Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
#1 Red Wings Fan
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my 1st Harley. Yes, it is an '07 DX. Here's how my deal went. Sorry so long but......

I was told they were in short supply and high in demand. I would have to put $1000 down to hold the last one they were getting this year. I had to hurry as there was a list of buyers who wanted the bike but it was my turn in the barrell... I put the $$ down. I was told it was a non-refundable deposit and all harley dealers do it. I bought it and gave them the deposit . I also ordered a windshield and a seat rest. I left the deposit and signed the parts order form (6/9/07/). The bike was to be delivered on 6/19. I was all excited about getting my 1st H-D. I visited the store a couple of times talking to my salesman and such. Asking questions about upgrades etc. I was told the dealer would check the staus on the delivery thru the internet and the bike would be shipped a week prior to the 19th. I checked a couple of times during the days leading up to the 19th. No info from H-D. On the 19th I was told the bike shipped and would be there within a week. I was still jazzed at this point. I asked about the parts and was told they would be put on the bike as it was being readied.

On the Tuesday the 26th I called my salesman. He told me he was on his days off and wouldn't be back for 2 days. He told me to come in on the 28th when he was back. He said he received the paperwork but didn't know if the bike was in.

Late that afternoon after speaking with the wife I called the dealership. I spoke to a different salesman. I asked if the bike was in and he told me it was. I asked if I could come see it. I went home got the wife and we went to see it. The new salesman took in the back room. The bike was already on a rack being prepped. The salesman spoke to the service manager. he allowed us to see the bike on the rack. I was told the bike would be ready at 3 pm the next day.

The new salesman asked if I wanted to take care of all the paperwork. I told him I was working with another salesman and didn't want to step on anyones toes regarding the deal. He told me to call the shop the next day.

I called the next day. The new salesman said he whad it worked out and my guy said it was ok? I showed up at 3 for the bike. I saw it and looked great. The winshield and seat rest were not on the bike. I inquired as to why not. My new salesman went and got the order. He told me the order was there but my old salesman never signed it so it was never processed.

I paid the down payment and ordered my parts on 6/9. It was now 6/26 and they never got ordered. Everytime I went into that store and asked, I was told everything would be taken care of. Well it was not......

Since the order had not gone in I added a thunderheader on the 26th. It's now 7/11 and nothing has come in yet? I went to the shop on 7/8. I was asked to call the parts guy back later int he day as they were swamped. No biggie, I could do that. I called back, was put on hold, then gave a message. Still haven't heard from the guy?

Oh yeah, the all H-D dealers take non refundable deposits was blown out of the water. Stopped in another store and was checking out their assecories when I was told the dealership I went to requires the non refundable deposits is because they lost too many customers....

One other thing, When I 1st inquired about the price of the bike I was told this dealership doesn't mark up their prices. Well, I found that out to also be a lie. When I confronted my salesman about that he gave me a store gift certificate to cover the mark up.

I love my bike. It's awesome. Couldn't be happier.... As for the deal and the follow-up service... It sucks.... I'm debating that after I get my 1st service that I'll use another dealer... I'm also going to ask for my parts and take them somewhere else to be installed....

Again, sorry so long but this has been bugging me....

Is this common......?

D

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
I had to pay $500 for them to reserve the bike for me. I called my sales guy every other day... and he didnt act impatient about it, in fact we'd bs about how things were and what not. Bike showed up a week early and I was there the same day with cash.

I think I had a great transaction... but I've heard of others who didnt have such a good interaction with the dealers... such as Stubbs in Houston telling me that they were doing a $3k mark up because the bike was in such high demand.... naturally I didnt do business with them anymore.

I hope it works out for you man... you just have to read through their BS and keep checking on them because they WILL forget.

·
Registered
92 Posts
They have you at "DX"

Same situation, put money on the next DX to come in...1 month, no bike, next week, no bike, and so on... This was from a dealer almost 60 miles from me.. sitting at work one Saturday and see that the local dealer has one on the floor... bought it that day...The other dealer gave me back my deposit but was not happy.
Funny thing is that at a Patriot Guard ride I meet the gentlemen who purchased the DX that finally came in, he works at the dealership.
I was told that the General Sales managers do not tell salesman what is coming in as they want to sell bikes on the floor... by putting money down your a done deal...

DX was definitely worth the wait.

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
Dealership service to it's customers varies widely. It all starts with the owner and trickles down through management on how they want their customer base treated. What you are seeing right now is the part of the year when the service department is busy to a point of being swamped. It's riding season and everybody wants their bike NOW. The good news is that new purchases (like yours) go to the top of the list for delivery. That gets the cash in and positive cashflow is a good thing, like mandatory from a business perspective. (Remember that point for a second....).

Being in southeastern Michigan, there are 5 dealerships within a 45 minute ride. There are some that I would not bother to pickup a free hotdog and there are one or two that handle all the work requiring specialty tools.

When it gets down to it, buy a service manual and use this forum to troubleshoot most things. Find some other V-Rod riders in your area that have worked on their own bike. They will be happy to help out.

The gas tank swap out looked very intimidating, but with a little help and the right tools (almost everything is metric) it really wasn't that bad. Yes, it was 90 miles one-way to work with someone that had already done the job, but that's part of the fun with this bike. There are people on this forum that know more about the V-Rod than some of the techs at the dealerships......

If you don't feel you are getting treated fairly, walk. (Positive cashflow point mentiond above...). Before you do, try talking to the sales manager, general manager or service manager and understanding what they have to do goes a long way. Your expectation of installing new pipes and some other options might be a little different if there are 80 bikes ahead of yours and only 5 guys in the service department and one is the manager....

You might think it's a 20 minute job but not be aware that there is another 3 hours of dyno time involved after all the basic wrenching is done.

Just my :2cents:

HoldHard

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
DJ91 said:
Is this common......?
That's nothing compared to what I went through. HD will send you a dealer survey shortly, that's your chance to let them know how good or bad your experience was.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yep. Different dealers/different policies...... as with any business short of fast food.
I don't know how the H-D dealer near where I live stays in business. No one I have ever spoken with has a nice thing to say about that dealership. I mentioned one out of two of my own experiences with them, not selling me a bike they had 7 yrs ago because they had to "leave it on the floor for another couple months (per H-D)", to the salesman I bought my DX from and he shook his head. Obviously there were other reasons they wanted to hang onto that bike. F 'em

·
Registered
512 Posts
Dealers will tell you anything to get your $$ down.

Most follow through once they have your money but others raelly don`t give a dam..

When i bought mine the dealer told me the bike was in stock in the warehouse interstate. I told him i wanted it by the weekend he said no worries ( this was Wed afternoom) he ordered the bike and had it shipped to arrive here by Friday, pre delivered it and delivered to me as promised on Saturday.

My brother bought from another dealer. Same story bike in stock in warehouse.... It took him 14 days to take delivery of his bike.... They just kept telling him it would be a few more days.

·
Registered
25 Posts
DJ91 said:
Is this common......?D

When i was shopping around for my DX here I got the run around from pretty much all the shops saying the same thing; 1k non refundable deposit plus all sorts of mark ups and overall attitude of "we only sell baggers here so the v-rods arn't our thing". I ended up driving 4 hours to a dealership where the staff was awesome. So I guess its hit or miss. (my roomie put 1k down on a sportster at a local dealership and backed out and he ended up being $1000 poorer.)

·
I'm cool now..RIGHT!
108 Posts
LIke a new car, don't you guys shop around when buying a NEW bike? Especially if you have a couple to choose from. Remember, it's a business. Go for the best price. It's the same bike where ever you buy it. You can service it anywhere after that! I always like getting them in a bidding war! :)

·
#1 Red Wings Fan
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
DRTWO,

My bad on that (not shopping around). I didn't think that was the same for motorcycle dealers as well as cars. When I did look around I found a much better dealer. However, after putting the non refundable deposit down I was stuck. The other dealer said they never require a non refundable deposit.

So my lesson has been learned... Won't happen again...

I called the shop today and all my parts are in except the Thunderheaders...

Thanks for everyones input.......

as the saying goes........

Fool me once shame on you...

Fool me twice shame on me...

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
theres always a deal somewhere

When shopping for a DX Oct 07, dealers ranged from great to being idiots. The problem is most of the salesman and people involved were "Old School" bikers and/or x-mechanics. Not to sound arrogant or cast any judgments, it's just that you're not dealing with top line professionals, they were worse than used car salesmen. One numbnut actually criticized the bike, ya snubbed his nose (a panhead guy) in fact all V's. He proceeded to tell me I could build a chopper for the same money! I'm sure he's leadin' the pack in sales. Long story short, busted my hump and manged to save a measly $700. I've since been told that was damn good for the situation. Just happy to have snagged one early on. 4000 miles and the bike continues to impress.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Congrats on your superior taste in motorcycles, DJ91. Unfortunately, the best bike on the planet is built by over-extended motor company and represented by the sorriest collection of dealers ever assembled. We (especially me) do a lot of bitchin about the dealers here, and I've tried to warn folks away from Carson City HD in Nevada.
Which stealership is giving you the high, hard one?

·
I'm cool now..RIGHT!
108 Posts
[email protected] Bike

ViagROD said:
Congrats on your superior taste in motorcycles, DJ91. Unfortunately, the best bike on the planet is built by over-extended motor company and represented by the sorriest collection of dealers ever assembled. We (especially me) do a lot of bitchin about the dealers here, and I've tried to warn folks away from Carson City HD in Nevada.
Which stealership is giving you the high, hard one?
I agree with you. I understand that there are a few technicians, etc... on the forum that seem to be the exception. Unfortunately the VAST majority of all "stealerships" as you call them :)stilpoke: hehe) are high on selling and low on satisfying. As for Harley, the Vietnam vet biker gang dudes are falling by the wayside as they age and a younger (gulf war) riding croud will NOT tolerate the same 'ole business from HD. They won't survive forever on 'tradition' and must compete for our business or become obsolete... V-rod is a great step forward, but they need to back it up rather than treat it like a bastard child...

·
Registered
911 Posts
Oh man, you are right on target, Mr. 91. Once your check is deposited, the dealers lose all interest in their customers. And you are right again about the Harley techs - they seem to have a better handle on why people buy motorcycles than Willie G hisself.
I got to ask again: Which dealer is yanking your chain?

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I judge a Stealership by the guys on parts, and if I can get to them the techs.

I am checking out a couple at the mo to see which gets my servicing and it looks like it will probably be Thames Valley.

Salesmen are all lying cheating "bar-stewards" in my humble opinion.
Sorry to tar everyone with the same brush, and I know it is their job, but it is just wrong.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well I also had a terrible expierence with a dealer in PA. I bought my DX at Cerini HD in Rostraver and had very bad service after the sale and will never step foot back in their store Eric Cerini is a true Stealership and a jerk.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts