Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have around 1400 miles and have had nothing but fun until now. I did have a fuel flang problem at around 800 miles but that was fixed under warranty. My new problem is worse, I am out of my warranty and was too stupid to extend it> :banghead: I was on the freeway offramp when the darn thing just lost power. No warning, it just shut off! It will turn over and it will fire for a split second but it will not start. I understand that there is a recall but I have not recieved a letter. Maybe the fuel flang is the problem and all will be ok....If not , what is this going to cost me? :helpme: I have sent an E-mail to my local H-D service dept. with no reply. Oh and to top it all off, as I made my way to a safe place to stop, I dropped it in the lose dirt and gravel and bent the right lower frame.... Thank you for reading!

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
:welcome: Take a Deep Breath Drink a Beer and Relax! ;) Call you insurance agent and if your deductable is $250 or less your cool if not get it fixed and Ride! :kaz:

·
Vrod-less...........
850 Posts
P-4 said:
I have around 1400 miles and have had nothing but fun until now. I did have a fuel flang problem at around 800 miles but that was fixed under warranty. My new problem is worse, I am out of my warranty and was too stupid to extend it> :banghead: I was on the freeway offramp when the darn thing just lost power. No warning, it just shut off! It will turn over and it will fire for a split second but it will not start. I understand that there is a recall but I have not recieved a letter. Maybe the fuel flang is the problem and all will be ok....If not , what is this going to cost me? :helpme: I have sent an E-mail to my local H-D service dept. with no reply. Oh and to top it all off, as I made my way to a safe place to stop, I dropped it in the lose dirt and gravel and bent the right lower frame.... Thank you for reading!
:eek: Dude........... :broke:

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Sounds like a fuel issue. If it starts and runs foir a brief period, the motor and probablly the electrical is fine. Get it to the shop and let them look. Tell the insurance company what happened, get it repaired and ride again.

Dude, its only money, spend it, get it done and ride.

·
Registered
320 Posts
P-4 said:
I understand that there is a recall but I have not recieved a letter.

I'm only aware of the fuel flange letter, is there another one out thier?

Have the battery load tested, rememeber this bike is voltage dependent since it's fuel injected and computer controlled. Take it out and have you local H-D load test it for free.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered Confuser
828 Posts
Really sorry to hear about the problem and then the minor accident.
- Does the headlight come on full bright when you turn the key to run?
- Can you hear the fuel pump start up when the key goes to run?
Sounds fuel related to me.
Just be patient and she'll be as good as new.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, to all of you who are so supportive and possitive! I feel more at ease now knowing everything will work out in the end. To be honest I never thought about the Insurance angle. I do hope it ends up being the Fuel related recall. If it ends up being the recall that caused this mess, is it out of line to ask for the frame to be fixed also? Thank you again.............
TIM

·
Dr. Laser Guy
997 Posts
Same problem!!!

Exact same experience here. I fortunately came to a safe stop out of traffic, trying to restart all the while. I could detect the slightest hint of a fire for a couple of revs when attempting to start, but then no sign of life.

Did you solve your problem? Mine's at the local dealership and they haven't figured it out yet. I'd appreciate anything that you've learned so far.

Thanks!
Brent

Oh yeah, I've got a new 2003 (3 weeks, 840 miles)
Thanks again!

·
Oh,and...world peace
304 Posts
Sorry to hear about the drop. I just walked in to my house. My '04 lost 90% of its power. I pulled over, turned it off, waited for awhile and it wouldn't start until the 4th try. Barely got it home having to open the throttle almost all of the way to get enough juice to move. Dealer will "try" and pic it up tomorrow. Its all up hill from here!! Good to have a forum like this to help out.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Early on we saw several coils fail. They will cause a big loss of power and no idle when they fail.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
whats the news guys...anything???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I believe my problem is the Fuel Flange. I never thought about checking for it that day. But after replacing the Battery, checking the plugs and trying to start it again, I woke up and looked into the tank and turned the key...., There it was, the mist of fuel that was supposed to be going to the injectors.
I will be taking my bike in on Sat. for the recall. I will let you know how it ends up. TIM

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
Glad you got to bottom of this. I have an A model 04 made 09/03, Is my flange going to be OK on not? Maybe one of you guys knows?

Regards

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mr_vrodder said:
Glad you got to bottom of this. I have an A model 04 made 09/03, Is my flange going to be OK on not? Maybe one of you guys knows?

Regards
I don't know if you will have a problem. H-D has suppose to have fixed the problem with the recall part. I you did not get a letter for the recall, call you're dealer and ask them to check you'r VIN. #. I hope you will not have a problem as for my 2 experiances were vary scary!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck TIM :2cents:

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
Staney said:
The recall notice said that some early 2004's were affected also. So definitely go get your VIN # checked. :2cents:
Just checked with my dealer and I'm not on his list, only 03's on it.

·
Oh,and...world peace
304 Posts
Cylinder Failure

Dealer just called. Said the "2nd Cylinder totally failed" and have replaced it. I'll ask more details when I'm there...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts