Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can for the record, say that for me, the "R" is not much for touring. Perhaps it is my old bones, but it was work to stay on it past 5 hrs.
The bike ran flawlessly, without complaint, in mid 90's heat, down to Ft. Knox, and back, (no, I didnt bring any gold bars back,,, ) Pouring rain, Harsh sun, high speeds, it barely noticed. Though I noticed that it has an appetite for gas, (I'm running the milage now, )Anyway, I love the bike, it is everything I like in a bike, so even if it isnt a comfy tourer, thats okay. I really dont have to ride that far to enjoy it.
The Kentucky countryside is a pleasure to ride in, and who can resist a waffle house breakfast. So if you find yourself down there in Bluegrass country, take some time to look around.

·
Proud R Pilot
372 Posts
Maybe you shoud change the seat? I like the stock seat and I have been putting 600 mile days on mine since I got it, unill my recent crash, but I'll be back to it in a couple of weeks!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Geezer 55 said:
I can for the record, say that for me, the "R" is not much for touring. Perhaps it is my old bones, but it was work to stay on it past 5 hrs.
The bike ran flawlessly, without complaint, in mid 90's heat, down to Ft. Knox, and back, (no, I didnt bring any gold bars back,,, ) Pouring rain, Harsh sun, high speeds, it barely noticed. Though I noticed that it has an appetite for gas, (I'm running the milage now, )Anyway, I love the bike, it is everything I like in a bike, so even if it isnt a comfy tourer, thats okay. I really dont have to ride that far to enjoy it.
The Kentucky countryside is a pleasure to ride in, and who can resist a waffle house breakfast. So if you find yourself down there in Bluegrass country, take some time to look around.
So . . . . . . . .
did you bring any gold bars back? :chair:

·
rom.1:16
64 Posts
I did a 4 day tour on the R last year, here is my solution for comfortable touring. I took the windshield, luggage rack, sissy bar, and bags off and stuffed them in a closet. Then I got out the checkbook and bought a 99 BMW R1100RT. Next I took the R in for some powder coating, D&D exhaust and a power commander, joker mirrors, ect. Now its loud, fast, and way more fun than a 48 year old needs. And for the one or two long trips a year the RT works great.

·
Pale, acute, mobile
159 Posts
I bought my R with the specific intent to turn it into a sport touring platform. It needed a fair amount of help: windshield, bags, luggage rack, upgraded saddle, taller handlebars, engine guards, highway pegs, driving lights, permanent Gerbing thermostat, yada, yada, yada. With the change in seating position due to the taller bars, I found that I need to modify the profile of the Sundowner seat I installed.

The result is, for me, an excellent touring platform. As Geezer noted, the motor and drivetrain are perfectly happy running all day in all varieties of conditions. So far this season I've had the bike out to the east coast twice. In a few weeks I'll be heading out on a two-week tour that will extend to the west coast.

Got the passion. Got the bike. Gotta ride.

Ghost

·
Silver Bullet
540 Posts
I have ridden mine 500 miles in one day, it can be done. But the VRod will never be a true turing bike. At best it can be a good compromise between touring and sport riding and boulavard cruising. But then most people buy this bike because it goes and does it with style.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is most likely, just my old bones, (old everything,well,almost everything,,) causing the trouble, it might be no different on the most tour friendly bike made. This body has been thru some mileage. anyway, for those less decrepit, it is still better than most I have ridden any distance.
The seat could use some help, no doubt,but it is a sport cruiser, so I wont complain too much.
No, no gold bars, I dont think anyone could get close to the repository, you can see it from the highway, quite a sight. Well, now to go wash off the bugs N' stuff.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Geezer....get yourself a second bike for touring. In my case its a Goldwing, I'll always have a touring bike in my garage. We run back to back 1,000 mile days with no issues, Oh were tired by the end of the day but not beat up. Were leaving on the 28th for roughly a 5500 mile leisurely run.

I really like my Vrod but it beats me up to bad to consider taking it on 1,000 mile days. For me even a 700 mile day would be too much and my SO wouldnt consider it.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
I am with Ghost - the platform is fine. Change the seat, bars and add saddlebags and a windshield. Alternate peg mounts, a passenger backrest, and a luggage rack. All set. JMHO, Joe

·
Pale, acute, mobile
159 Posts
Joseph said:
I really like my Vrod but it beats me up to bad to consider taking it on 1,000 mile days. For me even a 700 mile day would be too much and my SO wouldnt consider it.
I've done 1000-mile days on the Cruiser (but not back-to-back) and consider the Vector to be much easier on the body for long distances.

Admittedly, none of those 1000-mile days was with a passenger. Joseph is correct that the passenger seating arrangement on the Gold Wing is hard to beat.

Ghost

·
electric soup
747 Posts
Geezer 55 said:

get some whiskey down yer neck......revenge is sweet! :D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
scottish R said:
get some whiskey down yer neck......revenge is sweet! :D
Aye that! A well aged dram will make the body forget many things. (thats how some guys end up married) More Whisky! The mileage came out to about 40.3 mpg. i had head winds going south, storm winds coming North. It didnt occur to me that there may be someone from the forum near where I was heading . Sorry 3 Olive .

·
Nucking Futs
1,109 Posts
The seat is the key as are the pants you wear. Did you at least go to the Patton Museum at the base? Every time I go to Ft Knox I spend a few hours at the museum. My childhood friend's father commanded the King Tiger (TigerII) they have on display there. It's a first class armor museum, just don't go beyond the designated perimeter unless you're active military or DOD with business on the base.

·
Bad ride inside
505 Posts
I had a gel pad done in my seat but I do wonder why an R was chosen to be a tour type bike knowing well that it was engineered to carve up the road and be ridden aggressive. Im not bashing but seems that there are other vrods more comfy for the touring crowd than the "R".

·
VRSCRT
193 Posts
rode from Houston Tx to Colorado and on to the Grand Canyon and back to Houston ( with a stopover in Phoenix to see Nick Trask) on a stock R. 4000 miles in 9 days. Colorado has some great roads to ride hard if you like the curves. never owned a couch- i mean touring bike. thought any motorcycle was good to ride as far as you wanted .

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bmeister said:
The seat is the key as are the pants you wear. Did you at least go to the Patton Museum at the base? Every time I go to Ft Knox I spend a few hours at the museum. My childhood friend's father commanded the King Tiger (TigerII) they have on display there. It's a first class armor museum, just don't go beyond the designated perimeter unless you're active military or DOD with business on the base.
Ah funny you should ask. That was the reason for my trip. tho i remember there being more vehicles to see, perhaps I missed part of it. But i'm planning a return visit with proper photo equipment maybe later this year, when the ROTC folks have gone home. The room avail. is tight when they are in town. I did shoot some pics W/ a single use, not as crisp, but something to look at. I stayed in Radcliff. gotta love the Waffle house,,,, The bike's seat, (and mine,) are stock, Jeans are Levi's relaxed fit. (fer us Geezers, no rockports tho, not that old,,,)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hannibal said:
rode from Houston Tx to Colorado and on to the Grand Canyon and back to Houston ( with a stopover in Phoenix to see Nick Trask) on a stock R. 4000 miles in 9 days. Colorado has some great roads to ride hard if you like the curves. never owned a couch- i mean touring bike. thought any motorcycle was good to ride as far as you wanted .
The bike is a great ride, perhaps just not for my 56 yr old frame.And I do ride agressively, too many trucks around not too. (more twist, more go.) I do have a tourer,see attached.

Attachments

·
Pale, acute, mobile
159 Posts
boostinbaja said:
I had a gel pad done in my seat but I do wonder why an R was chosen to be a tour type bike knowing well that it was engineered to carve up the road and be ridden aggressive. Im not bashing but seems that there are other vrods more comfy for the touring crowd than the "R".
Touring and carving corners are not, repeat not, mutually exclusive. You ever heard of "sport-touring"? :stilpoke:

Personally, I got tired of replacing the bits and pieces of my '92 FLSTC that were constantly scraping in corners while out on tour. I knew I wanted the Revolution motor, but the lean angles on all the V-rods were only three degrees better than my old Softail (32 vs 29 -- H-D touring models are also 32-degrees).

Then two miracles occured.
1. The debut VRSCR with 40-degree lean angles and a five-gallon fuel tank.
2. Factory and aftermarket solutions for windshield, bags, etc.

Decision made.
Happiness achieved.

Ghost

1 - 20 of 34 Posts