Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have attached two images of what appears to be dry cracks on this front tire. Particularly interesting the rear tire (240 MM) is in great shape. I know that at 9K with this original set, it is time to go.

The wear mark is visible but it has at least 1.5 ~ 2 mm before it gets there.

However, I'd still like and appreciate your opinions.

Thanks,
German

Attachments

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
I'd replace it, and not with another Dunflop. That tire has got to be like an ice skate on wet or scree. Go Metz or better yet Avon IMHO.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I'd say no. It's good to go till it's punctured or the wear indicators are even with the tread.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,460 Posts
How many miles on it or how many years old is it?

Tread depth is good but cracking occurs with age because the rubber loses it's flexibility and some believe (racers) it's grip. If you ride no more than it appears any brand will do likewise with time.

I have no preconceived brand loyalties and have used 3 different brands on mine and been happy with the grip/wear of all. With that said I let my pocket book make the choices and have gone with Bridgestone but I'm not sure they offer anything for your wider rear.
The Metzs are a good general "all-rounder", the Dunlops are too but the fronts seem to scallop more than some others due to the tread pattern (my opinion), Avons are way too pricey for my blood.

I've not seen where any wears appreciably longer. Comments to the contrary can't be verified everywhere as tarmac compounds in different areas and riding styles affect wear as much as rubber.

Now that I've put the stick in the hornets nest and shook it about use your own judgement. But ride the thing and get the life out of them.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd say no. It's good to go till it's punctured or the wear indicators are even with the tread.

I do not want to come accross as though I do not want to replace it, but it seems to me that there is some thread left on this tire. The wear indicators are nowhere near. I am only concerned with the cracks. Naturally nobody wants to have a blow out or a puncture somewhere out on a ride.

Thanks,
German

·
09 vrscf
203 Posts
If it was on my dirtbike (the crack lol not the tread) I would prob run it. Not on my street tires though. Enough things can go wrong on a street bike without adding to the possibilities of a flat tire. All because you tried to get an extra mile on them. Just have to ask yourself is it worth it...IMO Sorry NO

Know how it feels when you get new tires on a car? How much better it feels in curves and rain. You'll get that same elation from new motorcycle tires...
Thanks Mike

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
That tire was terrible the day it was installed on your motorcycle.
Get it and the rear off.Once you have a real set of tires on,you'll notice the difference right away.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I agree ditch the dunlops there brutal tires, you could probly ride another half season with those but why chance it IMO.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How many miles on it or how many years old is it?

Tread depth is good but cracking occurs with age because the rubber loses it's flexibility and some believe (racers) it's grip. If you ride no more than it appears any brand will do likewise with time.

I have no preconceived brand loyalties and have used 3 different brands on mine and been happy with the grip/wear of all. With that said I let my pocket book make the choices and have gone with Bridgestone but I'm not sure they offer anything for your wider rear.
The Metzs are a good general "all-rounder", the Dunlops are too but the fronts seem to scallop more than some others due to the tread pattern (my opinion), Avons are way too pricey for my blood.

I've not seen where any wears appreciably longer. Comments to the contrary can't be verified everywhere as tarmac compounds in different areas and riding styles affect wear as much as rubber.

Now that I've put the stick in the hornets nest and shook it about use your own judgement. But ride the thing and get the life out of them.
I have turned over the 9200 mile mark. The tires are original equipment as purchased from Harley. The bike is a 2008 VRSCAW but I picked up in November 2007.

I was checking the Michelin Scorcher 11? I know that they are the new tire supplier for Harley, but I have not heard great comments on the Metzeler or Bridgestone brands.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
I've seen worse tires! With that many miles, I think you have got your monies worth. With a tire at $150 or less and damage to the bike of maybe a $1,000 for the sake of a tire, I would replace it. You asked so you don't like it either!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've seen worse tires! With that many miles, I think you have got your monies worth. With a tire at $150 or less and damage to the bike of maybe a $1,000 for the sake of a tire, I would replace it. You asked so you don't like it either!
Thanks for the comment. I am pretty sure I will be replacing them with Michelin Scorcher 11's.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dude,
The 2003 I just got only has 5K miles on it, but the tires are like yours so I ordered the Bridgestones yesterday. $215.00 for both to my door. There's an indy that'll install them for $20.00 each if I pull the wheels off and take it all to him. So, $255.00 and I'm on new feet.
I'm cheap, but I'm not stupid!

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
As a pay it forward, come on down to central NJ exit 4 turn pike. We can do an install day.
The 240 rear is a pig to do, might have to break the bead at the dealers round the corner. No biggie

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Those aren't age cracks. They are road debris damage. Ride it and replace it with the rear.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Dude,
The 2003 I just got only has 5K miles on it, but the tires are like yours so I ordered the Bridgestones yesterday. $215.00 for both to my door. There's an indy that'll install them for $20.00 each if I pull the wheels off and take it all to him. So, $255.00 and I'm on new feet.
I'm cheap, but I'm not stupid!
Where did you order from? Motorcycle Tire Superstore does not carry the Scorchers as of yet. I am trying to find out who has them so that I can order. If I go to the stealership, they probably want a whole bunch, because they have them.

Once I order, I can ride anywhere to get them mounted.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The original tires blow one side scallops other side cracks, 3 of the R,s in my family did the same @ 6-9k. Sure you can ride them like this if you ride like ma & pa kettle. Why risk it ? If you ride aggressively the avon cobras are great but dont expect longevity I replace mine every other year. If durability is important consider advice from folks that do alot of touring.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts