Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
"Vrod King"
845 Posts
You are looking for a Unicorn. Eagle Harley Davidson in Lafayette Indiana made kits but have closed. I believed they only made 50 kits. The Buell wheels were popular for the guys that were drag racing in the early years. Some that did this modification had to make their own parts. The front wheel is easy to do and I have made my own caliper mount for the 8 piston caliper. Three of mine run the 8 piston caliper up front. The early kits were for the 6 piston calipers and the mounts will not fit the 8 piston ones. You can add a shim to each side the front spacers to make them work. The rear wheel is the pain. The rear bearings in the wheel are 30mm i.d. and nobody makes a bearing that you can swap out for the 1" axle. You would have to make a sleeve to fit. A custom rear brake rotor would be needed for the stock rear caliper. It would probability be easier to go with a chain drive instead of a belt because sprockets are available for the wheel. A pulley for a belt would have to be machined for the wheel. A spacer would be needed for both chain sprocket or belt pulley.

You can always send me a PM for more help on this.

·
"Vrod King"
845 Posts
You would need to change the front axle to a later model 25mm one. Everyone who did this before had to have an axle turned down from 1" to 25mm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
  1. You would need to change the front axle to a later model 25mm one. Everyone who did this before had to have an axle turned down from 1" to 25mm.
  2. Thanks for the reply Mike. Yeah, unfortunately I’ve noticed most of the talk about this mod is years old at this point. From everything I read, it sounded like it was an all around improvement. The only negative I seen was from removing the cush drive. Some suggested that this caused increase wear to the drivetrain. Do you have any experience with this? Do you believe this mod is better fot streetability? I ask because you mentioned many guys doing this for the track.

·
"Vrod King"
845 Posts
I haven't seen any increased wear to the drive train. My '05 runs a chain drive and the '02 runs a belt. Both are very streetable and one of the best mods you can do. Even if you only do the front wheel you will see a difference in the way the bike feels. My '09 and '07 both run the 240 on the rear with the Buell up front.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't seen any increased wear to the drive train. My '05 runs a chain drive and the '02 runs a belt. Both are very streetable and one of the best mods you can do. Even if you only do the front wheel you will see a difference in the way the bike feels. My '09 and '07 both run the 240 on the rear with the Buell up front.
Thanks for the feedback. That’s really helpful. I’ve reached out to Fitzgerald Motorsports (Scott) and it appears he may have everything to make it happen. I’m afraid for my wallet, but that seems to come with the territory.

·
"Vrod King"
845 Posts
Scott knows what is needed as his Big Red had Buell wheels. If possible, go with the 8 piston caliper up front. Your brake lever will better. With the 6 piston, your brake lever only moves 1/2" (if that).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scott knows what is needed as his Big Red had Buell wheels. If possible, go with the 8 piston caliper up front. Your brake lever will better. With the 6 piston, your brake lever only moves 1/2" (if that).
I did a search and only found two 8 piston calipers on ebay. Are these what you are talking about:

·
"Vrod King"
845 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts