·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the V-Rod your first Harley?

·
Wretched Excess.....
2,067 Posts
I always wanted to patronize HD but there were many things that I considered to be important or desired that were missing. The more I researched the V-Rod, the more interest I had and all the concerns I had in the past were addressed. At the point, I had blinders on and didn't rest until I had one of my own!!! 2003 annodized anniversary model........There is no substitute.....:D

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
YES!Would Never have Bought a Regular Harley"To SLOW" Till I saw the V-rod then I new ! :thumb:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I thought harleys cost to much. When I would hear how much people would pay for one I would shake my head in wonder. Then I saw the v-rod and the money didnt mean anything any more. Now the people that I used to shake my head at are in wonder of what I bought, a v-rod. It was so out of the norm for me, but there was no other bike that really turned me on. I now have an 04 b version with custom flames and I'm in the process of makeing it even more of a hotrod! stay tuned

:jeannie: :biker:

·
KC Rally Vet
3,172 Posts
Grew up on dirt bikes, four wheelers and a '91 Honda Shadow VLX. Sold the shadow in '94 and bought the v-rod in '03. The bike isn't the expensive part, it is everything that comes after that that really gets into your pocket. :rolleyes:

·
Bike is for sale!
5,075 Posts
My fifth bike 2nd Harley. learned on FJ1100, first bike 1993 Katana 600, too slow stepped up to a 1996 CBR900RR (on of my fav. bikes untill my CVO), then trying cruiser 1999 V-Star 1100 sold to by house (never do this), borrowed 1987 CBR1000 for a season which put the bug back into me. and thats when i found 1979 xls my first Harley. I have played with this bike and learned a lot took it down to frame, and engine and have redone most of it. its my old school harley that now sits next to my NEW school, not your daddy's harley!! (Not bad for 30 year old firefighter if i do say so myself :broke: :ithappen: )

·
yellow turbo SE2
731 Posts
grew up on yamaha, from dirt bike to street bikes, still have my '79 xs1100, which could still run next to the v-rod all day long, never really had the desire for a harley because I thought they just werent powerful enough, when I saw and heard about the v-rod just had to have one. scuba

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yes and no. Is this my first REAL Harley, yes. But as a young teenager, I did own a AMF H-D 90 streetbike so technically no.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The V-rod is my second Harley this year. I had not ridden for 15 years and due to working out of state for a period of time I did not have a valid motorcycle license. I looked at a lot of bikes, but my wife and a co-worker talked me into getting a HD. I purchased a Super Glide Sport on Memorial Day. I put about 4000 miles on the bike and liked it, but could not get over twisting the throttle on the interstate at 70mph and feeling the bike slowly accelerate.

Rode the V-rod and the KC open house and new I had to get one. I traded my "old" bike three weeks later.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My V Rod is my 4th bike. 1st - Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic, 2nd BMW R1150R, 3rd 2001 Triumph Sprint ST. I always loved the look and sound of Harleys, but didn't think the premium price was worth it. Plus I like sportier type bikes. Then when the 02 V Rod came out, I new this was the right bike for me.

·
Billy
3,464 Posts
First Harley, second bike. Had a Vulcan 750 about 10 years ago. When I bought the V-rod I was actually going there to buy the anniversary softail. It didn't feel right but the V-rod felt just right (said Goldielocks). My wife was the one who fell in love with the V-rod and kinda nudged me that way. I love that woman! She always did know whats best for me. :thumb:

·
LIVE FULL THROTTLE
1,385 Posts
"HOG RD" is my 4th "MOTOR", 3rd Harley...My problem, they are all "FAMILY"..They all have names...#1."HOG DR" #2. "FULL T" and the VRSC, #3. "HOG RD"

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yes, it's my first H-D. Until the V-Rod was released they didn't make anything that interested me at all.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Looks like the numbers haven't changed much since 6 months ago.
Harley is still attracting first time buyers with the Vrod. I would expect some Sportster defections too.

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
first bike bsa bantam 125 2nd Honda Benly 125 3d Yamaha Yds3 250 ,4th Triumph Saint Bonnie 650cc 5th Kawasaki Mach 3 6th Yamaha dt 360 7th Yamaha TD1C Production Racer 250 cc 8th Bmw r600/6 9th Honda 4 k2 10th Honda 4 K6 11th Husquvarna 450 Desert Master 12th husqvarna 400 wr 13th husqvarna 360 wr 14th Harley Sporster xlh 1200 15th harley fatboy 16th Harley Vrod Vrsca 2002 ......

·
EXCELSIOR
8,378 Posts
Back in 69 at age 14 I developed serious Sportster lust but could never afford one during the 70s. Had various BSA, Triumph, Honda and Yamaha models but quit biking in the mid 80s.
Had often thought about another scoot but could never settle on any particular brand or model. As harleys go the Sporty was an anachronism I could never get into the Big Twins.
In 98 I was at a vendor to HD when they made me aware of a "new model" that was in developement but divulged no details. I seached the internet actively but did not come across any hints till around 01 when the blacked out "P4" photos started appearing.
Was perusing a cycle mag either late 01 or early 02 when the foldout V-Rod poster insert and annoucment aticle made it's debut and was in lust all over again. Pulled out the poster and tacked it up in the garage. The wife new that something was afoot. I never would have plunked down the green though.
Earlier this year my wife's son, her older brother and a couple his friends were planning a trip to Key West. Most opted out except for those 2. Her brother has serious health issues, heart, cancer etc., and I didn't feel they were taking it seriously enough.
I offered to follow in my truck with her brothers enclosed trailer in tow and when he felt puny we could load it back in the trailer and follow or I could ride while he drove in air conditioned comfort.
Then I thought we this is an opportunity to rent a V-rod for a couple weeks.
My wife elected with their help to surprise me with one instead.
I love riding again and the only regret I have is that it's not a practical 2 up cruiser. She's been on a couple times but the riding position is much too cramped for long.
My brother's wife commented that it is just a reason to add to the stable. Wishfull thinking.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts