Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What started as a nice 10th anniversary Street Rod has been transformed into a stretched Pro Street Chopper!

You know what “before” looks like, but the first pic is the exact bike.

The rest are the “after”...

Enjoy!

Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
look good to me look like you captured the look of the newer and the older vrod's with the 1960's chopper look how did you do the front rake and how is the ride with the front like that? only thing I see it need's is swing arm cap's but that is just me I have to say good Job lot of work and thought it .

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BB and all,

Thanks - was a labor of love alright...

Added 18 degrees of rake with this kit: http://www.chopperkitusa.com/hd_vrod.htm - adding 10" to the forks at the same time so it's right at NINE FOOT LONG from the front of the front tire to the rear of the rear...

And to be honest, it handles like crap now at less than 20mph...

It's a cruising monster at 20+ in straight lines and long slow sweeping curves - but it REALLY wants to lay itself over even when navigating normal street corners...

I like it for what it is - even though it's my worst handling chopper (yes I have more) - but now I need a V-Rod that's stock as I miss that! :)

Kevin

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts
No such thing as a "10th anniversary Street Rod", but congratulations on doing something few have tried.

And with your report on how it now handles,perhaps fewer will muck up another one. Truth be told, I come from the era of bikes with long,raked front ends and they never were known for their low speed handling.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No such thing as a "10th anniversary Street Rod", but congratulations on doing something few have tried.
Well, it’s the 10th anniversary and not a “muscle”, so that’s the description I went with...

H-D Heathenn4722207 said:
And with your report on how it now handles,perhaps fewer will muck up another one. Truth be told, I come from the era of bikes with long,raked front ends and they never were known for their low speed handling.
Yeah, I overdid it on the rake and fork length...

I’m no spring chicken myself (mid 50s) so know the era well - and I have another chopper (an OCC, built in a two episode special of their show in 2007) but this handles way worse than that because, again, I just flat overdid it...

Seriously, I might swap the front end out again to make it more rideable...

Kevin

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts
The VRSCR "Street Rod" model was only made from 2006 to 2007.

Your Anniversary model isn't one of them. From what I could just now hunt down on the interwebs its designation might be VRSCAANV.
Some Australian site listing.

Your bike's title might show the model type(or not,the DMV being what they are. )

Though to my eye it looks like an albino DX.

·
Asatruar
2,965 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Despite myself - I like the look of that too :)
Good job on the build Kevin.

I'm not up on front end geometry - but could a slightly revised set of yokes/triple trees (as you guys call them) give some kind of workable rake/trail to sort the slow speed steering without losing the length ?

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Back to the 60's ? !! WOW Man !

Just saw an advertisement on a Tail of the Dragon ride - RideableCustoms.com in Brasstown, N.C. with a different (but blue) V Rod Chopper as well. I'd love to ride it kestrou just to make me really appreciate the great ? steering of my R Model. if you play around with the triple clamp offset ( behind the steering head axis like H-D touring bikes ) and/or add a steering damper you may be able to reduce the ill handling effects at low speed. If you don't get a photo of that front wheel 6" off the ground soon everyone here will be missing out ! Anyway I've got a REAL 2003 Anniversary Edition ( like new ) with only 6000 miles for sale in classifieds here if you want to just sell the chopper and return to a "normal" V Rod ! Kudos for a wild build ! :blahblah: :D

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Who's on first ? What's on second ?

It started out not as a 2003 (10 Year or 100 Year ) Anniversary Edition like the one I'm selling or a (10 Year or 100 year ) Anniversary Edition Street Rod which doesn't exist, or even a 110th Anniversary Edition - it's an Albino DX like H.D.H. mentioned - with the wheels and rear fender it has installed ( if original ) an '08 or "09 Model, maybe a little newer ? :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the (mostly) love guys - was an "experiment" and I'm just reporting how it came out so others can appreciate and learn from my experience.

I'm not up on front end geometry - but could a slightly revised set of yokes/triple trees (as you guys call them) give some kind of workable rake/trail to sort the slow speed steering without losing the length ?
I'm *likely* to reduce the rake as a winter project - I added 18 degrees and could (fairly) easily change that to only 9 additional degrees. Am scribbling on the back of an envelope about how much to shorten the forks...

In the meantime, at Sturgis I picked up a bone-stock 2006 CVO Screaming Eagle (VRSCE2) in yellow/orange. So that, plus the others in the stable, are keeping my hair in the breeze.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.