Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this high for insurance. I ran full coverage uninsured motorist and general stuff it is about 50 bucks more then I pay for my jeep wrangler that is priced in KBB at 16k.

Here is a attachment for the coverage and this was on a 2011 vrod muscle. I guess it could be high due to a new rider and such

6 Payments

$193.55 a month

-Start for as little as $319.25

or

Pay in full

$1,257.00

·
james
601 Posts
Is this high for insurance. I ran full coverage uninsured motorist and general stuff it is about 50 bucks more then I pay for my jeep wrangler that is priced in KBB at 16k.

Here is a attachment for the coverage and this was on a 2011 vrod muscle. I guess it could be high due to a new rider and such

6 Payments

$193.55 a month

-Start for as little as $319.25

or

Pay in full

$1,257.00
you must have some points on your shit that is dam near the payment on my bike a month, i've only been rideing for a little over 4 yrs and and pay 277 a yr...shop around try gieco...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that was geico and as far as I know my record is clean. my auto insurance is with geico so I went there first. In fact I have the 5 year good driver discount on my auto policy. At first it was 280 a year but when I added comprehensive and uninsured motorist it went way up
you must have some points on your shit that is dam near the payment on my bike a month, i've only been rideing for a little over 4 yrs and and pay 277 a yr...shop around try gieco...

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Geico is my Auto Ins co too but their Bike Ins was OUTRAGEOUS in CA. I went with Foremost and pay $325 a year for Excellent coverage. Progressive was OK but went up every year for no reason other than they wanted to .

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Depends on your age, driving record, credit score, location. If you're in your 20s then it's probably about right. First year on a bike is going to be high too. I paid $700 or so first year $400 something per year now with Geico. They're very reasonable for me here in Texas. Progressive was almost $2000k for the first year.

Shop around.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I also was with Progressive initially because their rates were reasonable at the time over other companies. Every year after that, I was having rate increases every year for no reason. I went with Geico (who I have my autos insured with) It was a little cheaper the first year and went down a bunch on the second year, I also get a better rate on the auto's insurance with the bike.

Now seeing how you are a "new rider" Most incidences happen in the first 6 months of riding, especially with "NEW RIDER" + "NEW BIKE" = HIGHER PREMIUMS.
If you take and pass a MSF course, insurance companies will give a discount for MSF riders.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is why I like geico, when I bought my buy here pay here truck I had to go full coverege. So I called geico and was preparing for 250 a month. It was 195 and went down the first year then down the next 6 months and now with my jeep with every coverage out there and I am at 150 on my jeep. I will shop around 30 or 40 bucks a month diff I could handle, they have been great to me with auto insurance. Plus I think I would get 20% off my auto policy if I go with them. It had a place to check for the safety course and I did since I will have it done before getting my bike. My credit sucks, but should not be a big diff then my auto coverage.
I also was with Progressive initially because their rates were reasonable at the time over other companies. Every year after that, I was having rate increases every year for no reason. I went with Geico (who I have my autos insured with) It was a little cheaper the first year and went down a bunch on the second year, I also get a better rate on the auto's insurance with the bike.

Now seeing how you are a "new rider" Most incidences happen in the first 6 months of riding, especially with "NEW RIDER" + "NEW BIKE" = HIGHER PREMIUMS.
If you take and pass a MSF course, insurance companies will give a discount for MSF riders.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
$1,257.00 a year to cover one bike is outrageous,even if you carried 1,000,000 , 300 ,300 ,uninsured,under-insured and 100,000 in bil and property damage,the premium should be around $300 per year where I live,without stacking and if you are a safe rider over 40yo.

1 million,300,300 is high coverage,and just an example.300,100,100,and 50 in bil is more than enough.If you ever get into a spot where this isn't high enough coverage,you're screwed!

Learn what the coverage terminology means and shop around for the coverage that best suits you and the area you live.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thats crazy high, You should be paying about 250.00 a year.A bike is not like a car as far as doing damage to something else.

·
Premium Member
11,366 Posts
I have three bikes. total bill for full coverage for all three is $900. 1/2 of that is for uninsured motorist premium which is sorely needed here in Florida.

Check out FOREMOST for good premiums.

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
Wow that is high.. I pay $295 a YEAR with collision and a $250 deductable with road side assistance from the lizzard.

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
Progressive doesn't give an MSF discount. Arsewipes

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
I checked progressive and their about 140 to 170 a month depending on coverage amounts and such.
Do you have any Points etc...? These are Terrible quotes, When I bought my Bike it was my 1st bike and it was considered Special and Big etc... so it was More than say a Sportie etc... but at the Most it ever was no more than $600 a year for Low Deductible and 60,100,60 coverage which is Way too much coverage anyway but NEVER near the quotes you are getting.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can the BMV tell me if I have points or anything. Not sure how I could. I had a speeding tickets ohh 8 years ago, and a wreck where I got a ticket for crossing the center line. The wreck never ended up on my record just the ticket. I had to take defensive driving which knocked those points off. This was all 8 years or so ago.
Do you have any Points etc...? These are Terrible quotes, When I bought my Bike it was my 1st bike and it was considered Special and Big etc... so it was More than say a Sportie etc... but at the Most it ever was no more than $600 a year for Low Deductible and 60,100,60 coverage which is Way too much coverage anyway but NEVER near the quotes you are getting.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
In PA my insurance was $400/year, here in CA it is now about $1k/year which includes Full coverage, $100k payout for me if injured, plus covers medical for the first $200k.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts