Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick setup:

2010 VRSCF
V & H performance slip ons
K&N
Topless (currently, can go back).

I did the latest updates to my PowerVision, including firmware and database. I also installed 2 custom tunes from the forums. One didn't work well, and while the Phoenix one works, it feels like the bike is struggling around 3,700 to 4,100 rpms in any gear - sputtering a bit. And so much blops on deceleration - more I think than it is supposed to.

As such, I tried the 3 tunes that are in the system since my update. For some reason all 3 - while they work, cause my speedometer to show twice my real speed. Going 50 KM/H shows 100 KM/H. Anyone else experiencing this? Anything to fix it?

Anyone have a great tune that will work with my bike? Everyone seems to point to the Pheonix, yet it doesn't seem to run properly on my bike (but the speedometer works!). I'm in Canada (Ottawa) and it gets pretty hot and humid here.

Hope you guys can help.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
quick setup:

2010 vrscf
v & h performance slip ons
k&n
topless (currently, can go back).

I did the latest updates to my powervision, including firmware and database. I also installed 2 custom tunes from the forums. One didn't work well, and while the phoenix one works, it feels like the bike is struggling around 3,700 to 4,100 rpms in any gear - sputtering a bit. And so much blops on deceleration - more i think than it is supposed to.

As such, i tried the 3 tunes that are in the system since my update. For some reason all 3 - while they work, cause my speedometer to show twice my real speed. Going 50 km/h shows 100 km/h. Anyone else experiencing this? Anything to fix it?

anyone have a great tune that will work with my bike? .
Dyno!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I did actually download Dyno last night and installed. It definitely is working better than the Phoenix or others I was trying.

I did reinstall the firmware and database files to the latest. And, I found the issue with the stock dB tunes, causing my speed to show double. I noticed on other tunes, such as Dyno that the speedometer pulses were set to 1341, whereas the stock were at 900. I think at 1341 it is still slightly off, but with 900 being about 50% different that likely is to blame for the issue.

Dyno seems to be everything I need, but does also account (I believe) for bigger oxygen sensor. Correct? As I don't have that, won't the tune run overly rich?

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
...For some reason all 3 - while they work, cause my speedometer to show twice my real speed. Going 50 KM/H shows 100 KM/H. Anyone else experiencing this? Anything to fix it?...
Have you looked at "Speedometer Calibration" under "Gear" in the WINPV tuning software (must be in pro user level)? (If using the "Quick Tune" software you can find this as "VSS" under the "Config" tab).

If the speedometer is really off as much as you say this "Pulses/KM" value needs to be doubled (increasing this number will lower the speedometer reading).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you looked at "Speedometer Calibration" under "Gear" in the WINPV tuning software (must be in pro user level)? (If using the "Quick Tune" software you can find this as "VSS" under the "Config" tab).

If the speedometer is really off as much as you say this "Pulses/KM" value needs to be doubled (increasing this number will lower the speedometer reading).
Hey man - think I was typing same time as you. That is exactly what it seemed to be. Odd that the new DB tunes from DynoJet would be screwed up to 900 pulses rather than 1341. My question, is even at 1341, it seems to be "off". I had my wife drive beside me in our car at 100 KM/H and I was on the bike last night. Speedometer on bike was still not showing 100, more like 105. So, close but not there. Does anyone know from the factory with factory sized tires on a 2010 Muscle, what the pulses should be?

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
...Odd that the new DB tunes from DynoJet would be screwed up to 900 pulses rather than 1341. My question, is even at 1341, it seems to be "off". I had my wife drive beside me in our car at 100 KM/H and I was on the bike last night. Speedometer on bike was still not showing 100, more like 105. So, close but not there. Does anyone know from the factory with factory sized tires on a 2010 Muscle, what the pulses should be?
Tire diameter varies with wear, tire pressure, and brand so you'll need to do minor adjustments for any bike. Another point is the VSS number that gets programmed into the bike isn't really "pulses/KM" as the Dynojet software indicates. The number Delphi uses is called PPU = pulses per unit distance (Delphi is the company that makes the Harley ECMs). The number Delphi uses for "unit distance" is 40 meters (you'll have to ask them why this distance was chosen). Anyway these are some various PPU values for different tires and front sprockets:
(numbers shown are tire diameter in mm / front sprocket teeth / PPU)
For a Dunlop 240: 658.1 / 28 / 1294
For a Dunlop 240: 658.1 / 30 / 1207
For an Avon Cobra 240: 648 / 28 / 1314
For an Avon Cobra 240: 648 / 30 / 1226
For a Dunlop 180: 656.1 / 28 / 1298
For a Dunlop 180: 656.1 / 30 / 1211
For an Avon Cobra 180: 655 / 28 / 1300
For an Avon Cobra 180: 655 / 30 / 1213​

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tire diameter varies with wear, tire pressure, and brand so you'll need to do minor adjustments for any bike. Another point is the VSS number that gets programmed into the bike isn't really "pulses/KM" as the Dynojet software indicates. The number Delphi uses is called PPU = pulses per unit distance (Delphi is the company that makes the Harley ECMs). The number Delphi uses for "unit distance" is 40 meters (you'll have to ask them why this distance was chosen). Anyway these are some various PPU values for different tires and front sprockets:
(numbers shown are tire diameter in mm / front sprocket teeth / PPU)
For a Dunlop 240: 658.1 / 28 / 1294
For a Dunlop 240: 658.1 / 30 / 1207
For an Avon Cobra 240: 648 / 28 / 1314
For an Avon Cobra 240: 648 / 30 / 1226
For a Dunlop 180: 656.1 / 28 / 1298
For a Dunlop 180: 656.1 / 30 / 1211
For an Avon Cobra 180: 655 / 28 / 1300
For an Avon Cobra 180: 655 / 30 / 1213​
Thanks, I'm running a Pirelli Night Dragon 240/40/VR18 on the back, but no idea on the sprocket. Is there a normal sprocket size for a 2010 Canadian Spec Muscle?

Would love to match this up to fine dial it in.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
Thanks, I'm running a Pirelli Night Dragon 240/40/VR18 on the back, but no idea on the sprocket. Is there a normal sprocket size for a 2010 Canadian Spec Muscle?

Would love to match this up to fine dial it in.
The sprocket tooth count is stamped on the sprocket. Remove the front sprocket cover and you should be able to see it.

For some reason Pirelli doesn't publish the size data for their tires so you'll have to measure this yourself. The easiest way is to mark a spot on the floor of a garage where the tire touches and place a corresponding mark on the tire. Move the bike forward one full revolution and mark the floor again. The distance between the two marks is the tire circumference = circ (measure this in mm).
Now do the following calculations:
tire revolutions per km = 1000000/circ (this should be ≈ 490)
transmission output shaft revolutions per km = tire revolutions per km * 72 / front sprocket tooth count
for 28 teeth this should be ≈ 1250 and for 30 teeth this should be ≈ 1160​
speed sensor pulses per km = transmission output shaft revolutions per km * 26 (5th gear tooth count)
for 28 teeth this should be ≈ 32400 and for 30 teeth this should be ≈ 30300​
PPU = speed sensor pulses per km / 25 = speed sensor pulses per 40 m
for 28 teeth this should be ≈ 1300 and for 30 teeth this should be ≈ 1200​

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"twice the real speed" is a bit more of a problem than tires sizes and tire PSI's. It has to be in the calibration somewhere.
Hey TwinOaks - it was a calibration of the tunes. Under Gear / Speedometer Calibration for some reason on all 3 stock tunes from the latest download it was set to 900 Pulses per KM. When I downloaded the Dyno tune, it had 1341, which brought it pretty close. From the help of Steve and sprocket / tire, etc this will help me to fine tune to what it should read. We tested yesterday and at 1341, my wife in the car doing 100 KM/H and me on the bike only showed about 5 KM/ H difference which I can live with more so than 40 / 50% difference!

Cheers,

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Hey TwinOaks - it was a calibration of the tunes. Under Gear / Speedometer Calibration for some reason on all 3 stock tunes from the latest download it was set to 900 Pulses per KM. When I downloaded the Dyno tune, it had 1341, which brought it pretty close. From the help of Steve and sprocket / tire, etc this will help me to fine tune to what it should read. We tested yesterday and at 1341, my wife in the car doing 100 KM/H and me on the bike only showed about 5 KM/ H difference which I can live with more so than 40 / 50% difference!

Cheers,
Another reason I don't like "downloaded" maps. Not only are they generic, but prone to degradation and a less than pure transfer after being bounced around the planet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey,

Really appreciate the help. I was wondering if you guys (or others) might be able to help me dial this in. I have been running this file for 2 days now, and made some minor tweaks as I go to help smooth it out. Bike is running really well now overall, but in any gear between about 2,900 RPM to 3,800 RPM there is a bit of stuttering and what feels like misfires. It doesn't make a sound like a misfire, but you can hear a bit of a change in tone and a bit of a stutter from the bike.

I'm not certain if I need to dial up the fuel a bit on both cylinders, 1 cylinder, dial it back, etc, etc.

My setup:

2010 VRSCF
V&N Competition Series Slip Ons
K&N Air filter
Topless

In in Ottawa, Canada, and the temps have been warm, about 26 Celsius (80 F) and 32% relative humidity.

I've attached the file here in hopes that someone might help me out. This file came from a mix of a few downloaded files, including Phoenix and Dyno, as well as some info from the stock 3rd tune (ends in 3).

Thanks guys for helping me get the speedometer working right. I seem to be great now within a few KM / HR which I can live with. IF you can help me figure out the stuttering / misses on all gears between 2,900 - 3,800 RPM, life would be golden. Oh, throttle is about 20% - so basically cruising speed / RPM. I feel like I actually have to gear down and run at over 4,000 RPM to stop it from feeling like it is cutting out.

File is located here - http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396953

All the best,

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Quick setup:

2010 VRSCF
V & H performance slip ons
K&N
Topless (currently, can go back).

I did the latest updates to my PowerVision, including firmware and database. I also installed 2 custom tunes from the forums. One didn't work well, and while the Phoenix one works, it feels like the bike is struggling around 3,700 to 4,100 rpms in any gear - sputtering a bit. And so much blops on deceleration - more I think than it is supposed to.

As such, I tried the 3 tunes that are in the system since my update. For some reason all 3 - while they work, cause my speedometer to show twice my real speed. Going 50 KM/H shows 100 KM/H. Anyone else experiencing this? Anything to fix it?

Anyone have a great tune that will work with my bike? Everyone seems to point to the Pheonix, yet it doesn't seem to run properly on my bike (but the speedometer works!). I'm in Canada (Ottawa) and it gets pretty hot and humid here.

Hope you guys can help.
Try this one.
https://app.box.com/s/2vphextsglo8g060k38y5l4owx2jcuk6
Ron

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Thanks Ron - appreciate it! Just loaded it into PowerVision - wow that is a lean tune. The weather is not that great in Ottawa today so won't be able to get out. Interested to see how it runs!

cheers,
Trust me, that is not lean by any means at least on my bike. Cruise, while it gives me about 40 mpg (us gal) it could go a hair leaner still. You've been looking at too many shit rich tunes on forums. LOL Try it, it may or may not work for you. My exhaust is Fatshots so that can make a difference in the low end, maybe. It's a good starting point if nothing else. Here's a short log from a recent short loop I ran showing it's as perfect as it gets on my rig.
https://app.box.com/s/nihlkg9zetoswr2mog8awakc0io9j1zm
Here's the PV base cal to compare to the one I sent.
https://app.box.com/s/qvo8qerdy3894gxavphym1rzchm00r1e
Ron

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha!!

All good. Sorry, didn't mean that it looked lean from a bad way. Heck, I'm all about saving money on fuel and not dumping it out the back. Looking forward to trying this.

As an aside, do you suggest that we always reset trim with each new tune?

Thanks again Ron - really appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Ha!!

All good. Sorry, didn't mean that it looked lean from a bad way. Heck, I'm all about saving money on fuel and not dumping it out the back. Looking forward to trying this.

As an aside, do you suggest that we always reset trim with each new tune?

Thanks again Ron - really appreciate it.
No offense taken. Wanna see stupid lean, take a look at a stock cal. Not sure how the damn thing even runs with it?
https://app.box.com/s/b2i5rkhlsw0l58vuyjo9ezcf3jnikw7k

Yes, always reset trims on each load of a new or any mods done to a cal during tuning it.
Ron

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No offense taken. Wanna see stupid lean, take a look at a stock cal. Not sure how the damn thing even runs with it?
https://app.box.com/s/b2i5rkhlsw0l58vuyjo9ezcf3jnikw7k

Yes, always reset trims on each load of a new or any mods done to a cal during tuning it.
Ron
Awesome - thanks again Ron. Driving the bike into work tomorrow (50KM each way) so will flash tomorrow morning.

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts