Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my last bike, a yamaha R1, it was posible to hit the catalist out of the exhaust, did anyone try to remove it allready?

·
Registered
254 Posts
When I took my stock exhaust off last night, it looked like there were still somekind of baffles in the end of the pipes still on the bike... is this the catalytic converter?

If so, mine are welded inside the pipe it appears, and not readily removeable... seems the only way to bypass them would be to go with completely new headers.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
I am not correcting you, just trying to find out what you are reffering to.

Catalyst:
1. a substance that causes or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected.

I am not sure such a thing resides in a Vrod exhaust...

I believe that there is a baffle that can be romoved...try searching "v-mod"

You can also get a better sound by simply drilling holes in the back of the pipes...

·
I'm 'avin hoops
695 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
I am not correcting you, just trying to find out what you are reffering to.

Catalyst:
1. a substance that causes or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected.

I am not sure such a thing resides in a Vrod exhaust...

I believe that there is a baffle that can be romoved...try searching "v-mod"

You can also get a better sound by simply drilling holes in the back of the pipes...
International V-Rod's all have a cat in them. No idea on removal but they are included as part of EU emission requirements.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Kieron said:
International V-Rod's all have a cat in them. No idea on removal but they are included as part of EU emission requirements.
Ohhh...

Might be easier to just get US slip-ons? I have a set from an 03 and I am in Germany...

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Do you know where the catalyst is? I would guess it is in the third volume, between the headers and the mufflers. If that is the case, you could probably get a third volume from the US and remove your catalyst.

·
fire up !
700 Posts
rjrivero said:
I would guess it is in the third volume, between the headers and the mufflers.
correct !
rjrivero said:
If that is the case, you could probably get a third volume from the US and remove your catalyst.
RJ, do you happen to have a partnr. for the 07DX's US 3rd vol (and maybe the price also ?) looking to dump the cat, it prevents getting the O2 probe in hence resulting in non-accurate A/F ratio readings
thx

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roadhog said:
correct !
RJ, do you happen to have a partnr. for the 07DX's US 3rd vol (and maybe the price also ?) looking to dump the cat, it prevents getting the O2 probe in hence resulting in non-accurate A/F ratio readings
thx
Did you find the part number and maybe a price tag?
11 aug. I'm up for my 1000 miles check and what to replace it after.
Thinking about the TAB slash cut tips i.c.w. a PCIIIusb.
Does anyone have a mapping jet for the TAB's?

·
fire up !
700 Posts
DutchRider said:
Did you find the part number and maybe a price tag?
nope, was hoping someone w/07DX parts manual here could shed some light, will try via dealer tomorrow, if you should find it let me know ok ?
grtz

·
fire up !
700 Posts
Mark Ducati said:
When I took my stock exhaust off last night, it looked like there were still somekind of baffles in the end of the pipes still on the bike... is this the catalytic converter?
if that were true, what would a catalytic convertor be doing on a domestic model ? thought these cats were fitted on international (EU) models only ? does make me believe now that the cat must be further upstream than where i first assumed it was, damn

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
yes it's in the center piece of EU models and it's a ceramic type, you can hammer it out.
But of course that's not allowed ;)

·
fire up !
700 Posts
Jan-Dirk said:
yes it's in the center piece of EU models and it's a ceramic type, you can hammer it out.
But of course that's not allowed ;)
J-D thanks for chiming in, any preference or tips for the non-allowed :D removal ? or is there only 1 poss way to do it ? i would do it for A/FR measuring purposes but do you have any knowlegde this would bump up performance also or is it just a rumour ... i've a feeling you know more/done it... i could be mistaken of course
grtz und danke !

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Some users have cut a big window in the center section, removed the cat in one piece, inserted pipes (in order to reduce void space - decel bangs) and rewelded all. There were some pictures somewhere either in the gallery or the German section, I can't fin them now :(
Anyhow, the easiest solution is to buy an US centerpiece on ebay - it will fit your bike without any mods.
When you're done with it you should fit the SE airfilter and have a dealer "install" the screaming eagle calibration file into your ECM.
The biggest improvement is the sound and something between 3 and 5 HP.

·
fire up !
700 Posts
Jan-Dirk said:
Anyhow, the easiest solution is to buy an US centerpiece on ebay - it will fit your bike without any mods.
When you're done with it you should fit the SE airfilter and have a dealer "install" the screaming eagle calibration file into your ECM.
The biggest improvement is the sound and something between 3 and 5 HP.
J-D, I do already have a K&N + PCUSBIII on the bike, when i should find a US centerpiece or be able to remove the cat, do you think just a retune of the PCIII (with dyno) would take care of things ? or is the SE recalibration of the ECM a must ?
thx

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Roadhog said:
J-D, I do already have a K&N + PCUSBIII on the bike, when i should find a US centerpiece or be able to remove the cat, do you think just a retune of the PCIII (with dyno) would take care of things ? or is the SE recalibration of the ECM a must ?
thx
You should be able to get the PCIII tuned for the new 3rd volume. I don't have a 2007 parts manual, so I can't tell you for sure what the part number is for the DX.

You *could* get one for a D or an R and ceramic coat it flat black, or even use flat black barbque paint for it.

RJ

·
fire up !
700 Posts
Jan-Dirk said:
yeah, pcIII will work
rjrivero said:
You should be able to get the PCIII tuned for the new 3rd volume. I don't have a 2007 parts manual, so I can't tell you for sure what the part number is for the DX.

You *could* get one for a D or an R and ceramic coat it flat black, or even use flat black barbque paint for it.

RJ
thanks to both !
grtz

1 - 17 of 17 Posts