Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
jacket off!
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a post that has me a bit concerned about the 200mm Avon rubbing aftermarket fuel cell. I consider this to be a kick in the nuts considering I just got a hell of a deal on a set......

Few (or more) questions:

1. Who has had this problem?
2. Which aftermarket tank?
3. What rear shocks are you running?
4. Where is the point of contact?

I am not interested in resurrecting another focking UE/Ricks tank war so PLEASE, for the love of all things chrome, don't take it down that path!!! Thanks.

·
Member #415
1,712 Posts
As I said, I mounted the 200 Avon,(I have a Ricks Tank), and with the bike in the air-the tire sat on the tank !!!
I should also point out, I have an 03 w/ a 30 tooth front sprocket and H-D Chrome shocks.
A few posted that if I switched to a 28, the greater distance between pulley and sprkt. MAY be enough to solve problem !!!
I sold 200 and went w/ a 180 Avon.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
1. Who has had this problem? I have had this issue
2. Which aftermarket tank? Rick's Tank
3. What rear shocks are you running? Stock and then progressive 440's HD (stock length)
4. Where is the point of contact? At the very bottom of the tank, in the center of it

To cure this problem I first used a 30t belt with the 28t pulley on my bike. That little bit of adjustment rearward of the wheel in the swingarm (the axle cams or adjusters are all the way at the end now) gave enough room to clear.

I then switched to a 26t front pulley and put the stock 28t belt back on the bike and still no contact. Axle cams still at their furthest setting so the wheel is set as far back as possible in the swingarm.

The only time the tire contacted was when the bike was off the ground and the suspension was fully extended. I didn't want to chance it though and made sure I had clearance by using the different length belts.

I would like to find a set of axle extenders so I have more room to go in regards to tightening the belt more (haven't needed to yet but I don't like being all the way at the end of adjustment either)

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Coonass, the Avon tire is a little taller than the Metzeler or Dunlop so exacerbates the problem. Not everyone that used this combination had the problem, but some did. The Ricks tank protrudes into the tire area a bit and at full extension contact can result.

Some of the folks that went to air shocks also had contact at the top of the tank due to shortened collapsed length. This can be solved by installation of bump stops on the shocks.

·
jacket off!
9,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.. I have the original UE tank (from the "BETA" install) and considering the fact that I dont have time to fock with getting the AVON to work, I'm just going to send em back and get the Metz. What really pisses me off is that I went against my gut...

·
~*~VDRNLN JUNKIE~*~
667 Posts
Seems like I read the UE tanks didn't have the tire problem that the Ricks did. Maybe someone will chime in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts