Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought a ROD, a 2006 Night Rod.

I have had is about 3 weeks now.

I bought with some backyard "custom" exhaust pipes on it, without a power commander.

It would spit a little, and burn the crapolla out of any jeans I wore, the pipes would get incredibley hot.

I decided to buy a stock exhaust and put it on.

It is exceptionally quieter, cooler, and smoother.

However, when I am at moderate cruising and... beyond that :angeldev:, when I get on the throttle pretty heavy, is seems to not have any power. Then, I lay off the throttle a bit, and I get back into a zone where is takes off pretty well. So, basically when I slam the throttle down pretty heavy, it seems like it is getting choked up on something:moped: .

Is this normal?

This is my first bike, so I have no real point of reference.

Would this be corrected by a power commander? Or do I need a completely new exhaust system AND a power commander?

Thanks,

morf

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
He ran without any fuel manager??? That is very odd. Usually the change in pipes requires the addition of a FM. Do some searching, there are several different ones out there and chances are, even with stock pipes, you'll notice a big difference with one of the cheaper models. If money is no object, then get the Power Commander or SERT. I personally have the Gil's box and think it's the best thing for the $$$.

Soon you'll be running topless and modding the pipes anyways. Welcome to the FORUM!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks..

Thanks man..

So this is normal with stock pipes?

It didn't seem to happen with the other pipes, but the bike stalled out all the time, and it spit, and backfired occasionally.

morf

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Sounds to me like the original map has been replaced, and the bike is now running horribly rich on stock pipes. Dunno how you set it back to stock, someone should be along in a minute who knows.

[Disclaimer - I'm new to V-Rods]

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hrm..

Can you change the EFI without a power commander type unit?

morf

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
morf said:
Can you change the EFI without a power commander type unit?
Yes - with either a dealer flash to the ECM or DIY with a SERT (Screaming Eagle Race Tuner)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hrm.. acronyms

Anyone have a translation book for those acronyms?

morf

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Should have specified.

Agh, so, I basically need either a PCIII, and a dyno tune, or a SERT and someone that knows what they are doing?

Frustrating....

I wont hurt anything if I keep riding for a couple months like it is, will I?

I plan to get a PCIII asap, since I plan on going with one of the aftermarket pipes eventually.

The problem will be tuning. I think I am going to have to go all the way to ATL to get a map made for my bike, and that is a logistics nightmare for me. Getting the bike up there, assuming I will have to leave the bike there for a few days, and picking the bike up, etc.

:banghead:

morf

·
evan04hd
416 Posts
If you have the stock pipes on now, you should just go to your local dealer and have it flashed back to stock. At most dealers there's isnt a charge for that, if it is it won't be much. Then with the stock pipes and stock flash you will be back at the starting point, and it should run great.

·
Deputy Rally Rouser
1,795 Posts
And--I will add--you really should do it sooner than later. It's hard on the engine to run it out of tune and burn rich or starve it lean. It's not a big chunk o' change to get the tune set right, and it will definitely be better for the motor.

·
Paintless Rider
1,326 Posts
I bought my bike used and it seemed that it used to have different pipes on it before because of the way the stock pipes were put back on it. I'm taking it to the dealer to get the ECM checked to see if it was flashed for a different pipe setup. If you get the PC3, you can use the stock maps for pipes you add, or they have a map for stock air filter and stock pipe. You might want to pull a spark plug to check how the engine has been running. You shouldn't need a PC3 just to run it stock.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Running a bike with the wrong tune is potentially very bad for it, yes. Yours sounds rich rather than lean, so not SUCH a problem, but still a problem. A competent dealer should be able to flash it back to stock easily, and even if you add a Power Commander, none of the maps will be right (I think) if the base ECM is wrong.

The Power Commanded works by sitting on top of the ECM and fooling it into adding extra petrol (basically). If the ECM is already wrong, that means you would need a whole new map.

So, go get the ECM put back to stock right away, I would say.

[Disclaimer - I'm new to V-Rods and I've never even SEEN a Power Commander]

·
Where's Max?
2,444 Posts
quick trip to the dealer to install the factory flash back on it, it's like $100 - $150ish, but I do agree with everyone else, running it with too much or too little fuel is a bad thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts