Thanks--

·
Full Speed Realtor
271 Posts
From what I've heard, ballistic is strong - but nothing beats leather. To me, Harleys and leather go together like peas and carrots. H-D jackets look great, and I wear mine out even when I'm not riding.

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
<<< also a big leather fan. Vanson, IMHO, offers the best combination of protection and durability. You'll pay a little more (well, maybe not more than a "H-D" branded jacket in a dealership) but will come away with a jacket that will last for many, many years.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you ride in the south where it get's very hot you should look at the Fieldsheer - Mach 1. I've had mine for just over a year and it's great because of the removable liner, body armor, etc.. It's also available in all black.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
For so many years I rode with leather n levis, standard Harley fare. But being in Hawaii, with constant heat and humidty left little to be desired of leather. Those 85 degree days in the hot sun on a hot bike tends to make one want to chill out and not ride.

So I picked up a Joe Rocket Phoneix, done in silver and black. Has a removable rain liner, that when worn in the rain works superb. Once the liner is zipped out in hot weather, it is not anywhere near as hot as leather. I can actually wear this in the day and ride without loosing tons of water through sweating.

Pros and cons on these ballistic lined jackets are, if you go down, the material burns into the skin from what I have read, unlike leather that is actually another skin. However the padding looks like it would keep a fair amount of bumps, bruises and rashes off the key spots, provided the jacket is adjusted right.

Also just picked up the Joe Rocket gloves that match the jacket, and these are really durable from the looks anyway. They have what looks like a kevlar knuckle cover, and also one for the side of the hand and thumb. The finger tops are cushioned, and I think they put this they so if you fo down, and end up slapping the ground with the back of your hand, it would absorb much of the impact. The palm side does not have much lining, which is a suprise. They are thin, but this works well for me in a tropical climate. If I go down, my mind says there is not enough there to absorb sliding for any great distance though, so I am trying to figure out how an additional layer of material or leather could be added, and if possible at all.

To aid in shedding heat, I picked up a hydra vest from a company in Vegas called CHILL-OUT. You soak this for a few minutes in water with the zip-lock bag they provide, and walla, you have an on the go A/C system for bikers. it workers really well on those hot days to keep you from fryin in the mid-day sun. The vest stays hydrated for many hours too, so instead of having to soak t-shirts, and the drip issues onto the levis is a thing of the past.

Good luck in your search for comfort and safety.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
LENELSA said:
I ordered this jacket from Vanson, still waiting for delivery (Custom collectable)
Thats a Pretty Sexy Jacket your getting there!I bet your wife helped pic it out! :hidesbeh: :thumb:

·
Registered
974 Posts
At sixty-five MPH the jacket should not flop around in the wind.
That was how my dad taught me to test the jacket.
Then comes fit ,finish and quality.
My old made in USA Harley jacket is probably 9 years old( my real old ones do not fit me anymore they are either my wifes or my daughters) and weighs twice what my crappy Chinese 100th Anniversary jacket does.
I did not buy the 100th one , I got it for my Anniversary from my wife.
I would hate to crash in that piece of crap.Might as well be in a jean jacket.
JMO,
BobT

·
Wretched Excess.....
2,067 Posts
I bought a First Gear Powercruiser and I am pleased so far.

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/products_leatherjackets.htm

It has a full sleeve zip out liner, vents front, rear, upper sleeves and cuffs. It also has pockets inside for optional armor. It got pretty warm here one day and I opened all the vents. Very nice!! I don't think I would buy another jacket without vents. My first choice would have to be Vanson but I just couldn't afford it right now.

·
Ghost Rider
533 Posts
I got an Arlen Ness one with all sorts of removable liners, rain gear and a back pack (of sorts). Great piece, had to buy it in the UK as I had never seen it in the US. Very cool and it has armor also.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It's a question of weather. When it's not raining i wear my tailor made kangaroo leather suite. When it's cold or it could be raining i prefer my leather/nylon-Jaket with trousers, with zipp-off warm insert. When i drive trough the city i like jeans an a cool locking leather jacket in classic bikestyle. I don't know a real one-does-it-all....
Teppo

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
Im trying to boost Harley stock prices by buying there jackets. I use 3 different weight jackets. For the coldest I have the HD Competition jacket. Lots of vents, great leather, removable liner, elbow and shoulder padding and weighs in at 7 lbs. Only complaint it that it only has 3 pockets.
For middle weight I use a HD nylon/cordura that is extreamly functional, light and warm. Lots of pockets. Dont know the name of it. Its got red fleece trim around the coller. Very light weight material. Im very happy with Harley jacket quality though.
Then theres always the denim jacket over a sweat shirt.
:2cents:

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
My next jacket will be a Vanson... a friend has one with all black Vanson insignia patches on it, as opposed to the yellow ones that are standard fare. He said he paid a few bucks extra for the black patches and they will set you up with a "patchless" jacket for a few dollars more too.

They are professional grade.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Rich Moran said:
So I picked up a Joe Rocket Phoneix, done in silver and black. Has a removable rain liner, that when worn in the rain works superb. Once the liner is zipped out in hot weather, it is not anywhere near as hot as leather. I can actually wear this in the day and ride without loosing tons of water through sweating.
I actually hit the tarmac once (on my previous bike, Bandit 1200) wearing Joe Rocket's Reactor jacket (same as Phoenix but with leather inserts) and Phoenix gloves. I walked out fine but the jacket and gloves were torn. These are pretty much a one-time "use".

·
'02 Anodized Club
970 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, folks -- great advice. Things have improved since my first few jackets....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Custom jacket... http://www.popsleather.com

Last year I took the plunge and ordered a custom jacket from http://www.popsleather.com. It worked out great, the jacket was of superior quality, inexpensive, and a custom fit. They have zip-out Thinsulate lining, etc., but they really only offer one style. (At least they have multiple leather color options.) Took about 2-3 weeks to receive the jacket, I think.

Problem... lost 55 pounds since last year. Emergency need for a jacket when the nice spring weather hit, and I wanted to try another style with a sporty snap-collar, so I bought a FirstGear off the rack. The new jacket is fine, but I'm thinking about going back and ordering another custom.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts