Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a similar type of thread on another forum and thought it is an interesting subject to share on 1130cc.
The VRSCDX is the first two wheeler bike I have ever owned with very minimum 2 wheels seat time ( I have a Can-Am Spyder). I picked it up April 2010 and put 1000 miles on it by today. Guys thought I was crazy for making the purchase but I'm having a great time and got pretty good at low speed maneuvers. I had a couple of low speed calls, however managed it without a drop (Knock on wood). I'm an average built with 5.7" 160 lb. I got the reach seat/controls kit, however only installed the control kit and left the seat stock. I still can't help but smile when I crack the throttle and hang on.
With that being said, I have gone against the norm and decided to make my first bike a v rod. Most agree that this is too much bike for the beginner. Post some info that might help out those who are considering the same move.

·
Registered
837 Posts
You having close calls is enough proof that it doesnt make sense to do. Just remembering back to when I was green, wow, if i was on this bike...ahhh.

I only rode for 1 year before this on an old shadow 500, but if i hurt it i wouldnt of cared and there wasnt enough power to keep me out of trouble.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
My opinion is that it doesn't matter what bike you ride, its how you ride. Take it easy until you get experience on 2 wheels. Having said that, horsepower is addictive but as long as you control yourself, you will be ok.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
My opinion is that it doesn't matter what bike you ride, its how you ride. Take it easy until you get experience on 2 wheels. Having said that, horsepower is addictive but as long as you control yourself, you will be ok.
:them:

It only goes as fast as you make it and like they said take a riders course...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had dirtbikes when I was a kid (over 20 years ago) Got my first streetbike (VRSCR) at the beginning of June. Put almost 1000 miles on it since. (LOVIN IT!) I am taking a 3 day motorcycle course on the 23rd of July. I know there is a lot of things I don't know and can't wait to learn!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might consider taking a ridder's course.
Actually I did take 7 days rider course upon delivery of the v rod and have done considerably well. I have even taken my night rod for the M test and passed. I meant for this thread to be an encouragement for those who think that V rods are for pros. Well they are not. You do have to respect the power and things should not be so difficult if you ride wisely. Thanks for the comments guys and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
18 Posts
VRSCA is my first bike. I wanted a bike, wanted a Harley and liked the Vrod. So I went out and bought it. Took a riders course that was two days long. My first ride once I was legal went pretty smooth. After about ten minutes I felt pretty comfortable. I just took my time and didnt do anything stupid. If its your first bike go for it. Just take your time and be safe you'll do fine. Its been four months since then and I feel natural on the bike.

·
Registered
583 Posts
My DX is my second bike... first was an '05 250 Ninja.... rode that for about 3,000 miles... what a blast that thing was. Sold it for what i bought it for and am all the wiser for doing it... Im glad the DX wasnt my first bike...

·
Registered
221 Posts
To each his own but...............

I ride without a helmet sometimes and have over 30 years riding experience. When I ride without a helmet I generally only ride my 04B Model 50-55 mph. Just because the bike will do a sub 12 second quarter mile doesn't mean you have to ride like a fool. I find when I ride without a lid, I ride much more conservatively and way slower. Sure, I can get nailed by a cager at that speed also but I just like the freedom of riding without a helmet sometimes. When I ride with leathers and my full face helmet, then I cover some serious ground quickly. It's kind of funny how much safer you feel when you're wearing the correct gear but it leads to riding more aggressively and that can get you hurt also.
Ed

·
Registered
42 Posts
'06 VRSCD is my first ride too. Took a safety course and just turned in my certificate for my license.

I can see peoples points as far as getting an older cheaper bike to learn on, but I also know that since I am new at this I am going to be more cautious than if I had a bike I didn't care about dropping. I might be more inclined to push it to the limit. Not so with my V-Rod, I know it's powerful and cost me enough where I will care BIG time if I drop it so I ride conservatively and gain experience every ride.

·
The Big Bad Wolf
301 Posts
I'll chime in.

The '10 DX is my first bike as well. EVER. I bought it, took it around the block a few times and taught myself how to ride, then took a BRC. I've put 1800mi on it since early May.

I can't even get back into a car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My '04 is my first bike, but I learned how to ride on my old man's Honda and then his Road King while I was in college. I also took a rider's education course, and that helped a ton on learning basic techniques and evasive maneuvers

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Yes, Its my 1st bike, had it delivered and had no idea how to ride it so a Friend came over to test it before the delivery guy left. I Heard all "The Experts" telling me of buying a ugly bike 1st to learn on, made no sense, I want to Ride because of this Bike. I rode the big nicely paved streets in my neighborhood for a few weeks, worked my way up to some Canyons roads and than took the riders course, glad I did it that way, I feel that by riding around Before the course showed me What I was having problems with and I worked on that the most (me it was all Steering and Leaning thats was causing me trouble) They course instructors helped me out incredibly and 4 days later I was on my way with my MC endorsement. Now its 51/2 years later, bike has 74,000 miles on it and I still LOve My 1st bike instead of listening to the "Buy a Beater and ride it 1st than buy the good bike" crowd. If I am Too Stupid to learn on the Bike I want than I shouldn't drive.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
My riding experience, from birth till now, as follows

1. tri-cycle
2. roller skates
3. BMX dirt bike
4. Zorlac Skateboard (Metallica)
5. 10 speed bicycle
6. 23 speed mountain bike
7. Honda 250 motorcycle for 1 day (MSF Course provided bike during class)
8. 2003 VRSCA VROD

·
Registered
35 Posts
The first street bike I ever owned was a vrscdx. I have ridden dirt for 30+ years though and went through the motorcycle safety course at the Harley Dealer. There was a lot of differences in technique from dirt to street but the principal is the same. I would recommend buying what is comfortable to ride and using your head more than your throttle handle.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I started on a 85 Honda Interceptor 700. Had about a 10 year run with it and a 10 year gap until I goy the DX. It doesn't really matter waht you start on, you can kill youurself on a moped. Just start slow and work you way up. The miniute you think you have it all under control and get too comfortable is the day you should stop riding.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts