Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am glad to report that for the first time in two years, I had my bike off of the jack. This was the first time I have seen it off of the jack and out of the garage for two years. All know my plight so I want go thru that.

Well I took the bike and loaded it on my truck to have the frame painted. Funny, I have never transported a bike before and I purchased the ratchet straps. No one told me the process so I tied down the back and got to ratcheting away, all the way to the point that the darn bike almost flew off of the back end of the track. Luckely I caught it right as the rear wheel cleared the back tailgate. You guys never told me that you are supposed to tie down and ratchet tight the front first. Darn near catastrophe, I never knew I was suo strong. You will be surprised what you can do out of pure fright.

What I am posting about is that six months ago I had my shocks lowered by Skullman to 11.5, and a fine job I might add. Well for the first time I saw the bike with the shocks on and not on the jack. It blew my mind how low the bike sits. The frame seems awefully close to the ground. Is that normal for 11.5 shocks. the bike seems so low, almost like a drag bike. IS something wrong. I mean I could not get my jack under the frame anymore.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
not sure what the hell you just said...

but I did see 11.5" shocks mentioned but no pics.
:worthless

·
NOT A REAL HD RIDER
779 Posts
Your shocks should'nt make any difference in the ground clearance of the frame.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
dharlow said:
Your shocks should'nt make any difference in the ground clearance of the frame.
??? Of course they do - the shorter the shock, the lower the bike sits - at least until the tire hits your inner fender

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Yes the shocks controll frame to ground clearance.
I use a piece of 6 x 2 wood about a foot long w an angle cut to ride the front wheel up onto to gain clearance.I ride the bike onto the wood for control and then have the jack close to set it under the frame while I'm still sitting on the bike,once the jack is secured to the frame I get off to raise it.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
I run the same shocks and yes the frame will be lower to the ground. take a look at my gallery. 2 by 4 under the rear tire works good.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
VrodG said:
I run the same shocks and yes the frame will be lower to the ground. take a look at my gallery. 2 by 4 under the rear tire works good.
do you have 11.5's?? i thought yours were 12"

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Oldfox your using a CFR swingarm and lowered shocks together? The swing arm by itself will drop the bike almost an inch because of shock location. Your really going to sit low with that combo. I run 12" shocks with the cfr and am about as low as I dare go without tire contact.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
oldfox, ya gotta stop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts